Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,621 of 5,248
scannon18: I am a computer engineering major who just "teamed up" with an EE major and we are trying to design a few basic amps. Here is part what we fould (or rather, what he wanted me to realize before we started).

Lets say that we are designing an amplifier. We want to be able to power a 600 ohm set of cans and we want it to be able to deliver 2 watts of power through these 600 ohm cans. Look at the bottlehead S.E.X. It is a 2 watt amplifier.

Power (P) is measured in watts. Ohm's Law states that Voltage (V) = Current (I) * Resistance (R). Voltage between A and B is the difference between the number of electrons at A and the number of electrons at B. Current THROUGH A or THROUGH B is the rate of flow of electrons through those points. When you say that "my usb port has +5v", you are saying that "if point B has 0 electrons, point A has 5 volts worth of electrons." Lets look at our equations now because I dont want to delve too deep into something wiki can explain better.

Power = Voltage*Current.

Doing a bit of shuffling around with our ohms law equation and substituing that equation into our power equation gives us 2 more equations for power that are a bit more useful to us.

P=I^2 * R & P=V^2/R

Now lets look at what we know. We want to be able to put 2 watts of power into a pair of 600 ohm cans. Using the above 2 equations, we can figure out how much voltage and current will be present at full power for this amplifier.

2=I^2 * 600 & 2=V^2 / 600

I = approx. 57.74milliAmps = .05774 Amps
V= approx 34.64 volts.

As you can see, we cant possibly make this a portable amplifier because we'd need a battery capable of providing nearly 35 volts constantly. Not a good idea. We can make this a desktop amp though if we design our power source correctly.

Anyways, now we've seen what happens if we plug a large load into this 2 watt amplifier. We have, effectively, the "upper limit" of our amplifier. Now, lets figure out what will happen if we plug in our crappy ipod headphones into it.

2=I^2 * 32 & 2=V^2 / 32

I=250.0 milliAmps = .25Amps
V=8Volts

See how we dropped our voltage by 1/4 but we basically quadrupled our amperage? Since we have a low impedance load in our amplifier and our amplifier still is trying to output 2 watts, we will have a gigantic current (relatively speaking) but merely 8 volts.

Why is this a problem? Because electronic components are not really built or designed to put out .25 amps of current. Thats a heck of a lot, and the components can get pretty hot. furthermore, it requires a pretty thick wire unless you want the friction of electrons to set the thing on fire.

I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to really know the specifics of what happens at this point. I have to contact my partner and figure out what the next step is. He has designed a current amplifier based on mosfets but he doesnt know too much about this. I figured I'd ask him what the next step is, now that we know our power requirements. We obviously need to design a 35 volt +/- power supply and some sort of power conversion circuit. We need to figure out "parts jargon" so we know what to search for when picking parts out, we need to make sure we dont exceed the limitations of our parts and such, but we also need to make sure our design can support such massive requirements.

I THINK, but im not SURE, that if we design our amp to output X volts at Y amps, that we cannot change this. So for example, I think we would need to design this amplifier to actually output 35 volts and .25 amps. That is much higher power than we need, but I think adding the headphones fixes it. Either that or we pick a single worst case scenario, ie the 600ohm headphone, and we design it around that, or we go with 35 volts max and .25 amps max and we design it like that (making it an 8 watt amplifier, which is way too much so that cant be right). I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,622 of 5,248

Quote:
I read somewhere that because these cans are "low impedance" they need "high current" from an amping source.  Can someone explain what this means, and why this is?  

I am looking for a new amp (hopefully under $500) for my D2000s so any suggestions would be great

Go for the O2 Reference amp from JDS Labs. That amp is an expensive amps worst nightmare. Its true to the source and gives you what you feed it. I've heard it competes with $2000.00 plus amps so keep that in mind. I'll be receiving mine later on this week. 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,623 of 5,248

Quote:
Go for the O2 Reference amp from JDS Labs. That amp is an expensive amps worst nightmare. Its true to the source and gives you what you feed it. I've heard it competes with $2000.00 plus amps so keep that in mind. I'll be receiving mine later on this week. 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

How well would you say it works with your D5000's? At $154 it has me very interested. I'd pair it with my D7000's.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,624 of 5,248
I ordered a pair last night...hard decision after all the reading I've done on headphones. I think I'd be happy with these or the DT1350, but these won out for now!

These will be my first real cans...I'm going to be interested to see how I like the experience compared to my speakers/subs which I've gone very hi-fi with. I'm using them for music, movies, and gaming...need something so I don't wake the wife and kids at night.

Also, I'm amazed at how much people are able to sell used headphones for!

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,625 of 5,248

Quote:
How well would you say it works with your D5000's? At $154 it has me very interested. I'd pair it with my D7000's.

I haven't received it yet but I will let you know. I'm going from comparison from Scootermafia who owns very expensive equipment ($2000+) and says its compared to such equipment which is plain old scary. I have no doubt regarding Scootermafias opinion.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,627 of 5,248

Quote:
Cool, love to hear your opinion about it when ya get it. It's pretty hard to find info about it, and the price seems almost too good to be true. :)

If you read up on the maker of that amp you'll understand why it is so cheap lol. Can't discuss that reason here though...

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,628 of 5,248
Well, I use the JDSLabs c421 with my D5000s and they work EXTREMELY well together! The c421 has so much power! It easily drives these Denons and my HD600s with no problems. The O2 amp seems to be a bit better BUT less portable so, I guess you have to decide on that...

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,629 of 5,248

Quote:
If you read up on the maker of that amp you'll understand why it is so cheap lol. Can't discuss that reason here though...

Alright. But we are allowed to talk about the amp, right?

Well, I use the JDSLabs c421 with my D5000s and they work EXTREMELY well together! The c421 has so much power! It easily drives these Denons and my HD600s with no problems. The O2 amp seems to be a bit better BUT less portable so, I guess you have to decide on that...

Nice, good to hear. :)
I'll probably be pairing it with the Schiit Bifrost or some other DAC of that nature, so portability isn't a biggie for me. As long as it can fit in a laptop bag, I'm good. :)
I'm in the middle of deciding on the O2 and Bifrost vs. Yulong D100.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,630 of 5,248
Yes we are. If you are curious about the article I'm sure you can do a search on google and find it. If not I could find it and PM you the link later.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,631 of 5,248
Has anyone heard the o2? I am skeptical of NwAvGuys philosophy towards amp quality. Does the amp sound as good as the measurements imply?

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,632 of 5,248
I think NwAvGuy knows exactly what he is doing and talking about. I believe the O2 is an extremely good choice.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #1,634 of 5,248

Quote:
I'm still trying to toss up between the D2000, DT880/600, HD650/HD600, and FA-002 (woodied)
I wish I could hear these before purchasing.

I just got my D2000 a few days ago and I'm loving everything about it. They are big and comfortable..They also look pretty nice compared to some of the other cans out there. Depends on your tastes thou, personally... I like the looks. The actual build quality is great, I've had everybody telling me how well made they are.

The headphones have a bunch of bass so they work great for my rock and electro music. Oh and the cord is this behemoth clothed monster that cannot tangle no matter what I try :p

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,635 of 5,248
As sexy as the cable is on these, they are prone to twist, and have cable memory. Exercise caution with them, and make sure you're not twisting up the cables haphazardly (especially when it separates into the thinner lines to the cups)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back