Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,057 of 5,248
Can someone recommend me a good amp for my D2000 with my Xonar Essence STX soundcard as the source? My budget is roughly $100-$200 I'm looking to tighten up the bass and the present the mids more if that's at all possible. I keep hearing the E11 and O2 as suggestions but are those a noticeable step up from the amp on my Xonar?

May 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,059 of 5,248
Try MarkL mod? Use something other than dynamat for less impact but reversible to see the difference first. I used blue tac.

May 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #2,061 of 5,248
Tightened bass, it feels like it reaches lower and more punchy instead of being fat. Like from a fat dude's heavy punch into a chuck norris/bruce lee killer punch.

And by so, mids seem to find its place a bit better.

May 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #2,062 of 5,248
FWIW I just got myself a set of Denon AH-D5000 cans to go with my HD-650's and I must say Im glad to have the compliment as the D5000's brought the heavier bass I was missing in certain genres of music I like. The D5000's are so solidly built and I LOVE the cable, but they are heavy, so we'll see how I like that after low listening periods. Im powering both with the NuForce Icon HDP and feeding the HDP signal from the Logitech Squeezebox Touch via optical. Listening to FLAC files, Pandora streamed and MP3's. The D5000's are in the process of burning in right now to see what changes. Ill give them a week or so of 24 hour play at volumes a bit louder than I listen and we'll see how they sound then.

May 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2,063 of 5,248
I just received my D2000 few days ago. I'm pretty happy with the sound. But I'm just wondering it it really worth it to upgrade it to D5000 for the nearly $200 price jump?
Really how much different do they sound?

May 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,064 of 5,248
Quote:
I just received my D2000 few days ago. I'm pretty happy with the sound. But I'm just wondering it it really worth it to upgrade it to D5000 for the nearly $200 price jump?

Now I can only go by what I read + have experienced:

I have the d2k myself, and upgraded the cups tot he d5k one.
I will also be modding the wire to a d7k one.

Long story short, only difference between d2k and d5k is the cups, and the wire, that's it.
So is it worth it?
IMO no, just mod the d2ks urself.

From my standpoint:
The D2k's woodied, sound a lot bassier, with some refinement in the mids, but also got a lil more sibilant.

May 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #2,065 of 5,248
Quote:

Long story short, only difference between d2k and d5k is the cups, and the wire, that's it.
So is it worth it?

From my standpoint:
The D2k's woodied, sound a lot bassier, with some refinement in the mids, but also got a lil more sibilant.

Where can you get and how much are the wooden cups and D7000 cable?

May 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,066 of 5,248
May 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,067 of 5,248
Quote:
Quote:

So is it worth it?

From my standpoint:

How to make D2K woodie one, will I be able to find them for reasonable price, I do not think so

I see from you profile pics, you have D2K with wood, how much did you pay.

also I am looking at JMoney pads, not able to find one, other ones are 99$ and I do not what to pay 99$ for pads

May 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,068 of 5,248
Quote:
How to make D2K woodie one, will I be able to find them for reasonable price, I do not think so

also I am looking at JMoney pads, not able to find one, other ones are 99$ and I do not what to pay 99$ for pads

J$ pads are hard to find, and a lot of people are looking for them. :/

May 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,069 of 5,248
Quote:

J$ pads are hard to find, and a lot of people are looking for them. :/

AppleHeadMay, the guy I bought mine from, might have one spare!
I bought mine from him!
Shoudl be arriving soon :D

Quote:
Where can you get and how much are the wooden cups and D7000 cable?

-D5K wood cup & dampened by MarkL: $49 - usually around $79
-D7K wire for $29, but now getting another one custom made by Frank, over at Toxic Cables (shortened to 1.5m, with a 3.5mm jack)

I bought some maple cups too, which I have yet to receive and mod, but when i do, I'll keep you posted, and might end up selling them on too.

Quote:

I did mine, see above, for a VERY reasonable price.
Guide wise, I have a full written guide on the removal of the cups, and the drilling of the holes.
As for disassembly, I have a full video instructing you on how to do so :)

Do a quick google search with totallydubbed and wood cups, you shall find where it is on the interwebz :wink:

May 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,070 of 5,248
Thanks

checking with AppleHeadMay, not sure if he ship to Washington DC, also looking out for MarkL for $49
will updated back if I find one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back