Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,441 of 5,248
Darn, I really want to try these headphones as there are so many good reviews of them, but I'm at a point where I don't really want to spend more money and I love my Grados and don't want to sell either of them to buy a D2000.

frown.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,443 of 5,248

Quote:
Darn, I really want to try these headphones as there are so many good reviews of them, but I'm at a point where I don't really want to spend more money and I love my Grados and don't want to sell either of them to buy a D2000.

frown.gif

Just try some at a meet- there are many in California.  But I wouldn't worry - to these ears D5000 are about as good as SR225, and I prefer the HF-1.  
ph34r.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,444 of 5,248
I'm surprised there arent stores that have like loaner pairs that they can give you for either rental or just trial purposes. It seems like a simple enough concept that you would cover shipping and a security deposit and they send you one of the used pairs they have for this purpose or something.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,445 of 5,248

Quote:
Just try some at a meet- there are many in California.  But I wouldn't worry - to these ears D5000 are about as good as SR225, and I prefer the HF-1.  
ph34r.gif

I'm really hoping that I can try some D2000's at the Bay Area Head-Fi meet, at least long enough to know if the general sound signature is for me. I was reading how the Fiio E7/E9 combo worked really well with the D2000's, and the D2000 is something I've wanted to try for a while...

EDIT: You still kept the D5000 in the end and still enjoyed the sound, so now I'm even more curious about the D2000.
ph34r.gif

BTW, what serial # is your HF-1?

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,446 of 5,248

Quote:
Try the open-back mod on them and that will take them to a new level :). Super tight bass, foward mids, large sound stage, EX1000 treble :).

If I had a second pair I would.  As it stands, I actually think the bass is perfect for me.  It's really souce/amp dependent the only time I find the bass unsatisfying (i.e. flabby and loose) is when I listen to it from my iPod or through lesser amps.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,447 of 5,248
Count me in on this appreciation club. I just received a pair of D2000's from Amazon, and so far they are exactly what I want in a headphone. They have a similar signature to ATH-M50's, but everything is more refined. I'm pretty much a basshead, and these don't disappoint. I'm driving them with an Audio GD FUN.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,448 of 5,248
I'm so glad you say that. I was looking at the audio GD Fun as a possible future purchase, and Ive also been looking at the ath m50. I'm glad these are such a step up from the m50's, because I was REALLY close to buying those.

I just wish Denon would get its act together and send a shipment out to JR so they can, in turn, send a shipment to me. I plan to build the Mini3 and X1 and an LOD to drive them.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,450 of 5,248
I recently purchased a D2000 to keep me company on the road with a FiiO E11. They are complementing a Senn HD650 pair (which is picky and stays at home) and I must say they are doing an amazing job. I love the cans, Denon really knows what they are doing. The sound signature on the D2000 is exactly what I want:

1. Very Low, punchy, and precise bass accompanied with good dynamics.I do not find the bass in excess. On the contrary, it is by all means perfect. Many cans, including the HD650, offer amazing mids (mid happy in my view) and good treble, but lack sharp round bass. The D2000 bass goes low where it should and reflects quality. 
  2. Neutral / A bit lower than neutral mids (some might call these recessed, I don't agree). I can always push them up with an EQ. 
  3. Sublime treble. They hit and stay high without losing quality. I disagree with the headfi consensus that the treble is muffled. It is not and at my latest hearing test I got over 20KHz on both my ears. This my friends you cannot train. You have it or you don't. 

Bottom line, an amazing investment, I am highly suggesting these to my friends.  I already converted a Beats Pro friend when he heard the bass. There seems to be quite a witch hunt on headfi.  The Sennheiser fans always sharpen their pitchforks and fail to notice that cans are not tuned the same. Denon tunes theirs differently and for a different target audience. I own both brands and the Senns push the sound towards the middle, the Denons do not. As the end of the day, it is a matter of taste and up to 700 pounds I doubt there is a pair of cans with better bass. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,451 of 5,248
How do the Denon D2000 compare with the open Beyerdynamic DT990 in terms of overall sound quality and comfortability? I am stumped between choosing the two. I like to listen to mostly Hip-Hop, Dubstep, and Alternative, so bass quality is very important. But I also want a good sound stage as well. I will be using the FiiO E9/E7 Combo with these as well.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,452 of 5,248
The D2000 has a fairly nice soundstage, but the DT990's sound stage is much better.

The overall balance of the sound on both of them is very similar for both being completely different cans.  They both have a u curve, but the D2000 extends much deeper.  DT990 might be good to about 50hz, but D2000 is solid all the way down to mid 20s hz.

I think D2000 would be your choice for dubstep etc.

Both are comfort juggernauts.  The DT990 has a better long term comfort by a tad amount, and is very spacious.  However, the D2000's fit makes the DT990's fit very clumsy feeling.  I'd say D2000 has way better short term comfort.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,453 of 5,248

Quote:
The D2000 has a fairly nice soundstage, but the DT990's sound stage is much better.

The overall balance of the sound on both of them is very similar for both being completely different cans.  They both have a u curve, but the D2000 extends much deeper.  DT990 might be good to about 50hz, but D2000 is solid all the way down to mid 20s hz.

I think D2000 would be your choice for dubstep etc.

Both are comfort juggernauts.  The DT990 has a better long term comfort by a tad amount, and is very spacious.  However, the D2000's fit makes the DT990's fit very clumsy feeling.  I'd say D2000 has way better short term comfort.

Well said. That is where they shine. The low push they have. I have listened 1 hour in the shop before I made my purchase. I tried cans from 30 pounds to 1400 pounds (HD800). The majority could not go that low and when you test with Daft Punk FLACS where you have 3-4 different types of bass in the same song, you see the difference. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,454 of 5,248
Well fingers crossed, just jumped in! Ordered me some D2000's!
 Looked, and looked went through tons of threads. Even went through the pages of the Amazon review's. Seems like the D2000 is exactly what I'm looking for.
 Anyways I hate you guys and this site for stealing my hard earned money. And I say that with a smile on my face.
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,455 of 5,248

Quote:
Well fingers crossed, just jumped in! Ordered me some D2000's!
 Looked, and looked went through tons of threads. Even went through the pages of the Amazon review's. Seems like the D2000 is exactly what I'm looking for.
 Anyways I hate you guys and this site for stealing my hard earned money. And I say that with a smile on my face.
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on your purchase. Hope you will not be disappointed. A smart buy always requires a test, especially when you shell out so much money. Was there no way for you to test them? I hope the sound signature is what you want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back