Denon d5000s sound atrociously bad. Is my sound card (auzentech x-meridian) the weak link?
Jan 31, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 33
Unless your soundcard is defective, there's no way a amp can bring headphones from an "atrociously bad" level to good.
Likewise, there's no way burn in can change the signature of headphones that much.

My guess is that either your D5000 or your soundcard is defective, or the D5000's sound signature doesn't suit you.

The best way to check that would be to try the D5000 on another audio out, someone in your entourage is bound to have a DAP.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #17 of 33
Yes good point, these are low impedence headphones and do need a bit of juice to get the best out of them, I have a small amp that I use with my ipod/imod that was specifically set up to power the Denons, the sound is marvellous.I have a cheap valve/hybrid desk type amp which is equally as good and a high end valve amp which is very good indeed.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #18 of 33
It does surprise me somewhat that the D5000needs a lot of juice, at 106 dB/mW, they are about as efficient as many IEMs, thus shouldn't need a lot of amplification.

Quote:
Yes good point, these are low impedence headphones and do need a bit of juice to get the best out of them, I have a small amp that I use with my ipod/imod that was specifically set up to power the Denons, the sound is marvellous.I have a cheap valve/hybrid desk type amp which is equally as good and a high end valve amp which is very good indeed.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #19 of 33

It's pretty funny that people are focusing on "proper" amplification, burn-in, potential fakes, broken cans, etc and are missing a very obvious problem. Sounds to me like the OP is using a surround sound sound card and instead of taking an actual stereo out is plugged into the output for the front speakers of a surround system. unless the card is configured properly that output isn't putting out a signal meant for a 2 channel system. it's putting out the sound meant for 2 channels of a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system. Even if it is configured properly it's almost certainly still intended for speakers and not headphones. I wouldn't expect it to sound good either way.
Quote:
Let me clarify: there are a few plugs on the sound card for all of the channels. front, side rear etc. I plugged the headphones into the "front" output, so its a direct shot into the soundcard. Interesting what you said though. ~2 inched from the soundcard there is a very large video card that takes up two bays. Perhaps it is throwing noise into the card/system...?

the files i am using come from ripped, original CDs at the highest bitrate and flac files I torrent. Both formats sound comparable.
And yes, I really dont care for the d5000 sound. Even if the bass was tamed, there simply isnt any mid range.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #20 of 33
the denons have a little sibilance of their own in certain frequencies..but when properly amplified the bass and highs are under control most of the time.
if i could only listen to the op's system,i could tell imediately if this is an amplification issue or not.  I have a lot of experience with the D5000.
I think that going to this meeting is a great idea for you,try your headphone with some other gear and see where is the problem.  if you can't go to the meeting do it yourself then..try them with other systems.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 33
wow, didnt know this thread was still active. I appreciate all of the feedback. 

1. i have discovered the main problem: the sound card was too close to my video card! I have a gtx 460oc video card that takes up 2 bays and it was maybe 1/2" away from the face of the meridian.
After I moved the sound card over one bay, the insane noise at the top improved dramatically.
Its funny, becasue if it wasnt for one of you posters, i never would have thought of this. Thank you.

2. However, even though the excessive noise went away, they still didnt sound "great".

I then installed my PC's speaker/subwoofer system and plugged the denon into the volume control center and the sound quality nearly doubled. Plus there is about 5x more volume. I dont know how other people are using just the auzentechs to power those phones, but my meridian absolutely does NOT have the ability to do it. And, yes the card is set to 2 ch stereo mode. They are plugged into the correct input.

3. Finally, even though all of the curtains have finally been removed, it is still obvious that the denon d5000s lack mids. There is plenty of bass, and ultra highs (still too much sibilance), but little midrange. It sounds like the drivers are made out of very think/heavy material that isnt sensitive enough to produce great detail in the mids. 

In hindsight, I believe I MAY have made the wrong choice. It was the denons vs the Beyer 880 600ohm and the Senn 650s. I made my choice with the d5000s and I will have to live with it.

Now, since plugging the cans into my volume know/control center improved it so much, (evidently my logitech sys has an amped headphone jack), I want to buy a dedicated amp. 

The Schiit company has caught my eye with their new Lyr. Its a US sourced amp, with pretty good numbers and rated for 8-600ohms..........

thanks again guys

Brian

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 33

Quote:

Since you are "stuck" in the Bay Area why don't you come out to our meet this month! See my signature for details. You can hear plenty of sources and amps on your Denon's and make sure they are working ok. You can also audition some other brands to see if there is something more to your liking. There will be plenty there youll never be able to try in a retail store.

As for your concern about finding and amp for Denon's... Not a problem, there are lots of great amps from cheap to spendy. Do a search and you'll find lots of information.

