Denon D2000 Vs D5000
Jul 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Head Fi'ers

Anyone who has owned the D5000 and D2000 are they really that much different?

Are the D5000 really worth almost double the price?

I was thinking that as they have identical drivers is it not possible to just EQ the D2000 to sound like a D5000? For example just EQ the recessed midrange by a few Db's and it will sound almost identical to the D5000? Or do they sound different regardless of EQ?

I am looking for best fast, deep sub bass and also smoothest treble out of the two.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
Hey not many people are going to be like you and have 2300 posts in 5 months
tongue.gif

Not very many have ever been like me (take that as you will).   What relevance does that have to this thread?

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Just a bit of fun to make up for your blunt post. Yeah it has been posted weekly but you obviously spend a lot of your time on these forums and the OP doesn't.

Which is part of why I mentioned it.  I was doing such research on this forum months before I made my first post.  It was very informative to me--and I've been wearing headphones for almost 50 years.

In any case, I almost always enjoy a little fun on the forum.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 29
Hmm well yes I have done a search but according to that innerfidelity article the Denons have been updated slightly so I was looking for a more up to date opinion. I think I will just get the D2000 because the D5000, although a bit better, do not really justify a 100% price increase over the D2000 from what I have read.

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 29
Yes they have been updated, all improvements with all three models. I didn't like the D5000 at all. It has a lot more bass than the D2000 (which I think is already ridiculous). 

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 29
Heya,

I have both, and honestly i only reach for the d5000. I liked it better enough to warrant the cost. It is very similar to the d2000 of course, but the bump in bass and the better mids, even though it's a minimal difference was enough of a difference to me to only want the d5000. It is still my favorite closed headphone to date.

Very best,

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 29
I have to agree with ^^^. Now that I have time to reply I'll tell you what I think. I listened to both the 2000 and 5000 and ended up buying the 5000 for $400 on amazon. Worth every penny so far and I won't be spending any more money on HP in the near future to say the least. The biggest difference between the 2000 and 5000 for me was the sound imaging. The 5000 had a significantly better soundstage and instrument separation was much more clear and concise. I also found the bass to be more controlled, present, and can really rumble when watching movies. Due to the "larger" feeling of the 5000 and, IMO, better bass it was a no brainer for me as I am a sucker for soundstage (my favorite HP is usually my HD 598s). If you feel like going for the 2000 that is fine as well. Innerfidelity praises both the 2000 and the 5000 although he says the 5000 is worth the extra $$$. Technically, the 2000 and the 5000 have the EXACT same driver. It amazes me how much the wood panelling does for the 5000 as I find them so much better. Anyways, point of this all is: "2000 and 5000 are both great headphones; you won't be disappointed with either".

Hope this helps.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Yes they have been updated, all improvements with all three models. I didn't like the D5000 at all. It has a lot more bass than the D2000 (which I think is already ridiculous). 

I find this comment odd and well...completely inaccurate IMO (sorry). I've owned two pairs of d2k and two pair of d5k. The d5k is a very nice upgrade from the d2k and worth the price in most cases depending on where you're buying from. However, the jump to the d7k from the d5k is small to my ears and often not worth the price of admission.

d2k vs d5k

On the d2k the bass favors quantity over quality. It's a touch boomy and bleeds into the somewhat recessed mids. The bass quality on the d5k is more under control with an emphasis on quality...texture and impact are done very well here. The wooden cups bring the mids a touch forward and smooth them out somewhat. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 29
there is NO PEACE until u get the d7000....we all know it...its the FORCE in headfi...obey it, sooner or later.
deadhorse.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 29
Hmm well I ordered another pair of D2000.... I got them for a good price and D5000 would have been over double the price that I payed for the D2000 so I really can't justify that unfortunately.

I had some before and sold them for some Sennheiser HD650... After a few months with the HD650, although I like the Sennheisers in a lot of ways I just can't help noticing the lack of sub bass, PRAT and general exciting sound of the Denons I used to have....

The sennheisers are good headphones especially for films and games but sadly I cannot afford to own both so it looks like they will have to go to make room for the D2000's.

I will keep the Denons until I have a bit more money then my next upgrade will be a dedicated headphone amp/dac and a pair of HIFIman HE 400's or maybe the next denons that are comming out soon.

It seems that I am a "basshead" and a "sub bass addict".... I love the bass on the Denons.... Especially with the pads modded.

Has anyone with both tried to EQ the D2000 to sound the same as the D5000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back