Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,491 of 5,248
Quote:
Hmm never heard of that. Good idea, id try it as its reverseable. I got my pads as a gift, so im happy. :)

Pads are definitely better than any DIY mess up, plus Mark is using thin mesh instead of foam for drivers covers, that should be helping too.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,492 of 5,248
Quote:
Pads are definitely better than any DIY mess up, plus Mark is using thin mesh instead of foam for drivers covers, that should be helping too.

Thats the thing with d.i.y.ing ok you save money but are you doing it the same way  markl does this guy has a few years under is belt doing this stuff so he knows the tricks and  the amounts to use and how to use it i figure, plus if he screws up its guaranteed . 

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,493 of 5,248
Quote:
Thats the thing with d.i.y.ing ok you save money but are you doing it the same way  markl does this guy has a few years under is belt doing this stuff so he knows the tricks and  the amounts to use and how to use it i figure, plus if he screws up its guaranteed . 

I have done MarkL mod myself, it's not that hard actually, just takes some time and a lot of patience. Honestly I think Mark undercharges for the labor involved.
By DIY I meant pads stuffing. I just gave up and ordered Lawton pads, D5K desperately needs some air between instruments in the mids and more zing at the top.
Now the freaking wait, accordingly to Mark it might take up to 14 days as he's expecting new batch coming, nothing in stock, guess they are quite popular.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,494 of 5,248
I love my D5k's. They have a bit of a bite in the upper end that matches the awesome bass but throw in a tube amp and they sing like nothing else. I've owned mine for a little while now so it may be time to move on and try something else but until that happens they will be my favorite closed cans and I'm happy to have been able to have owned them.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #2,496 of 5,248
Is this guide the best for configuring my x-fi soundcard for music for my D5000? It says to use winamp as a player and not WMP. Is it true WMP can't be made to sound as good?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/396565/ck-presents-x-fi-sound-tweak-guide-for-music-version-3-5

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,497 of 5,248
There is a foobar x dolby thread, and his config is amazing. I don't use it, but there are things you must try. He basically started with dolby's DSP and reverse engineered its impact on the frequency response, ultimately eliminating it but retaining the gained sound stage...

Golden ears, Bloody amazing.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,498 of 5,248
There is a foobar x dolby thread, and his config is amazing. I don't use it, but there are things you must try. He basically started with dolby's DSP and reverse engineered its impact on the frequency response, ultimately eliminating it but retaining the gained sound stage...

Golden ears, Bloody amazing.

Can you link to the thread or post? Is it from the thread just posted above or from the foobar dolby thread?

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2,499 of 5,248
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,500 of 5,248
Quote:
Okay guys, after listening for a bit critically of JUST the pads, not the audio tuning, I have a mild review IN MY OPINION:

Listed in order of most noticeable;
1. Soundstage and seperation. Expanded a good amount (id like to say around 30-40%), not massive difference, but easily noticeable by me. Seperation is easier due to this as well, so picking out instruments, when and where is slightly easier. 

2. More air and sparkle. Yes its kind of sparkly, more so than before. This could lead to sibilance for some tracks(thinking it more depends on the track), but for me I heard only one or two tracks with sibilance, and these were harsh tracks to begin with. I enjoy it, makes rock cymbals more pronounced, and guitars edgier slightly. More air leads to a clearer background, which is slightly more noticeable now. Again not a huge difference, but I could consistently hear both the air and sparkle. (this may make them more revealing for some tracks, slightly but on two of my poorer tracks I could hear a few faint flaws more evidently)

3. The sound overall to me, seemed smoother or more balanced. This I should say as in, still retaining the enjoyable and fun sound of the denons, but overall the sound ranges were more smoothly presented on some songs. Of course this wasnt noticeable on some songs, but most I got the feel of transitioning ranges being presented smoother, yet still fast. 

All the above I consider as complete pros. There are 2 less noticeable cons I could hear, which also continue the order of most to least noticeable.

4. Slightly less power or oomph behind some kick drums. This was mostly noticeable with rock, specifically with the band Sevendust. They have a lot of kick drums and lower bass, but a very small power feeling is lost from them. This one is only noticeable on some tracks and its not even a deal for me. Its a very slight difference and you basically have to be listening for it. 

5. Grain and or texture. This is one that could go either way really. If you like more grain then its good, for me its really only noticeable on one of my favorite tracks, so its really just like an off to the side thing. I may not be the best judge on this, so I honestly would take this part of the review with a large grain of salt. 

Of course one main thing beside all of these sound differences stands out to me the most. As I said, Comfort. I have big ears, these pads simply made them worth their money specifically for giving my ears more room to breath and now my ears no longer make contact at all with the pads. They are stiffer, but surprisingly this doesnt affect the comfort in any way for me. And I can only tell if they are specifically by pressing the headphones on my head harder. Also for quality, im a perfectionist, in many ways. These pads are flawless. No wrinkles in the leather if there shouldnt be, no missed stitches, none of that. The only complaint which is very minor, is the ring, or roll of leather around the pads isnt extremely even. This doesnt effect the pads sound in any way to my knowledge, just noticeable if you look closely at it. That literally is the only flaw. 

