Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
May 9, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #182 of 2,313
Ok, I pulled the trigger via Penon Audio based on the impressions read on this thread. I don't need any Wi-Fi or Android or App or BT, just music played back as good as it gets. I will report my own impression on this thread a few days upon receival.

May 10, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #183 of 2,313
Answer from Penon about the version I'll get:

"Thanks for your order , I confirmed that this DAP is newest version , the SNR is 117DB"

May 10, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #185 of 2,313
No case is included. The one pictured earlier in the thread is, I was told, a prototype. It can be ordered from Penon Audio.

May 12, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #186 of 2,313
My opinion is around the same, and a great job to lunatic for the review.

Penon has the final production version

Yes should be don't worry

Answer from Penon about the version I'll get:

"Thanks for your order , I confirmed that this DAP is newest version , the SNR is 117DB"

Thanks for the assurance guys. Anyway, I pulled the trigger. Hopefully it will exceed my expectations since this will be a blind buy. Pretty much my standard is around DX120's level, will be replacing it with the DTR1. Looking forward whether it is a real upgrade sq-wise. lol

May 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #187 of 2,313
"The special design in the power supplies means the DTR1 needs a proprietary power adapter with a micro HDMI connector. It cannot be charged via USB. I'll have to pack one more thing when I am traveling which is less than ideal. But after talking with the developer I believe the specially designed power supplies contribute a lot to the sounds and the power of this small DAP that we should learn to live with this minor nuisance."
Thanks for the great Review. What does the power supply look like? Any chance to post photo next to the player.
- Wish this could be charged with a USB-C PD (Power Delivery) cable/charger. Those are becoming more universal and can supply up to at least 22.5 volts.
- Does the charger provide 2 different voltages for 2 different voltage batteries? (Only reason I can think that a special connector would be needed for power...)
* Having to carry an extra power supply; and maybe not being able to replace it easily is not a Plus for me...

Also I can't tell if @IryxBRO likes the sound or not from his review/comments. He thinks treble is increased? And reports "more hiss". Not sure if that is hiss with sensitive iems. Or if it's sibilance ? or Both
- Has anyone used low impedance/high efficiency iems like Andromeda on this DTR1 ? How is the background hiss? Do you hear more sibilance with the DTR1 vs other DAPs?

Like the concept of this player, but there are not a lot of reviews around yet.

May 13, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #188 of 2,313
Thanks for the great Review. What does the power supply look like? Any chance to post photo next to the player.
- Wish this could be charged with a USB-C PD (Power Delivery) cable/charger. Those are becoming more universal and can supply up to at least 22.5 volts.
- Does the charger provide 2 different voltages for 2 different voltage batteries? (Only reason I can think that a special connector would be needed for power...)
* Having to carry an extra power supply; and maybe not being able to replace it easily is not a Plus for me...

Also I can't tell if @IryxBRO likes the sound or not from his review/comments. He thinks treble is increased? And reports "more hiss". Not sure if that is hiss with sensitive iems. Or if it's sibilance ? or Both
- Has anyone used low impedance/high efficiency iems like Andromeda on this DTR1 ? How is the background hiss? Do you hear more sibilance with the DTR1 vs other DAPs?

Like the concept of this player, but there are not a lot of reviews around yet.

Look at the pic of wall charger.

_DSC1412.jpg

Can't tell anything about Andromeda but my beloved Oxygen show very small extra sibilances with DTR1 compared to R6Pro. Not annoying at all, escpecially if to consider such an increase in overall clarity and detalization.

I LOVE the sound for its different perspective and fresh experience... I would share my review today (perhaps)

May 13, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #189 of 2,313
Look at the pic of wall charger.

Can't tell anything about Andromeda but my beloved Oxygen show very small extra sibilances with DTR1 compared to R6Pro. Not annoying at all, escpecially if to consider such an increase in overall clarity and detalization.

I LOVE the sound for its different perspective and fresh experience... I would share my review today (perhaps)

Thanks for the quick reply! Charger does not look so big... So nice and portable. Unsure what the "+8.4v 600ma, -8.4v 300ma" actually means... Really think a USB-C PD charger would have been more universal/better.
But I could easily be missing some key feature the supplied charger brings. Guess One would have to buy a 2nd charger as a spare; since it is so different that any other? Probably too late for manufacturer to consider changing/updating this...

Anyway, good to hear you are enjoying the sound and clarity. That is the main reason we buy DAPs !

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #191 of 2,313
May 16, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #192 of 2,313
Finally, the review has been finalized and added:

My blog: LINK
HeadFi: LINK

Nice Review !

Hey, just checking... I see that you show the s/n spec as 105db SNR ... Penon and Others here say that the "newest" version has a 117db SNR.
Do you know which one your player has? The 105 or recently ungraded 117db. (Not that I am sure if it affects the overall sound in any other way or not...)

May 16, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #193 of 2,313
Nice Review !

Hey, just checking... I see that you show the s/n spec as 105db SNR ... Penon and Others here say that the "newest" version has a 117db SNR.
Do you know which one your player has? The 105 or recently ungraded 117db. (Not that I am sure if it affects the overall sound in any other way or not...)

Not sure which version exactly I have. Not really bothered about that much since I like the sound...

May 16, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #194 of 2,313
First tracks played tonight. Ok, let's say it... It is an amazing sounding DAP. Powerful, clear sounding, but not cold in my opinion. It has a very faint touch of warmth actually, which makes the DTR1 (or Prelude) very interesting. Lots of details, great separation but not sterile sounding. I am impressed. Only complain so far: a small imperfection on my screen (see 1st picture below). And we need a case!! This is a fingerprint magnet, especially the back side. Soundwise, it outclasses my Sony ZX300 by quite a margin. The old Cowon Plenue M2 is a better competitor with the great Burr Brown PCM1793 and the Jet Effect EQ, but the Prelude goes the extra mile and will be my DAP at home. No way I am taking this baby outside without a case.

IEMs are Fearless S8F (8BA) and Final E5000 (single DD). The Fearless is very efficient, hisses just a hint and delivers terrifying amount of details. The E5000 needs high gain, 50% volume to really shine. The E5000 is technically less capable than the S8F, but combined to the DTR1, it is a machine gun throwing analog sounding honey into your ears. I am floored. For USD 1K (OC Studio cable and 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter incl.) you get an outstanding portable system.
IMG_20190516_214011.jpg
IMG_20190516_214422.jpg
IMG_20190516_214605.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #195 of 2,313
Finally, the review has been finalized and added:

My blog: LINK
HeadFi: LINK
Based on my first 4 hours listening session tonight, I think that your review is spot on. You said everything, going to the point, without blablabla, congrats. It is quite an experience this DAP... Honeymoon time on my side, so I will wait a few days before coming back with a more "objective" feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back