Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 13, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #211 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by theHof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy really everything about the headphones, even my friends love them and I've got a couple friends who are buying pairs of their own.

Your friends have good taste.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #212 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I deceided to do for my D2000 - get the J$ pads, and get the custom damped wood cups from Mark.

I also decided on getting a hybrid Little Dot I+ amp - which I'll mod a bit with a new Op Amp and tubes. Should be a great combination!

awesome!

What Dac do you plan on pairing with it?

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #213 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you pay for the upgrades on the 2000. What does the wood cups cost.

I paid $200 for the phones, $55 for the J$ pads, and then $229 for the Bubinga cups. I didnt do the other 'markl' mods. Yeah, the cups were expensive, but I wanted the custom wood cups as I think these D2000s are keepers for sure.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #214 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome!

What Dac do you plan on pairing with it?

Right now it will just be paired with a nice Sony DVD/CD player. You have a Little Dot too - did you mod either the tubes or the Op Amp? I found some M8161 military spec tubes, and will try a couple of different op amps after things get broken in a bit.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #215 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by theHof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haven't really made any posts about it, but I got my D2000's for xmas. They sound fantastic, even when hooked up to my receiver they sound good, I really want to get a dedicated amp for them because I know they could be much better. But even off the receiver, deep, punchy bass, great highs and mids. I enjoy really everything about the headphones, even my friends love them and I've got a couple friends who are buying pairs of their own.

Me too - I dont listen to that much bass heavy material, so I thought they were great for most of the music I listen too. Every now and then their will be some material that is a bit harsh in the high end - but I think that is the material, not the phones. I havent got my amp yet - so all of my listening so far has been off of good CD players or good vintage amps (e.g. Yamaha CR-1020) an it's all good! Cant wait to get the hybrid amp though.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #216 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now it will just be paired with a nice Sony DVD/CD player. You have a Little Dot too - did you mod either the tubes or the Op Amp? I found some M8161 military spec tubes, and will try a couple of different op amps after things get broken in a bit.

I replaced the opamp with an LT1364 and the tubes with Mullard CV 4010s

sounds better than stock, but I'd like to play around more with tubes when I get the chance.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #217 of 5,248
I went to Digikey and bought the LT1364 and the LM4562 ($11) and will probably try the 4562 first as the stat sheets and comments on the web give it high marks.

Both sets of tubes I got are of the EF92 family, but might try to get a 408A variety at some point down the road. But - got enough now to keep me happy for a while...

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #218 of 5,248
I can safely say that my Q40s have been retired.After a few hours of burn in, the phenomenal D2000s,have it all.The D2000s are so lush and non fatiguing.The bass is what bass reproduction should sound like in a HP.Fantastic,weighty bass,with loads of extension and impact.No bloat or muddy bass.Better definition and tightening of the bass is probably necessary.The highs are very nice,not harsh at all like my HFI-580s.And this in early stages of burn in.Elegant styling and very comfortable.NIN and Fischerspooner are a must listen,with these HPs.Especially the #1 CD by Fischerspooner.As it some some amazing bass extension to test your headphones bass reproducing capabilities.I had euphoric music listening with my eyes closed.They are that good!

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #219 of 5,248
I have read that the cable is of bad quality.Well it's looks just like the D5000 cable.Basic same disription.7 Nines Oxygen Free Copper.Though the D5000 description adds "99.9% high purity".By the way.Perfect synergy and more then enough power with the ALO Mini^3 and Cowon S9.
L3000.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #220 of 5,248
I'm curious as to which mods are worth getting to better the sound quality.I really like the look of the JMoney lambskin leather pads.But how does it really affect the sound?And the wood chamber cups are a definite mod for my D2000s!Lawton Audio has some beautiful wood available.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #221 of 5,248
My new iBasso D4 really tightens up the bass on the D2000 and gives it more definition.As i did notice the bass being a little too flabby with my ALO Mini^3.Sounds like a good match.And the D2000s seem to be source dependant.Starting to notice some flaws.But they are in burning in,so right now the drivers are being worked in and can sound different from one listen to the next.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #222 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to which mods are worth getting to better the sound quality.I really like the look of the JMoney lambskin leather pads.But how does it really affect the sound?And the wood chamber cups are a definite mod for my D2000s!Lawton Audio has some beautiful wood available.

I found the JMoney pads to have a larger effect on sound than the wood cups, but both were phenomenal improvements.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #223 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the JMoney pads to have a larger effect on sound than the wood cups, but both were phenomenal improvements.

Really?What aspects of sound in particular do the JM pads improve?And how about the dynamat chamber treatment?

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #225 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?What aspects of sound in particular do the JM pads improve?And how about the dynamat chamber treatment?

J$ pads tamed the bass a little and made it more impactful(read: controlled, not reduced), brought the midrange forward as well as the highs, huge increase in soundstage, and overall more balanced and detailed.

I can't comment on the cups with and without dynamat, but in general they increased soundstage a pretty substantial amount, helped control bass a little more (most likely due to the dynamat than the cups themselves), which gave the illusion of bringing the mids out more. Very similar improvements to the J$ pads, just not to the same degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back