Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 30, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #706 of 5,248
haha they are bulgy. listening to my D4 recently has got me to conclude that the highs strike me as the strongest (occasionally too much) part of the mix. although the bass is stronger than ATH-AD700, it is not awe-inspiring. Very few songs push the bass to the level I would have guessed it would be at including 'Disco Balls' - Flying Lotus.

i have done multiple tests of my headphones and had my mother test me to be sure, and I prefer and can correctly identity when the D4 is being engaged.

(i play drums and the intense bass gotten from wearing muffling headphones has perhaps perverted my expectations of what bass can and could be in a headphone. any other headphone amplifier known to boost bass??

EDIT: I think I have just identified the cause of at least part of the issue: glasses. my glasses break the cup's seal. if I remove them, the bass extends far lower...sadly, I'll need to choose between sight and sound. a dismal choice indeed. the prospect practically bewitches.

EDIT2: j$ push harder, get the edges around glasses band to push inward to seal at least 80% of the total leakage? (with my AD700s they were open anyway, so it was just more air)

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #707 of 5,248
Well, instant impressions of J$ pads... exactly as advertised. Wonderful build quality, firmer grasp on your head, and the increased distance between the driver and your ear helps even out the spectrum (bass not as flabby, highs not as harsh). Yes indeed, definitely worth the money (especially since I got them cheaper used). Happy birthday to me!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #708 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, instant impressions of J$ pads... exactly as advertised. Wonderful build quality, firmer grasp on your head, and the increased distance between the driver and your ear helps even out the spectrum (bass not as flabby, highs not as harsh). Yes indeed, definitely worth the money (especially since I got them cheaper used). Happy birthday to me!
smily_headphones1.gif

could you easily switch the j$ out and go back to the stock pads if you did not like the sound?

May 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #709 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvanE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you easily switch the j$ out and go back to the stock pads if you did not like the sound?

Extremely easily. I doubt that the experience would be disappointing, though. Different, and takes a few minutes to get used to it, but in the end the JMoney pads are preferable in every regard.

May 7, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #711 of 5,248
Sorry in advance for the cross post, but I wasn't getting a whole lot of feedback in the original post:

I need a little advice regarding a Headphone for Live Music recordings.

I have over 2.5 TB of live music, in SHN or Flac 16 bit/24 bit formats, all from Bands that allow live music trading. I have a limited number of official licensed/produced live DVD's.

Bands: The Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, Phish, Gov't Mule make up the largest majority of my collection. Each of these bands IMO have outstanding bass players that really approach their instrument like a lead instrument, instead of just holding down the bottom end.

I've had my Denon AH-2000's for about 2 months now, paired with the NuForce HDP. So far I have been please with them, they are still burning.

So here's my general question: how can I get the most out my live music with headphones, without diminishing returns?

My general concern is getting a system/headphone that is too analytical, after all live music recording is prone to a number of issues: audience recordings wind phase in outdoor recordings, balloon pops, etc...

Current Budget Around $500: besides upgrading to the Jmoney pads which are on the way:

1. Should I do the LA 2000 Lites mod? (Jena wire is not in my budget)

1. If I go with the Markl mod any advice on type of wood?

1. Choose second set of cans?

One more question:

I'm starting to notice a strange phenomenon with my AH-2000's, It's like when you yawn you get this little flutter in your ear, magnify that effect by 5 and that's what i get sometimes with the D2000's. I think it's the driver fluttering/ vibrating, it doesn't seem to be volume dependent, and sometimes not in bass heavy portions of the music. Any other D2000's owners get this effect? 

Is it the headphone or could be that the bass in the live recording was not rolled off at the lower Hz's.

May 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #712 of 5,248

Quote:
Sorry in advance for the cross post, but I wasn't getting a whole lot of feedback in the original post:

I need a little advice regarding a Headphone for Live Music recordings.

I have over 2.5 TB of live music, in SHN or Flac 16 bit/24 bit formats, all from Bands that allow live music trading. I have a limited number of official licensed/produced live DVD's.

Bands: The Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, Phish, Gov't Mule make up the largest majority of my collection. Each of these bands IMO have outstanding bass players that really approach their instrument like a lead instrument, instead of just holding down the bottom end.

I've had my Denon AH-2000's for about 2 months now, paired with the NuForce HDP. So far I have been please with them, they are still burning.

So here's my general question: how can I get the most out my live music with headphones, without diminishing returns?

My general concern is getting a system/headphone that is too analytical, after all live music recording is prone to a number of issues: audience recordings wind phase in outdoor recordings, balloon pops, etc...

Current Budget Around $500: besides upgrading to the Jmoney pads which are on the way:

1. Should I do the LA 2000 Lites mod? (Jena wire is not in my budget)

1. If I go with the Markl mod any advice on type of wood?

1. Choose second set of cans?

One more question:

I'm starting to notice a strange phenomenon with my AH-2000's, It's like when you yawn you get this little flutter in your ear, magnify that effect by 5 and that's what i get sometimes with the D2000's. I think it's the driver fluttering/ vibrating, it doesn't seem to be volume dependent, and sometimes not in bass heavy portions of the music. Any other D2000's owners get this effect? 

