Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
Jun 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #467 of 903
is it just me or does the driver housing look as big as an lcd-2 in the picture Steve posted lol. Friggin huge

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #468 of 903
Quote:
Anything which is designed with a 1/4 inch jack is a good hint for indoor usage!

They all have 1/8" jacks, even the 7100.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #469 of 903
Quote:
1) The feedback I've seen  yet, doesn't seem to indicate they would sound better than previous headphone (they would please to people that like the denon sound signature, all I  know). So you loose the beautiful design that was here.
2) The new  design seems intended for portability.

Here's an interesting first impression/comparison:

"This is something rather interesting.  The D7000 is a truly balanced and neutral sounding headphone and the D7100 really shows those same qualities out of the box.  The drivers will need a bit of time in developing the sound and sonic character.  So for the meantime, the sonic details and the sound-stage presence is delivered in the same fashion as with the now discontinued Denon Reference Audio Standard Line.  The D7100 may prove to be the next benchmark in the closed dynamic headphone category as even the Germans still fall into the same trap of closed and confined in sound-stage presence.  The Denon AH-D7100 has so far delivered a wide and expansive sound-stage presence with an exceptionally balanced frequency response range.  

The first twenty-four hours of listening has yielded quite impressive impressions.  Using the first album in the list of lossless albums, "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Jennifer Warnes makes for an excellent representation on how well the drivers are developed with the D7100.  The airy and warm notes developed by the double bass coupled with the exceptionally nasal like quality of the alto saxophone creates a veritable impression of being in close studio monitoring session.  Mind everybody reading this, the D7100 is the replacement of the D7000 reference headphone so it is not designed to be the type to be brought to one's office or local coffee shop.  Noise isolation is a bit better attenuated than with the D7000, but it isn't as good as with the Sennheiser HD280/380-Professional, so don't expect awesome outside noise cancellation.  The ear cups are furnished with high-quality materials for durability and long-lasting comfort during those exceptionally long listening sessions.  The headband is exceptionally comfortable for those long listening sessions as well so there won't be issues in regards to the top of the head being irritated for long wearer's comfort."

http://yklee118.blogspot.com/2012/06/launch-of-new-denon-ah-d7100.html

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #471 of 903
Quote:

Here's an interesting first impression/comparison:

"This is something rather interesting.  The D7000 is a truly balanced and neutral sounding headphone

Yeah right..

Also checked the Kimber cable "review" on the same page and it's immediately obvious that this is a worthless "audiophile" site with no basis in reality. And some strange German bashing. And lots of "I'm not an engineer but....". Yeah it's really hard to study a few audio related things.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #472 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Those are quarter-inch jacks in the picture, which had me confused when I first saw this thread.

From the specs that I can find:

1. Connections 3.5mm stereo

http://gdgt.com/denon/ah-d7100/specs/

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #473 of 903
Quote:
Yeah right..

Also checked the Kimber cable "review" on the same page and it's immediately obvious that this is a worthless "audiophile" site with no basis in reality. And some strange German bashing. And lots of "I'm not an engineer but....". Yeah it's really hard to study a few audio related things.

Guttenberg thinks it's the best Denon he's ever heard, and he has a German surname
wink_face.gif

"The Denon AH-D7100 full-size, over-the-ear headphones were simply stunning. Supercomfortable, and the sound was seriously transparent. I've reviewed some of the best Denon headphones over the years, but the AH-D7100 was vastly better-sounding. Oh, it's also the most expensive set of Denon headphones ever ($1,200), but the $500 AH-D600s were also terrific, and better than the older, more expensive Denon headphones I've tried. The headphones were "98 percent" finished designs, so production units may be slightly different."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57443746-47/denons-awesome-new-headphones/

There's plenty of more positive impressions out there, it's pretty unanimous so far for those that have heard them, that the new Denons are an improvement. Obviously YMMV.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #474 of 903
Quote:

From the specs that I can find:

1. Connections 3.5mm stereo

http://gdgt.com/denon/ah-d7100/specs/

It also says that it weighs 13 oz, which isn't too far from the weight of the LCD-2s, about which I am dubious.  In the photos it appears to terminate in a 1/4th jack as well.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #475 of 903
The photo looks to me like 3.5mm mini-plugs.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #476 of 903
2 of those terminations are 3.5mm mono jacks that go into the headphones, but the other 2, for connecting to a source, are quarter-inch, unless the headphone connectors are 16th-inch and Denon made the world's smallest in-line mic/controller combo.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #477 of 903
Quote:
The photo looks to me like 3.5mm mini-plugs.

For the connectors to the headphones themselves, those are indeed 3.5 mm.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #478 of 903
I'm speaking of the stereo terminations, not the parts that go into the headphone. Those look to me like even smaller mono proprietary connectors.

Here's another blog that claims to have specs:

http://www.sprhuman.com/portfolio/denon-ah-d7100/

This one is linked from Denon's Facebook page.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #479 of 903
I'm confused of something from that blog post. It repeatedly says "something something German-made something something". Which company/ies is he comparing to? Senn? Beyer? AFAIK, none of them have high-end closed back at the D7100 price point.

Forgive my stupidity, Ultrasone is one. I will be in the corner, cutting myself. /wrist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back