Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #181 of 5,248
Well The Little Dot I+ is only $109 at Audiophile China.What kind of sound signature does it have? I read that the Little Dot MK V is a very solid performer but is $289.How about the iBasso D10 for powering the D2000?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #182 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the iBasso D10 for powering the D2000?

My brother has that exact combo. I haven't listened to it extensively, but from what I've heard of it, I liked it very much. I was just testing it yesterday and everything seemed well presented.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #183 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JMoney pads put the mids farther out for me, but made them sound cleaner.

Really? I mean, the sound isn't as close up and personal overall with J$ pads, because of the larger soundstage (MUCH larger), but the bass gets tightened up a lot and therefore is a lot less overpowering and lets the mids shine through.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #185 of 5,248
Quote:

Well The Little Dot I+ is only $109 at Audiophile China.What kind of sound signature does it have? I read that the Little Dot MK V is a very solid performer but is $289.How about the iBasso D10 for powering the D2000?

It's a perfectly fine combo. I agree that the D10 and a pair of D2000's are a great match. Pretty nice rig for less than $500 out of a computer, using its ample DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #186 of 5,248
Quote:

Well The Little Dot I+ is only $109 at Audiophile China.

$109 plus $40 for shipping = $149. Still a good deal.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #187 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by john57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did try a different opamp the OPA2107 while it has some good things about it I put the original opamp back in. However I will try one more time with the LM4562NA that is currently in the shipping pipeline. The little Dot 1+ is on my computer setup that has the M-Audio delta Audiophile 2496 card which I believe has the AKM AK4528VF DAC and it is very analytical.

On my main rig I am using the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 DAC along with my Melos preamp and this is also where I use my Stax headphones.

Quote:

I'd say the Little Dot I+ sounds lush. It just seems like a perfect fit. I tweaked the sound a bit by replacing the tubes with some Mullard CV 4010s and the opamp with an LT1364.

It gives the bass nice extension without overpowering the rest of the sound. Your results with the treble may vary depending on the DAC you use, but remember, brightness is also part of the sound signature of the D2000.

I've heard the D10 is a good matchup, but you might want to refer to the D10 thread for more info and impressions. There's a few members here with MK V's and D2000s, so I'm guessing that's a good matchup as well.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #188 of 5,248
Anyone know of a Denon authorized seller in the Orange County, California area that actually stocks in store the D2000 and D5000s? I've been to a few high end home entertainment component stores, such as AV Today in Westminster and Ken Cranes but they have virtually nothing in stock and need to order anything they want to sell. I may as well order on-line but I prefer physically buying from a store for warranty issues.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #189 of 5,248
This thread is making me miss my D5000's. How much of a step-down are the 2000's from the 5's? Some of what I've read suggests that the 2k's are darker or more veiled than the 5k's, which might be good for me because sometimes the sibilance was a bit of a problem. But then some other people say they are more sibilant than the 5k's.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #190 of 5,248
I feel that I need to clear up a few things I said that the AKM AK4528VF DAC that is on my M-Audio delta Audiophile 2496 is very analytical and exact. Before that I had the Creek headphone amp with it and it was not a good fit because I more aware of the electronics and recording defects rather than the music itself. The Little Dot 1+ makes everything more smooth and natural with a more convincing soundstage. I can listen and enjoy music with the Little Dot 1+ longer than I can with the Creek amp and M-Audio delta Audiophile 2496 setup. It is on my Melos pre-amp that I can describe the sound as being lush sounding however the the Little Dot 1+ on my computer setup just makes everything more natural and detailed and gives me a different perspective as compared to my Melos setup. I am quite pleased in how well the Little Dot 1+ is working out for my needs.
wink_face.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #194 of 5,248
I <3 my d2000s. Like, I really do. But my question is this: Do I need an amp? Anyone else tried to use them with a Xonar DS or a Nokia 5310 or a Sansa Fuze with and without an amp able to answer this?

And the other question: How much difference does the Markl mod make? Is it worth the risk doing it myself?

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #195 of 5,248
Amping makes all the difference. Ever since I put my Little Dot I+ near my tv in order to save some desktop space, I've been listening to my D2000s less and less. They sound ok through my uDac's hp output, but putting them through a proper amp spoiled me and I expect that sound every time I put them on now. My Grados on the other hand can be used with pretty much any amp and source (though they scale nicely with better equipment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back