Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jun 1, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #331 of 2,313
Interesting, I think that this DAP lacks absolutely nothing, no matter if I use revealing IEMs or smooth and warm sounding ones. May I ask what are your IEMs?
After more than 80 hours playing time (and 3 different firmware), I think that the player sounds as glorious as the 1st time I heard it. No burn-in believer here.
I see. I'm using Magaosi K5, partnered with iBasso DX120. I don't use any other gears, just those 2, almost for a year now and I use it everyday. So I can say that I somewhat memorized its sound signature. So when I switched to DTR1, I find it smoother sounding compared to dx120. It made the dx120 sound aggressive with more sparkle. Maybe I got used to the sound and my brain is still adjusting to the sound of DTR1? lol

PS: will upgrade to S8f in the future, hoping to get some feedback from you since I know you own both the dtr and s8f. :)

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #334 of 2,313
On on
I see. I'm using Magaosi K5, partnered with iBasso DX120. I don't use any other gears, just those 2, almost for a year now and I use it everyday. So I can say that I somewhat memorized its sound signature. So when I switched to DTR1, I find it smoother sounding compared to dx120. It made the dx120 sound aggressive with more sparkle. Maybe I got used to the sound and my brain is still adjusting to the sound of DTR1? lol

PS: will upgrade to S8f in the future, hoping to get some feedback from you since I know you own both the dtr and s8f. :)
I heard of your items through reviews, I never heard them myself. K5 comes as a treble friendly set and the DX120 as quite neutral as well, with good musicality. I might be wrong, please correct me if I am mistaken. Switching from a setup to another needs acclimatation. I have 3 portable set-ups at home or in the office, so I regulartly need 30 minutes to a hour in order to get my ears/brain right. The DTR1 technically is the most capable I own, but not the most "musical". My new Calyx M does better, but sacrifies a hint of clarity and speed. I love them both. Wait before investing in the S8F. It is an amazing set for sure. Nevertheless, depending on your taste, a hybrid or single DD (at lesser cost) could do the trick. Actually, I am quite fond of the DTR1/Final E5000 combo.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #335 of 2,313
On on

I heard of your items through reviews, I never heard them myself. K5 comes as a treble friendly set and the DX120 as quite neutral as well, with good musicality. I might be wrong, please correct me if I am mistaken. Switching from a setup to another needs acclimatation. I have 3 portable set-ups at home or in the office, so I regulartly need 30 minutes to a hour in order to get my ears/brain right. The DTR1 technically is the most capable I own, but not the most "musical". My new Calyx M does better, but sacrifies a hint of clarity and speed. I love them both. Wait before investing in the S8F. It is an amazing set for sure. Nevertheless, depending on your taste, a hybrid or single DD (at lesser cost) could do the trick. Actually, I am quite fond of the DTR1/Final E5000 combo.

I see. So I guess I really need to take some time to let my brain adjust with its sound combination. Cuz honestly, the first time I heard it, it sounds "okay", similar to DX120 at most, however, the gap rises if I take my time listening to it. Definitely a different experience when I tried the QP1r, which sounds so natural coming from DX120, it blew away right off the bat without even adjusting. lol

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #336 of 2,313
I see. So I guess I really need to take some time to let my brain adjust with its sound combination. Cuz honestly, the first time I heard it, it sounds "okay", similar to DX120 at most, however, the gap rises if I take my time listening to it. Definitely a different experience when I tried the QP1r, which sounds so natural coming from DX120, it blew away right off the bat without even adjusting. lol
Then you maybe better invest into the QP1R and sell your DTR1. Don't force yourself too much to like the DTR1 more than the DX120. There are DAPs and IEMs for everyone out there. Trying, buying, selling, loving and hating stuff is part of the hobby.
On the other side, I have learned something over the years: I rarely kept items which impressed me at first place. The DTR1 knocked me down pretty quick. Now that I have it since a few weeks, I surprise myself loving it more and more and not the other way around. Enjoy your audio journey! It is a nice one... :)

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #337 of 2,313
Very good reply. Everybody likes different stuff and that's good. I've bought and sold loads of stuff just to hear different things. Like you say some I really liked, some not so much. Same with headphones and earphones.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #338 of 2,313
Very good reply. Everybody likes different stuff and that's good. I've bought and sold loads of stuff just to hear different things. Like you say some I really liked, some not so much. Same with headphones and earphones.
Most of my cash went into full sized headphones, desktop amps and dacs. At the end, I sold everything, keeping 2 amps, 1 turntable, 2 cd-players, 1 dac and 2 headphones. But I am more and more listening to my portable rigs...

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #339 of 2,313
Most of my cash went into full sized headphones, desktop amps and dacs. At the end, I sold everything, keeping 2 amps, 1 turntable, 2 cd-players, 1 dac and 2 headphones. But I am more and more listening to my portable rigs...
If you could come to CanJam London I would let you listen to my brand new Stealth Tera-Player.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #340 of 2,313
If you could come to CanJam London I would let you listen to my brand new Stealth Tera-Player.
This is a very nice proposition of yours. Thank you. I am flatted. Unfortunately, I am spending a month in Denmark with wife and kids at that time. Next time maybe.
Question: Are the Tera Players still only supporting WAV format?

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #342 of 2,313
Yes, the Tera-Player supports only WAV since 2011 when it was first released.
WAV only and no screen make the Tera-Player the ultimate hardcore portable player available. One of the most expensive too. Soundwise, a lot of afficionados reported not being able coming back to something else. Considering price and limitations in terms of format and navigation of the Tera-Player, it would be nice to get a DTR1 vs. Tera Player comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #343 of 2,313
Then you maybe better invest into the QP1R and sell your DTR1. Don't force yourself too much to like the DTR1 more than the DX120. There are DAPs and IEMs for everyone out there. Trying, buying, selling, loving and hating stuff is part of the hobby.
On the other side, I have learned something over the years: I rarely kept items which impressed me at first place. The DTR1 knocked me down pretty quick. Now that I have it since a few weeks, I surprise myself loving it more and more and not the other way around. Enjoy your audio journey! It is a nice one... :)

Yeah, but I like small sized daps, like the 120 and dtr1, just need to adjust. lol

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #344 of 2,313
This is a very nice proposition of yours. Thank you. I am flatted. Unfortunately, I am spending a month in Denmark with wife and kids at that time. Next time maybe.
Question: Are the Tera Players still only supporting WAV format?
Don't let your wife and kids read that.... :D

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #345 of 2,313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back