Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #166 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.Will my MiniboxE+ and ALO Mini^3 be sufficient enough to power it?

The D2000 sound really good out of a Mini^3; that's what I use when I travel. I have the high performance version of the Mini^3 rather than the extended runtime version (different opamp).

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #167 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-fi, kaichun. Sorry about your wallet, credit card statement, business foreclosure, and mortgaging of all your remaining assets to purchase a pair gold-plated K1000's. (You'll see what I mean by this time next year.
wink.gif
)

I just wanted to also ring in and say that I am a pleased new owner of a pair of D2000's. I love them. Simple as that. So comfortable and good with many different types of music. Better than my previous Shure SRH-840's, as best I recall. And no unbalanced loudness problems to speak of!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Sampson, I am glad that you like your D2000. I also love the sound characteristic of my D2000. I would be VERY satisfied with this headphone if it doesn't have that imbalance issue, it totally blows my old 7506 out of the water. And yes, I am searching a good amp for low impedance headphones now...hahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not mine. But that's an interesting observation. I have never noticed the mismatched loudness until you mentioned it, so I did some tests, but then again they all came out negative.

And also I will chime in and say I'm content w/ my d2000. The cans are an interesting change of pace from my ad900 and does the job right when I'm in for some drum music and alike. Now onto d7000 sometime in the future...

Hi Joomongj, I had been testing my D2000 via different sources, and the results are consisted that the sound is skewed to the right side. It is even more obvious after several hours of burn-in, so I think I will have to exchange my D2000. Unfortunately, the seller does not have the D2000 in stock at this moment. I wish they will back in stock before 1/31, so I won't have to deal with the refund process and a possibly 15% restocking fees.

Kai

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #168 of 5,248
So which type of amp compliments the D2000? Solid state or tube.I was thinking of buying the Little Dot Mark III.I've never had a tube amp in my collection.So i'm weary of the bass reproduction.
confused_face.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #169 of 5,248
Quote:

So which type of amp compliments the D2000? Solid state or tube.I was thinking of buying the Little Dot Mark III.I've never had a tube amp in my collection.So i'm weary of the bass reproduction.
confused_face.gif

SS or a hybrid for Denons, but if you also have something like 600 Ohm Beyers or K701s in your collection just make sure you get one with high capabilities.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #170 of 5,248
Quote:

confused_face.gif

solid state and hybrid tube/solid state amps

At least that's the impression I got when I was researching this purchase. My Little Dot I+ is the only way I listen to my D2000, all other options seemed inadequate or merely passable in comparison. Perhaps you should look into the new EF-5 by Head-Direct. It's supposed to be good with it. I got rid of my EF2 before I bought a D2000. I didn't care for it with my Grados and other headphones, but HPA said it's cherry with it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #171 of 5,248
I'm thinking of the SS Graham Slee Voyager.I have been reading about this amp.I should of bought it when it was in the For Sale forum.Apparently it has a lot of power and has a warm tube like sound quality.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #172 of 5,248
I just received my Denon D2000 today and using it with my Little Dot 1+ amp with the GE408A tubes. I find that the Demon are bit brighter than I was expecting as compared to my Sennheiser HD380 phones. The Denon's currently plays a bit louder than the Hd380 at the same volume setting. I noticed that right now the price is going up and Amazon not longer sell the phone directly and about half of web sites are out of stock.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #173 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by john57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Denon D2000 today and using it with my Little Dot 1+ amp with the GE408A tubes. I find that the Demon are bit brighter than I was expecting as compared to my Sennheiser HD380 phones. The Denon's currently plays a bit louder than the Hd380 at the same volume setting. I noticed that right now the price is going up and Amazon not longer sell the phone directly and about half of web sites are out of stock.

What DAC are you using? Also, did you replace the opamp?

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #174 of 5,248
I just got a pair of recabled D-2000s today. I stuffed the earcups and getting my Dynamat in 1-2 days. Until then, they are getting the pink noise treatment while I sleep. The difference between Sennheiser HD555s is an improvement in every direction (especially the bass!), however they aren't as snug as the HD555s, partly because of the heavier materials and larger size. Now I understand why everyone is talking about these! I'm wondering to myself if I am ever going to go back to my Logitech Z-2300s again, because these are the best of both worlds.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #175 of 5,248
Anybody think there'd be any point in recabling my D5000s with APS V3 cable, or would that just be a waste of money? I just find the stiffness of the stock irritating, although not unmanageable.

Meh, I'm thinking Markl mods are gonna be more worth the money...

Does anybody notice the "cupped hands" mids mentioned by Skylabs and HeadphoneAddict in their respective reviews, or am I just overreacting to the comments of 2 users, no matter how respected they are?

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #176 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What DAC are you using? Also, did you replace the opamp?

I did try a different opamp the OPA2107 while it has some good things about it I put the original opamp back in. However I will try one more time with the LM4562NA that is currently in the shipping pipeline. The little Dot 1+ is on my computer setup that has the M-Audio delta Audiophile 2496 card which I believe has the AKM AK4528VF DAC and it is very analytical.

On my main rig I am using the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 DAC along with my Melos preamp and this is also where I use my Stax headphones.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #177 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody notice the "cupped hands" mids mentioned by Skylabs and HeadphoneAddict in their respective reviews, or am I just overreacting to the comments of 2 users, no matter how respected they are?

Yeah, the mids are the D5000 weakness, but it's easy to bring out with an eq. Even if I'm not using an eq, I don't notice it so much anymore. I guess my ears just got used to it. Funny how that happens.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #178 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the mids are the D5000 weakness, but it's easy to bring out with an eq. Even if I'm not using an eq, I don't notice it so much anymore. I guess my ears just got used to it. Funny how that happens.

I was referring to the MD5000 mids. JMoney pads fixed the recesssed mids of the D5000s stock for me.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #179 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to the MD5000 mids. JMoney pads fixed the recesssed mids of the D5000s stock for me.

Oops my bad. Thanks for the tip though. I was wondering about the JMoney pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back