Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2,671 of 5,248
Enjoying my D2000 with LA angle cup and wooden cup.
Haven't brave enough to apply the damping as in MarkL mod because I believe you can't return on that point, I mean removing the dynamat from the wood cup and driver will be a hell of a job.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,672 of 5,248
This is what I have. I got some damping when I got my Bubinga cups from Mark, but never did the full MarkL mod. But just That, plus his new angled pads are really made a difference, especially in firming up the bass. Though my main squeeze is now my HE-400s, I still love my modded D2000s.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,673 of 5,248
Quote:
Enjoying my D2000 with LA angle cup and wooden cup.
Haven't brave enough to apply the damping as in MarkL mod because I believe you can't return on that point, I mean removing the dynamat from the wood cup and driver will be a hell of a job.

What differences do you notice? Worth the money?  I've always regret not getting the D5000 and D7000 now that they are discontinued as I love wood.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,674 of 5,248
Quote:

What differences do you notice? Worth the money?  I've always regret not getting the D5000 and D7000 now that they are discontinued as I love wood.

Its been a month since I modded my D2000 so this all from my blurry memory, the bass is not as much but some way it still punchy and the soundstage a bit improved. 

Btw on my mod there is a gap between the housing and the wood cup and I think it is not the case with D5000. 

I spent about $200 on the D2000 (ex demo phone, after 2 weeks get problem with cable so I claimed the warranty and get new brand set =)) and $160 for used LA angle pad + D5000 wood cup so its quite a steal for me. In the case of normal price I think I would suggest to get secondhand D5000 instead.

Now I more enjoy my D2000 with specific genre now like jazz/vocal/orchestra/instrument, I still enjoy some other genre with my phone but not as much as those genre.

One thing that I know for sure is LA angle pad give me more comfort for long usage (4-6hours) compare to stock pad.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,675 of 5,248
Nice,  I keep going back and forth about modding it as I don't see a problem with them as they are.  After reading this I got curious with listening to them again as I gave it a 1 month break after receiving my HE400.  Listening to them right now, I remember why I love them so much.  I'm still not convince how much better the HE400 is over the D2000 as I find them so much fun to listen to (wakes me up where as the HE400 calms me down).  It's not so clear where I can say "okay I'm getting rid of the D2000."  I need to do an A/B testing one day.

I don't know I find the D2000 is comfortable as it is, I can't imagine the LA pads then.

Thanks for the info, maybe when I'm done searching for that "one" headphone and have extra cash I'll mod it up.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2,676 of 5,248
Nice,  I keep going back and forth about modding it as I don't see a problem with them as they are.  After reading this I got curious with listening to them again as I gave it a 1 month break after receiving my HE400.  Listening to them right now, I remember why I love them so much.  I'm still not convince how much better the HE400 is over the D2000 as I find them so much fun to listen to (wakes me up where as the HE400 calms me down).  It's not so clear where I can say "okay I'm getting rid of the D2000."  I need to do an A/B testing one day.

I don't know I find the D2000 is comfortable as it is, I can't imagine the LA pads then.

Thanks for the info, maybe when I'm done searching for that "one" headphone and have extra cash I'll mod it up. :D

Believe me, the angle pads alone are worth the mod. I never had a D2000 without the Lawton mods so I can't say if its worth it or not but I do like the comfort of the angle pads for sure.

I always read the only issue D2K's had was sharp treble but I do not find that to be the case. Aim also 51 years old so my hearing isn't as good as a man half my age. That can be a good thing. :D

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,677 of 5,248
I believe you, just have other priority.  I'm hoping to bump up to the next level of headphone sometime in the summer. hopefully I'll quit then.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #2,679 of 5,248
Quote:
Actually last month after doing the mod on D2000 and quite satisfied with it, I hope I would stop looking around for a while. But I ended up buying two headphones and two IEMs. 

Yeah, it's some kind of sickness that I have and can't get rid of.  I buy the D2K with MarkL mods, thinking the same thing you did.............and what do I do?  Two weeks later order a D600..............and still I look at the for sale boards every day. 

We need Headphones Anonymous - seriously. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,680 of 5,248
I purchased a D2000 a year ago. Recabled to D5000 cable and installed D5000 wood cups. Essentially a D2k converted to D5k.

Just bought another D2k a couple of weeks ago. Using it as is.

Now I feel like picking up yet another D2k (third one).

I think I'm insane.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,681 of 5,248
Quote:
I purchased a D2000 a year ago. Recabled to D5000 cable and installed D5000 wood cups. Essentially a D2k converted to D5k.

