Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
May 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #196 of 2,313
Based on my first 4 hours listening session tonight, I think that your review is spot on. You said everything, going to the point, without blablabla, congrats. It is quite an experience this DAP... Honeymoon time on my side, so I will wait a few days before coming back with a more "objective" feedback.

You welcome. All of my opinion comes out from the comparison to the equipement that has passed through my hands, eyes and ears. Thereofore, not the ultimate one.

May 17, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #197 of 2,313
First tracks played tonight. Ok, let's say it... It is an amazing sounding DAP. Powerful, clear sounding, but not cold in my opinion. It has a very faint touch of warmth actually, which makes the DTR1 (or Prelude) very interesting.

I agree with you and that's why I've written "tending to colder tonality". It is not cold, but it is bright and this clarity bears the perception of a colder sound. Anyway, this is where the most of the difference in the experience and the use of a specific headphones is concentrated. In my A/B tests R6Pro sounds warmer and DTR1 colder with the same IEMs. But when switching to ATH-M50 - the difference gets subtle.

May 17, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #198 of 2,313
I asked about a case to come, but Anson from Dethonray confirmed that there is no option at the moment. I hope there will be some available soon.

May 17, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #199 of 2,313
This DAP is sounding more and more interesting, I'm sorely tempted to get one to test it. I shall email them to check on the Asia pricing.

There are only a couple of DAPs that truly blow my mind (granted I don't listen to alot of DAPs especially the ridiculously expensive one), first is the QP1R, the only DAP that sounds like a desktop setup, and secondly the Alien+. Even my daily driver the Pioneer 300R doesn't come close to these daps. Hoping that the DTR1 will belong to the same tier of daps as those two.
Lol u joking? I compared QP2R with 300r from balanced ACG and Questile is maybe 2% better. Maybe..

May 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #200 of 2,313
Three DAPs with a price tag well under the USD 1k mark. All of them are very portable and excels at music playback. The Prelude just does it better than the others two. Cowon Plenue M2 is a close second.
10 hours in with the Prelude, I am still impressed so far.
IMG_20190517_210307.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #201 of 2,313
20 hours in. Final E5000, high gain. I never heard such a level of details so far. The E5000 is not a detail monster by itself, but combined with the DTR1 and the FiiO A5 for extra black background, it has been transformed. I am more than impressed now, I am puzzled. How can a player with no EQ, AK4490 single DAC chip and 3.5mm sounds so good? I listened to the AK SP1000M 2 months ago and I was amazed as well. The DTR1 just outclasses it. Only the midrange of the SP1000M remains something special, otherwise no chance against the DTR1. I am wondering about what is achievable in the near future, if the real good and competent guys or girls from Dethonray are going to manufacture their next DAPs and keep that quality. We are talking about basic UI, unfancy design and basic features. Honestly, I could leave the hobby now (see signature). But no. Dethonray will most likely releases new stuff and I want to be there when it comes out. Buy that DAP.

May 18, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #202 of 2,313
20 hours in. Final E5000, high gain. I never heard such a level of details so far. The E5000 is not a detail monster by itself, but combined with the DTR1 and the FiiO A5 for extra black background, it has been transformed. I am more than impressed now, I am puzzled. How can a player with no EQ, AK4490 single DAC chip and 3.5mm sounds so good? I listened to the AK SP1000M 2 months ago and I was amazed as well. The DTR1 just outclasses it. Only the midrange of the SP1000M remains something special, otherwise no chance against the DTR1. I am wondering about what is achievable in the near future, if the real good and competent guys or girls from Dethonray are going to manufacture their next DAPs and keep that quality. We are talking about basic UI, unfancy design and basic features. Honestly, I could leave the hobby now (see signature). But no. Dethonray will most likely releases new stuff and I want to be there when it comes out. Buy that DAP.

Is it really that good? Endgame?

May 19, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #203 of 2,313
Is it really that good? Endgame?
I know that I am raving about that player, but I cannot listen to something else at the moment. Such a balanced, clear and powerful sound. The E5000 sound like another IEM now. But my others IEM are also benefiting from the DTR1, to a lesser extent though.

Is it that good? Oh yes.
Is it endgame? There is no such thing :)

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #204 of 2,313
The sound is good, no doubt about it. This thing is also very powerful, it can drive MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed with breeze and they are hard to drive because of low impedance and low sensitivity. But I listen mostly with Hidition New Tears 6. There is only 3.5mm single ended output, you don't have to hassle with connectors. It has no touch screen, big disadvantage for me. Power button is very close to volume button. And volume button could be bigger, thicker. UI is very simple. There is no search function. Folder view is organized somehow strangely, it's not alphabetical order but probably by date added. You can not make playlists (I think) only one favourite. I am missing also time on screen, I like when I can lit the screen and check the time. There is no option to lock the buttons. No internal memory but not big deal for me. You need special cable to transfer data to the player and also special charger and charger has built in cable (not realy happy with this). And there is more... I need to somehow put it together in my head first.

I have also some other devices with AK4490 DAC like RME ADI-2 DAC and Astell & Kern KANN so I might do some comparisons later.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #207 of 2,313
The sound is good, no doubt about it. This thing is also very powerful, it can drive MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed with breeze and they are hard to drive because of low impedance and low sensitivity. But I listen mostly with Hidition New Tears 6. There is only 3.5mm single ended output, you don't have to hassle with connectors. It has no touch screen, big disadvantage for me. Power button is very close to volume button. And volume button could be bigger, thicker. UI is very simple. There is no search function. Folder view is organized somehow strangely, it's not alphabetical order but probably by date added. You can not make playlists (I think) only one favourite. I am missing also time on screen, I like when I can lit the screen and check the time. There is no option to lock the buttons. No internal memory but not big deal for me. You need special cable to transfer data to the player and also special charger and charger has built in cable (not realy happy with this). And there is more... I need to somehow put it together in my head first.

I have also some other devices with AK4490 DAC like RME ADI-2 DAC and Astell & Kern KANN so I might do some comparisons later.
I agree with you regarding most of your points, but it's an USD 530.- player that sounds like and actually better than TOTL USD 2000+ ones. Sure, the features you mention would be great to have, but then the price would rise accordingly. I am sure you got the idea behind that player, meaning the best sound available with a solid housing and reliable components as well as a basic UI. About the folder view, I notice that my albums imported from my database are displayed following the track order and then the alphabetic order. I will try to create album folders on the SD card, so that I can navigate more easily. I will report if it works.

I listened to the KANN several times. The DTR1 is in a whole other league soundwise. Clarity, dynamic and transients are much better on the DTR1. The DAC chip alone does not make such a difference at the end of the day. A chip does not "sound" as much as we might think. It has properties that support formats or allow different sound tuning. Much more decisive in my opinion are, beyond the chip's implementation, the components used and how the audio signal is being transmitted. Yes, there is room for improvements in the DTR1. Soundwise, it already is, for me and my tastes, quite close to perfection (for a DAP). That is all what counts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back