Well thats it. Everyone please take my review with a small grain of salt, these are all in my opinion, and im not an expert. My current setup being run out is: 
Foobar -> Wasabi(or whatever) -> ODAC -> Schiit Asgard -> D5ks I also occasionally used spotify for songs, but only compared them to their same version on spotify, not between eachother. 

Nice review. I finally got mine in and like them alot. The new versions of his pads are nice and very well made. They have slightly wider openings, and for me, the right depth/thickness, -  thicker than the stock pads, but less than the early version J$'s pads which I had that were thicker and firmer, plus the J$'s had smaller openings which affected the soundstage..

So comfort wise they are hear perfect and worth it for me just for that.

Sound wise, I really like them too. The biggest change for me is the way the provide better overall focus and detail, and firm up the bass more. I've got Lawton bubinga cups on my D2K's with some light damping, which helped unmuddy the bass alot when I got them, but these pads add to that. And I think the slightly wider/bigger opening also help the sound, maybe widening the soundstage for me, but just barely.

They're a bit pricy, but definitely worth it for me. I recently got some Hifiman's which are my main sqeeze these days, but these pads make my D2Ks better and make them keepers for sure.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,501 of 5,248
Okay guys heres my quick review of the Lawton Audio Tuning only. I am listening with the pads, but I am excluding their differences to the sound compared to stock. Remember please take my review with a grain of salt, and this is all In My Opinion

Starting in order with most noticeable to least:
Pros
1. The mids are improved by a good amount. 
This is very important, you can call them being unmuddied, or cleaned up whatever. The mids are awesome now. I can now hear details that were once muffled, and plainly not heard. I didnt think this was possible with these phones. I thought I had heard all detail that was available. I was wrong. The sound overall is more balanced now, still fun and energetic, but more detailed, and more clear. 
2. Just as much bass! Im a basshead. No if, ands, or buts about it. I was slightly worried this mod would reduce my thump, oomph, power and grumble. I really cannot tell any difference in the bassPeople describe the mod as un muddying of the bass which drifts into the mids, I disagree, because the bass level to me is the same, while still clearing the mids. Dont ask me how. 
3. This last one may be because of the first; but cymbals sound literally as I could describe raining gold. They sounded great before, but now they flourish, such an amazing sound. 
4. Im able to tell exactly what instrument it is thats playing. You might think duh its a piano, or duh its a harp. Sorry but on some songs thats not super easy, let alone doing so quicky and on the first time. Instruments are now presented more natural and more clear. Now your able to say, yes thats a piano in the background behind the drums, which are behind the cymbals, which are behind the guitar, which are behind the main vocals. This is present with almost any instrument in the background. 
Cons
5. Sibilance, yep I found it now. Due to the mids being improved, and details more crisp, on some of my songs sibilance is now noticeable. With the pads it was not an issue. Was it right next to sibilance with the pads only? Maybe, I dont really think so. But now with them combined, sibilance is there on Ss and some Ts. I noticed this specifically on one song more than most. Danger Line, by Avenged Sevenfold, a very rockish song, lots of symbols and lots of Ts and Ss. Is it extreme sibilance? No, not at all. But if you hate any sibilance at all, you may wish to find a solution. Personally it doesnt bother me, I enjoy a fun sound, and its only a teeny bit on certain songs. 
(link to song im talking about, vid is graphic if you havent seen Saving Private Ryan, or dislike war or gore dont watch it. Its the only decent quality link I could find)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG13L9H-4I8
On a side note, if you havent seen Saving Private Ryan, I highly encourage you to watch it. It is truely one of the best shows ive ever seen. 

6. This is all in relation, but they are more revealing of a poorly recorded song. Just some nicks and etc are slightly more noticeable. Its not day and night, and this is the least noticeable of all things listed. 

Things that are in between
Less V shaped sound. This is to be expected, but not hugely noticeable. If you consider it a downside, please try to listen to a un modded and modded version of the denon line, trust me its worth it. 

Thats all, enjoy, and cheers, DD. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,504 of 5,248
Quote:
Where can I get a used D2000 for under 350? I will mod the cups and cable.

Just get my minty fresh la-2000's for $700. You probably wont find a nice used one for $350, new ones are $500 alredy. Anyone else feel like the whole "Buy these headphones cause theyr'e discontinued" thing a gimmick. I think it's as big a gimmick as buying a dre or luda headphone for $300. There really aint nothing too special about these headphones. I really feel like my mad dogs with dog pads ($310) and my modded pro 900's ($340+40 mods$380) absolutly walk all over a stock d2k. LA-D2k's is another story though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #2,505 of 5,248
I got a D5000 and E7 mainly for PC. I feel E7 drives D5000 badly, making  D5000 sound worse than my UE900. After some search, I decided to either pair E7 with E9 (~$110), or to pair E2 with O2 (~$160, dunno if this would work), or to get O2+DAC (~$300).

Which one is the best option in terms of expense/performance for D5000? I would be happy if my amp/dac could get 80% out of D5000. Is it too high for all my options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back