Just bought another D2k a couple of weeks ago. Using it as is.

Now I feel like picking up yet another D2k (third one).

I think I'm insane.

Have you done any of the MarkL type mods (the acoustic material install)? 

I only ask because I'd like to hear the difference between my MarkL modded pair and stockers.

You are not insane...............I almost bought another D2K two weeks ago - a guy had it for sale for $240!  Steal deal!  Missed out............

How do you like the change when you went to D5K cable and D5K cups?  Was it really noticeable or placebo? 
wink_face.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #2,682 of 5,248
I bought the J$ angled pads for my D2K's a few years ago and used them until end of last year when I bought Mark's pads. Mark's were better, and increased the soundstage as the opening on his pads were bigger.

I would definitely recommend wood cups/damping to anyone with stock D2k's mainly to tighten up the bass, but it actually tightens up the whole sound of them.

Also, as far as the He-400's- I still love my Denon's but like the Hifiman's better. Takes some initial getting used to, but the planers are quicker, more detailed, and still have the signature of good bass and treble just like the D2K's. I think they were the natural 'progression' for me as I like that 'west coast' type signature.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,683 of 5,248
Quote:
I bought the J$ angled pads for my D2K's a few years ago and used them until end of last year when I bought Mark's pads. Mark's were better, and increased the soundstage as the opening on his pads were bigger.

I would definitely recommend wood cups/damping to anyone with stock D2k's mainly to tighten up the bass, but it actually tightens up the whole sound of them.

Also, as far as the He-400's- I still love my Denon's but like the Hifiman's better. Takes some initial getting used to, but the planers are quicker, more detailed, and still have the signature of good bass and treble just like the D2K's. I think they were the natural 'progression' for me as I like that 'west coast' type signature.

See, I'm a latecomer to the Denons. One reason is I never tried them because I thought I'd just vastly prefer the quick bass of an ortho over the notoriously loose bass of a Denon. Well, I was wrong.

Now, I may see where you guys are coming from. I would prefer a tighter bass in my D2000 if it was the only headphone I owned and I was using it as an all-rounder. But, I pretty much use my Denon for my electronica, and for that the slightly loose bass is a godsend. Open headphones lack sub-bass reverb, and it's something I never thought I would have wanted, but as it turns out, I find the sub-bass reverb and slight looseness to work perfectly with electronica, and I've never so much enjoyed the bass presentation on any headphone before.

Also, I don't know if it's because my D2000 is one of the newer production models (2012 production I believe), but the treble is perfect! I remember when I heard the D2000 for the first time, I felt the treble was too hot, and when I bought my own D2000 this was a concern of mine. But really, its treble is even forgiving! Tested with tracks I know to be sibilant, and no issues whatsoever - the HE-5LE is more sibilant and treble happy than my D2000.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #2,684 of 5,248
Quote:
See, I'm a latecomer to the Denons. One reason is I never tried them because I thought I'd just vastly prefer the quick bass of an ortho over the notoriously loose bass of a Denon. Well, I was wrong.

Now, I may see where you guys are coming from. I would prefer a tighter bass in my D2000 if it was the only headphone I owned and I was using it as an all-rounder. But, I pretty much use my Denon for my electronica, and for that the slightly loose bass is a godsend. Open headphones lack sub-bass reverb, and it's something I never thought I would have wanted, but as it turns out, I find the sub-bass reverb and slight looseness to work perfectly with electronica, and I've never so much enjoyed the bass presentation on any headphone before.

Also, I don't know if it's because my D2000 is one of the newer production models (2012 production I believe), but the treble is perfect! I remember when I heard the D2000 for the first time, I felt the treble was too hot, and when I bought my own D2000 this was a concern of mine. But really, its treble is even forgiving! Tested with tracks I know to be sibilant, and no issues whatsoever - the HE-5LE is more sibilant and treble happy than my D2000.

I know this is the Denon Dxxx thread, and as an owner of same, along with the D600, I respect this thread..................but just because you're seemingly a recent convert to basshead world (hope that's not construed as an insult) you may try to get your hands on a M-Audio Q40.  The most amazing bass you could want.  Sub and mid.  Amazing. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,685 of 5,248
Quote:

I know this is the Denon Dxxx thread, and as an owner of same, along with the D600, I respect this thread..................but just because you're seemingly a recent convert to basshead world (hope that's not construed as an insult) you may try to get your hands on a M-Audio Q40.  The most amazing bass you could want.  Sub and mid.  Amazing. 

Hmm. Most intriguing indeed, I've heard some good things about that headphone. Better bass presentation than the Denons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back