Hope to see you at the meet. Don't give up on those cans yet!

Oh, and I meant that i'm stuck here in an apartment. Nothing against the bay. Im not used to prices down here so I was in shock at the $ of rent. I moved from a large rented house to an apartment called "Beach Cove" in Foster city. Its 550 square feet and $1400/mo + water, sewer etc. 

Feels bad, man

I'm going to see what this "Meet" is all about. It will feel good to meet some new people.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 33
I would definitely suggest you upgrade your dac before getting an amp. The amp is just going to amplify your crappy source material. I used to have a Udac2 connected to a KICAS Caliente before upgrading to the HDP Icon. The Udac2 was good enough to drive my LA2000 and provided a huge difference in sound quality over traditional soundcards.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #26 of 33
Not sure how long you have burnt them in but I found my D5Ks had way to much sibilance until after 2-3 weeks of burn in. The main thing burn in did for me was tighten the bass and smooth the highs. You describe the D5Ks how I perceived them before they settled in. Maybe if you haven't burnt them in yet you will enjoy them more after they do.

But on a side note I love my D5Ks and don't understand how someone could find them so horrible. 
confused.gif

Edit: Thought I should mention that I'm running them out of the E7/E9 combo.

Quote:
wow, didnt know this thread was still active. I appreciate all of the feedback. 

1. i have discovered the main problem: the sound card was too close to my video card! I have a gtx 460oc video card that takes up 2 bays and it was maybe 1/2" away from the face of the meridian.
After I moved the sound card over one bay, the insane noise at the top improved dramatically.
Its funny, becasue if it wasnt for one of you posters, i never would have thought of this. Thank you.

2. However, even though the excessive noise went away, they still didnt sound "great".

I then installed my PC's speaker/subwoofer system and plugged the denon into the volume control center and the sound quality nearly doubled. Plus there is about 5x more volume. I dont know how other people are using just the auzentechs to power those phones, but my meridian absolutely does NOT have the ability to do it. And, yes the card is set to 2 ch stereo mode. They are plugged into the correct input.

3. Finally, even though all of the curtains have finally been removed, it is still obvious that the denon d5000s lack mids. There is plenty of bass, and ultra highs (still too much sibilance), but little midrange. It sounds like the drivers are made out of very think/heavy material that isnt sensitive enough to produce great detail in the mids. 

In hindsight, I believe I MAY have made the wrong choice. It was the denons vs the Beyer 880 600ohm and the Senn 650s. I made my choice with the d5000s and I will have to live with it.

Now, since plugging the cans into my volume know/control center improved it so much, (evidently my logitech sys has an amped headphone jack), I want to buy a dedicated amp. 

The Schiit company has caught my eye with their new Lyr. Its a US sourced amp, with pretty good numbers and rated for 8-600ohms..........

thanks again guys

Brian

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #27 of 33
There is also mental burn in with cans.  Give your ears time to adjust to the Denon presentation.  Try to focus on what you do like and find songs that bring out that factor.  
L3000.gif

Auzentech DACs are quality, no fear there.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #28 of 33

I figured you were stuck out here on business or something, I know that feeling of being stuck somewhere. Oh yeah, I remember my "adjustment" to bay area cost. 10 years after moving here I am still shocked at certain cost. It is not without it's benefits though and I'm glad it's become home.

I'd say the meet is so close now you should hold off, if you can, and try some gear out before you buy anything else. You can listen to every headphone you are considering and more. Oh, and since you mentioned it, Schitt will be there so I suspect they will bring along a Lyr to show off! It's a some what rare opportunity as these local meets seem to run about annually at best.. And if you answer no questions about your equipment, at least you can have some fun hanging out!

Hope to see you there!

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 33
I agree.
It took me a quite a while before I really started to enjoy the Denons.
I never felt they sounded like crap. but I never felt they sounded like $500 headphones either

The ocassional sibilance is no longer an issue, it never really was but now I no longer hear it.
And the Denons definitely do not need a dedicated amp, they sound amazing with everything, especially classical.
I'll stick with them, no need for another pair, my upgrade-itis is cured.

However, I can imagine the sibilance with these cans could drive people crazy, I don't mean they are very siblilant, but not everyones ears are shaped the same way and not everyone perceives sound the same way.
And it also comes down to what you are used to, my previous headphones were the Audio Technica A500's and before that the Sony CD270's, both models weren't excactly the smoothest players, so some spikey highs every now and then wasn't something new.

Give them some time and try to listen to music instead of listening to the sound, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
There is also mental burn in with cans.  Give your ears time to adjust to the Denon presentation.  Try to focus on what you do like and find songs that bring out that factor.  
L3000.gif

Auzentech DACs are quality, no fear there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back