Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,657 of 5,248
Quote:
I have some Denon AH-D2000 headphones and I really love the sound of them. The only thing I do not like is the loooooooooong cable. I have heard it can be modded, I would love a way shorter cable.

Where can I have this done or purchase a shorter cable?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

That IS the only issue I see with them.  Wish I could have a plug in single cable like my V-moda on my Q40's.  Very flexible, light and easy to deal with.  If that's the biggest problem a D2000 has we're doing OK. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,658 of 5,248
Folks, I had the pleasure to hear the D2000 and D5000 for my first time yesterday.

All I could do was shake my head. I could not believe how fun these headphones are! I've always assumed, after hearing ortho bass, that I would not like the slightly looser bass of the Denons, or the bass reverb of the Denons, which I had read about. Well, I assumed wrong. I just loved the bass slam, presence, and extension! My other concern had always been that I'd feel the mids were too recessed or not clear enough. Another misplaced concern! While the mids were certainly not at the forefront, they most certainly were there and were very clear. And lastly, I could not believe the soundstage I was hearing from a closed back headphone. Wow.

Needless to say, I am utterly disappointed that they're discontinued, but I am already plotting to pick up a D2000 or D5000. Preferably a D5000, but I doubt I'll find one in my price range.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,659 of 5,248
Folks, I had the pleasure to hear the D2000 and D5000 for my first time yesterday.

All I could do was shake my head. I could not believe how fun these headphones are! I've always assumed, after hearing ortho bass, that I would not like the slightly looser bass of the Denons, or the bass reverb of the Denons, which I had read about. Well, I assumed wrong. I just loved the bass slam, presence, and extension! My other concern had always been that I'd feel the mids were too recessed or not clear enough. Another misplaced concern! While the mids were certainly not at the forefront, they most certainly were there and were very clear. And lastly, I could not believe the soundstage I was hearing from a closed back headphone. Wow.

Needless to say, I am utterly disappointed that they're discontinued, but I am already plotting to pick up a D2000 or D5000. Preferably a D5000, but I doubt I'll find one in my price range.

If you liked that, you should hear a modded D2000 with the MarkL mods (angle pads which are butter soft, has damping materials inside the cups and on the driver). Just amazed me how the MIDS sounded of all things, let alone the bass. Saw a D5000 for $450ish on our for sale board. That is not out of line and I'd pay it. Almost did..........anyway I love the D2K I got. Denon was nuts to wreck the relationship with Fostex. Look at the TH900 - they look exactly like the D2/5 family.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,660 of 5,248
Quote:

Yes, very fun headphones!  Do you recall which songs you were listening to in your session with the Denon's?

I was using the D5000 with angled pads for few years, then I purchased the Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs with Alpha pads (modded orthos) and was so impressed with how the mods improved the sound quality that I immediately sent my D5000 to Lawton for the tuning.  I also used this opportunity to have the headphones recabled, as well.  For about 6 weeks I was using the Mad Dogs as my primary headphones while the Denons were away being worked on.  As much as I enjoy the Mad Dogs, there was an immediate smile on my face when I finally had the chance to listen to my Denon's again when they were returned to me.  And yes, the mids are not as "in-your-face" as they are with the Mad Dogs (very good mids that excel in Jazz and female vocals), but they are very much part of the music, and I don't feel as if I am missing anything with the Denon's as I felt the bass was somewhat lacking with the Mad Dogs on certain songs.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,661 of 5,248
I tried the Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads, and I personally couldn't get into the sound. I felt it had impressive attributes, but overall sounded far too closed and far too dark for my tastes.

The first song I heard on the D2000 was either "Baby Don't Dance" or "Problems" by Mother Mother. Can't remember which, but I distinctly remember three things that immediately stood out to me in the first 10 seconds of listening - the bass, the clarity of the mids, and the openness of the soundstage. I was very pleased!

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,662 of 5,248
Long time since I visited this forum or checked out new headphones etc.
I still love my Denon D5000s to death and they are the one and only pair I listen to.
I am surprised to find they are discontinued??
What's even more surprising is the price they are sold at now. I paid 350 USD and now they even go for 1,800 USD new and 600 USD used...ridiculous!
By selling my D5000s as a used pair I would still make a profit! LOL
Not that I'm ever gonna get rid of them though.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,663 of 5,248
Quote:
I tried the Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads, and I personally couldn't get into the sound. I felt it had impressive attributes, but overall sounded far too closed and far too dark for my tastes.

