Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,480 of 5,248
A friend had his AH-D2000s "disappear", he assumes they were stolen by a "problem" ex-roommate.
Any he really like their sound (the bass), he is a student and really can't justify the cash for replacing them, is there anything close to the AH-D2000 type sound for under $200 and that is low impedance (50-ohms or less)?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,485 of 5,248
Okay guys, after listening for a bit critically of JUST the pads, not the audio tuning, I have a mild review IN MY OPINION:

Listed in order of most noticeable;
1. Soundstage and seperation. Expanded a good amount (id like to say around 30-40%), not massive difference, but easily noticeable by me. Seperation is easier due to this as well, so picking out instruments, when and where is slightly easier. 

2. More air and sparkle. Yes its kind of sparkly, more so than before. This could lead to sibilance for some tracks(thinking it more depends on the track), but for me I heard only one or two tracks with sibilance, and these were harsh tracks to begin with. I enjoy it, makes rock cymbals more pronounced, and guitars edgier slightly. More air leads to a clearer background, which is slightly more noticeable now. Again not a huge difference, but I could consistently hear both the air and sparkle. (this may make them more revealing for some tracks, slightly but on two of my poorer tracks I could hear a few faint flaws more evidently)

3. The sound overall to me, seemed smoother or more balanced. This I should say as in, still retaining the enjoyable and fun sound of the denons, but overall the sound ranges were more smoothly presented on some songs. Of course this wasnt noticeable on some songs, but most I got the feel of transitioning ranges being presented smoother, yet still fast. 

All the above I consider as complete pros. There are 2 less noticeable cons I could hear, which also continue the order of most to least noticeable.

4. Slightly less power or oomph behind some kick drums. This was mostly noticeable with rock, specifically with the band Sevendust. They have a lot of kick drums and lower bass, but a very small power feeling is lost from them. This one is only noticeable on some tracks and its not even a deal for me. Its a very slight difference and you basically have to be listening for it. 

5. Grain and or texture. This is one that could go either way really. If you like more grain then its good, for me its really only noticeable on one of my favorite tracks, so its really just like an off to the side thing. I may not be the best judge on this, so I honestly would take this part of the review with a large grain of salt. 

Of course one main thing beside all of these sound differences stands out to me the most. As I said, Comfort. I have big ears, these pads simply made them worth their money specifically for giving my ears more room to breath and now my ears no longer make contact at all with the pads. They are stiffer, but surprisingly this doesnt affect the comfort in any way for me. And I can only tell if they are specifically by pressing the headphones on my head harder. Also for quality, im a perfectionist, in many ways. These pads are flawless. No wrinkles in the leather if there shouldnt be, no missed stitches, none of that. The only complaint which is very minor, is the ring, or roll of leather around the pads isnt extremely even. This doesnt effect the pads sound in any way to my knowledge, just noticeable if you look closely at it. That literally is the only flaw. 

Well thats it. Everyone please take my review with a small grain of salt, these are all in my opinion, and im not an expert. My current setup being run out is: 
Foobar -> Wasabi(or whatever) -> ODAC -> Schiit Asgard -> D5ks I also occasionally used spotify for songs, but only compared them to their same version on spotify, not between eachother. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,488 of 5,248
Quote:
Okay guys, after listening for a bit critically of JUST the pads, not the audio tuning, I have a mild review IN MY OPINION:

Listed in order of most noticeable;
1. Soundstage and seperation. Expanded a good amount (id like to say around 30-40%), not massive difference, but easily noticeable by me. Seperation is easier due to this as well, so picking out instruments, when and where is slightly easier. 

2. More air and sparkle. Yes its kind of sparkly, more so than before. This could lead to sibilance for some tracks(thinking it more depends on the track), but for me I heard only one or two tracks with sibilance, and these were harsh tracks to begin with. I enjoy it, makes rock cymbals more pronounced, and guitars edgier slightly. More air leads to a clearer background, which is slightly more noticeable now. Again not a huge difference, but I could consistently hear both the air and sparkle. (this may make them more revealing for some tracks, slightly but on two of my poorer tracks I could hear a few faint flaws more evidently)

3. The sound overall to me, seemed smoother or more balanced. This I should say as in, still retaining the enjoyable and fun sound of the denons, but overall the sound ranges were more smoothly presented on some songs. Of course this wasnt noticeable on some songs, but most I got the feel of transitioning ranges being presented smoother, yet still fast. 

All the above I consider as complete pros. There are 2 less noticeable cons I could hear, which also continue the order of most to least noticeable.

4. Slightly less power or oomph behind some kick drums. This was mostly noticeable with rock, specifically with the band Sevendust. They have a lot of kick drums and lower bass, but a very small power feeling is lost from them. This one is only noticeable on some tracks and its not even a deal for me. Its a very slight difference and you basically have to be listening for it. 

5. Grain and or texture. This is one that could go either way really. If you like more grain then its good, for me its really only noticeable on one of my favorite tracks, so its really just like an off to the side thing. I may not be the best judge on this, so I honestly would take this part of the review with a large grain of salt. 

Of course one main thing beside all of these sound differences stands out to me the most. As I said, Comfort. I have big ears, these pads simply made them worth their money specifically for giving my ears more room to breath and now my ears no longer make contact at all with the pads. They are stiffer, but surprisingly this doesnt affect the comfort in any way for me. And I can only tell if they are specifically by pressing the headphones on my head harder. Also for quality, im a perfectionist, in many ways. These pads are flawless. No wrinkles in the leather if there shouldnt be, no missed stitches, none of that. The only complaint which is very minor, is the ring, or roll of leather around the pads isnt extremely even. This doesnt effect the pads sound in any way to my knowledge, just noticeable if you look closely at it. That literally is the only flaw. 

Well thats it. Everyone please take my review with a small grain of salt, these are all in my opinion, and im not an expert. My current setup being run out is: 
Foobar -> Wasabi(or whatever) -> ODAC -> Schiit Asgard -> D5ks I also occasionally used spotify for songs, but only compared them to their same version on spotify, not between eachother. 

Thanks for a thorough review. Some sibilance is what I've read in AH-D7000 thread, may be D7K is more prone to it. The grain is what Tyll noted in his Denon lineup review.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000-page-3

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyll
As a side note: Mark Lawton did send me some of his ear pads, which I did measure and audition. The measurements are in the pdf booklet mentioned at the beginning of this section. I felt they improved bass tightness and imaging some, but I also heard them as adding a little grain to the sound.

Now I am really on a fence, D5K definitely can use some air and extra sparkle at the top but sibilance and grain is not what I am looking for, comfort with stock pads is not an issue for me. Dilemma.
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,489 of 5,248
I'll probably try this foam spacers before shelling out $100 for pads.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558782/denon-d2000-d5000-d7000-stock-pad-mod-for-wider-sound-stage
Seems to be cleaner than original fiberloft filling suggested by Mark.

Will try to go angled to minimize sibilance
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558782/denon-d2000-d5000-d7000-stock-pad-mod-for-wider-sound-stage/15#post_8193906

Users who are viewing this thread

Back