Is it the headphone or could be that the bass in the live recording was not rolled off at the lower Hz's.

I would just get a cheap system with your budget the uDac and LD I+ combo is pretty affordable and if you tube and opamp roll you can tailor the sound to your needs.  In response to your last question that is a bit odd are you doing anything weird with your face when it happens?  I know thats an odd question but it can cause subtle changes to sound quality if you ask baby stax owners they have something they call the "baby stax face" which opens seems to change the sound significantly.  Ear, nose, throat are all linked up so small things can cause little preassure differences affecting sound.  In b4 flaming: I am not a doctor or premed or anything and am just reposting what I have seen 

May 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #713 of 5,248

Quote:

I would suspect that there is a low rumble going on in the recording that wasn't filtered out.  Either that or your amp or source are doing something weird.  I'd suspect the recording first.  Look at the audio file in something like Audacity to see if there is a low frequency thing going on in the recording.

The Denon does let you hear low frequency components that are just not there with many other headphones.  I've heard low rumbles in pipe organ recordings that I've only otherwise noticed on quality speaker systems with a good sub.  Pretty darn neat as long as long as those low frequency things are supposed to be in the recording.

May 11, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #714 of 5,248

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvanE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Extremely easily. I doubt that the experience would be disappointing, though. Different, and takes a few minutes to get used to it, but in the end the JMoney pads are preferable in every regard.

Not everyone finds the pads easy to replace.  I found it somewhere between difficult and impossible.  In addition I went back to the stock pads on my D7000's after trying the J$ pads for a few months.  For me the only thing that was better with the J$ pads was a bit more isolation.

May 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #715 of 5,248

Quote:
Not everyone finds the pads easy to replace.  I found it somewhere between difficult and impossible.  In addition I went back to the stock pads on my D7000's after trying the J$ pads for a few months.  For me the only thing that was better with the J$ pads was a bit more isolation.

Well, the directions for replacing the pad are kinda dumb: pushing down on the pads is not effective for removing the ring from the assembly.  The pad just ends up sliding around on the ring.  What I did to replace them was to VERY SLIGHTLY lift up the ring enough to get ahold of it to turn it and unlock it from the assembly.  That was a snap, and the only concern should be lifting it up too far and breaking the ring.  Getting the pads on and off of the ring isn't very difficult, but it takes a little bit of patience.  Not a big deal, honestly.

I'm surprised that the comfort of the pads didn't improve for you after a couple of months!  I've had mine for just a couple of weeks, and both comfort and sound quality are greatly improved, and I wear glasses.  Did you not wear them for extended periods of time?  I just can't imagine them not being a noticeable improvement.

For me, it was an excellent upgrade, and a very easy one to do.

May 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #717 of 5,248
I just received my jMoney pads on Thursday. It was pretty easy to change the pads, but I was a little surprised that the ear holes seemed smaller than the stock pads. I never thought that I had Dumbo sized ears, but it felt like it when I first put these on. I have noticed the bass is a tamer. Still listening for other changes.

I think the flutter was due to lack of bass roll of in the lower Hz in the recording. Most tapers roll these frequencies off on live recordings in indoor environments. I'll have to pay closer attention to where it happens next time.  

Still trying to decide if i should spend the money to have these turned into LA 2000 lites or add a second pair of cans with a little more mid presence. These are the only full size cans that I own, but I do have the Shure E4C's which are more mid centric.

May 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #718 of 5,248
I always thought that the D2000 and D5000 are sort of the same headphones. but now looking at the headroom graph,there is a noticable difference in the bass output of the two,the D2000 has somewhat less than the D5000,is it because of the wooden cups of the 5000 which makes them bassier?  
the D2000 is apperantely have less highs...can anybody comment on those differences?
does the D2000 has less sibilance than the 5000?

=243&graphID[]=263]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=243&graphID[]=263

May 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #719 of 5,248
I just ordered AH-D2000's :D
My ATH-CK10's weren't working out...I'm excited for these.

One question: what is the proper way to burn in these headphones?
I'm sure it's been answered but I'm pretty new to this. I've read 200-400 hours and such, but what is the right way to do it? What do I play, how loud, etc.
Thanks

May 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #720 of 5,248

Quote:
I just ordered AH-D2000's :D
My ATH-CK10's weren't working out...I'm excited for these.

One question: what is the proper way to burn in these headphones?
I'm sure it's been answered but I'm pretty new to this. I've read 200-400 hours and such, but what is the right way to do it? What do I play, how loud, etc.
Thanks

the proper way is just listening to music the way you always do. they will burn themselves in.  you will notice some changes in the first few hours especially in the bass region but afterwards the changes will be very subtle if any at all.  enjoy your new great headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back