The first song I heard on the D2000 was either "Baby Don't Dance" or "Problems" by Mother Mother. Can't remember which, but I distinctly remember three things that immediately stood out to me in the first 10 seconds of listening - the bass, the clarity of the mids, and the openness of the soundstage. I was very pleased!

I could have written this post. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,664 of 5,248
Quote:

Thanks, nice songs.  Amazing, that as eclectic as my music listening habits tend to be, I've never heard of this group or any related artists on the list provided by MOG music service before now.  I did notice that the album these songs are listed under is not particularly wide with regards to dynamic range.  The Denon's do a wonderful job with tracks that have a small dynamic range.  They tend to naturally separate the frequencies in a way that I enjoy when the entire spectrum is coming at me with nearly the same decibel.  For music with a more significant dynamic range, it seems that flatter responding headphones do a better job.  I just can't seem to get as intimately involved with Bruckner with the D5000 as I can with the more neutral Mad Dogs, properly amped.  That said, I just don't listen to Bruckner that often, anyway. 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,665 of 5,248
I owned a D2000 for 6 months and found sound would improve with each external upgrade (DAC, Amp) - Definitely good phones. My main gripe with them was the hard edged treble, lack of 3D soundstage and (being a semi-closed back) lacking air.

I decided to sell them and buy a set of used D5000. Initially, I thought they sounded the same as the D2000.

However, after a bit more listening, I noted the treble was no longer hard - and, coming from the D2k, seemed relatively little recessed. Bass and mids are where the action is at with D5k.

Overall, I'd say the D5K is smoother, more layered, and darker sounding than the D2K. Soundstage & image is better too. Still lacks air. 

The D5K is also better for listening to 320k MP3 due to the lack of treble hardness. Of course FLAC/WAV sounds better.

A definite upgrade but not worth twice as much as the D2000. This probably highlights the D2k as great value for money.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,666 of 5,248
Quote:
I owned a D2000 for 6 months and found sound would improve with each external upgrade (DAC, Amp) - Definitely good phones. My main gripe with them was the hard edged treble, lack of 3D soundstage and (being a semi-closed back) lacking air.

I decided to sell them and buy a set of used D5000. Initially, I thought they sounded the same as the D2000.

However, after a bit more listening, I noted the treble was no longer hard - and, coming from the D2k, seemed relatively little recessed. Bass and mids are where the action is at with D5k.

Overall, I'd say the D5K is smoother, more layered, and darker sounding than the D2K. Soundstage & image is better too. Still lacks air. 

The D5K is also better for listening to 320k MP3 due to the lack of treble hardness. Of course FLAC/WAV sounds better.

A definite upgrade but not worth twice as much as the D2000. This probably highlights the D2k as great value for money.

Did you have stock D2000 or modded? I have started modding my D2000 and I think the hard edged treble is reduced after the Dynamat mod below. Also 3D soundstage is better now.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,667 of 5,248
Woo! Well, not even one week after hearing the Denons for my first time, and I've got my very own D2000 on my head as of today :wink:

I tell you what, I just have yet to hear bass this great in any headphone. And I've got the HD650 and HE-5LE sitting next to me, and I find the bass most enjoyable on the Denons. The others sound much airier, the HD650's mids are a freak of nature, and the HE-5LE is a fast, airy headphone with great tonal balance and quality bass. But nothing quite pleases in the bass department like the Denon!

As for the treble...you know, I remember hearing that same thing last Saturday on the D2000 and D5000. Despite the many things I found I loved about their sound, I thought the treble was a bit hot, and it had me a bit worried if I were to pick up a Denon. Well I don't know if it's just my amp, or if the newer 2012 production models have more subdued treble, but I actually was pleasantly surprised to not hear the hot treble in my D2000 that I heard last Saturday. I actually feel my D2000's treble is...well great! I even tested it out on a few of my tracks which I know bright headphones struggle with regard to sibilance, and my D2000 showed nothing offensive! I am very pleased about this!

Still early, but lovin' my D2000!

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,670 of 5,248
Both the D2k & D5k are stock except for a cable mod I did with the D2k which tended to make it more impactful but at the same time, slightly harden the treble.
Something else - I find the D5000 to slightly smooth over transients relative to the d2000. While this makes harsher tracks listenable, and makes for a more relaxing listen, it slightly removes that part of natural sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back