Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #5,148 of 5,248
Funny how I some times seem to stumble over great headphones. This time it was due to a poor fit between my K371 and my amp...or well the AKG is simply way too efficient in order for me to have any sort of volume control...and I prefer listening to cds when at home.
Long story short: I was about to order the D7200 as it is my favourite out of the new line up, but then saw a used D2000 for sale..and well thought I’d give the old classic a go. Hell I almost never use closedbacks, so throwing money at a D7200 seems almost hilarious compared to the actual time I am going to wear it.

The D2000? I’m in love..even if it fails miserably at it’s intended purpose ie being a closedback headphone😆
Maybe that’s why I dig it as much as I do? It’s a good amount more open than my previously owned Nighthawk..also more open than an SR2 - both of which advertised as openbacks😉
It’s like an exciting marriage between the deep rumbling bass power of a good closedback and the more natural sounding ways of the open...if that makes any sort of sense.
It’s also way less efficient than the official specs leads one to believe, somewhere around 6 dB per my calculations..which is perfect for my set-up.
Listening to some Shpongle right this minute and can literally feel the airwaves move in the deepest part of the basement. I can vividly imagine myself getting addicted to this almost visceral form of bass delivery👌

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #5,149 of 5,248
I got a pair of very very very comfy passive-noise cancelling pads from a seller on Aliexpress. By far the most comfy pads I've previously tried (and I've tried 4 types - including original stock pads, cheap replicas, expensive upgrade ones, and then a better made replica of the stock) These current ones bring no nonsense effects on the sound or anything - they just seal well, can be worn for hours and hours, breathe well and are super plush due to the memory foam filler. They're also pretty cheap - around 20something AUD.

EDIT: The main reason I purchased them was to get a better seal and improve passive noise cancelling. I kept original pads until all the pleather flaked off them (and are now just the fabric mesh). They are now great for really hot days. The last replica pads I got were the same shape and size etc, but not very comfy/plush and didnt seal well at all.

So I got the exact same pads after reading your comment; I’m looking for a better seal as the stock clamp is too low for me. These are great! I get a better seal, more comfort (better clamp) en the sound in the low improved a bit but otherwise it is unchanged! Thanks for the tip :wink:

regards,

Ric

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #5,150 of 5,248
Funny how I some times seem to stumble over great headphones. This time it was due to a poor fit between my K371 and my amp...or well the AKG is simply way too efficient in order for me to have any sort of volume control...and I prefer listening to cds when at home.
Long story short: I was about to order the D7200 as it is my favourite out of the new line up, but then saw a used D2000 for sale..and well thought I’d give the old classic a go. Hell I almost never use closedbacks, so throwing money at a D7200 seems almost hilarious compared to the actual time I am going to wear it.

The D2000? I’m in love..even if it fails miserably at it’s intended purpose ie being a closedback headphone😆
Maybe that’s why I dig it as much as I do? It’s a good amount more open than my previously owned Nighthawk..also more open than an SR2 - both of which advertised as openbacks😉
It’s like an exciting marriage between the deep rumbling bass power of a good closedback and the more natural sounding ways of the open...if that makes any sort of sense.
It’s also way less efficient than the official specs leads one to believe, somewhere around 6 dB per my calculations..which is perfect for my set-up.
Listening to some Shpongle right this minute and can literally feel the airwaves move in the deepest part of the basement. I can vividly imagine myself getting addicted to this almost visceral form of bass delivery👌
Like you I pretty much stumbled into D2000 as a recommended model. So glad I got them. Love everything about them, especially the gorgeous bass.

https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B...0761V22VG&ref=dm_sh_3b70-1283-d797-968e-601a9

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #5,151 of 5,248
I still have a pair of MD-2000's that I put in the rotation regularly, even with the other headphones in my signature available. Same goes with my LA-7000 - Denon (and by extension Foster since they built these gems) had it going on in a big way.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #5,152 of 5,248
Yeah gotta say..it genuinely feels like I hit the jackpot with these✊
Plowing through all kinds of music styles and I have yet to come across anything I would consider strident or conversely lacklustre. I tend to forget that I’m wearing a headphone and that’s highly unusual when I’m wearing a closedback. Nahh who am I kidding? This was never a closedback to begin with and whether psychosomatic or something akin to that, it still adds a natural touch to the presentation...or maybe that’s what my brain tells me when it doesn’t feel wholly closed off to the world(?). Either way I really dig the overall presentation👍

Playing stuff with punch to the low notes really makes them show off though. The bass is deep and powerful like a Greek coffee on an empty stomach. It’s a tangible force.
Been listening to a lot of electronic lately - stuff like Autechre’s Amber, Die Wilde Jagd’s Haut, Boards Of Canada’s Geogaddi, Plaid’s Rest Proof Clockwork, various The Orb, FSOL, Shpongle albums as well as a good amount of mind-melting sounds from the Ozric Tentacles..and well the Denon renders all of that delicious goodness from the deep without sacrificing the mids. Katjing! It can both be silky and rambunctious when called for yet always manages to give off a brilliant warm sheen to the proceedings.
Listening to Pungent Effulgent right this minute👐
7A467CA7-882D-46E3-8F41-05E542BE4FA1.jpeg

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #5,153 of 5,248
Yeah gotta say..it genuinely feels like I hit the jackpot with these✊
Plowing through all kinds of music styles and I have yet to come across anything I would consider strident or conversely lacklustre. I tend to forget that I’m wearing a headphone and that’s highly unusual when I’m wearing a closedback. Nahh who am I kidding? This was never a closedback to begin with and whether psychosomatic or something akin to that, it still adds a natural touch to the presentation...or maybe that’s what my brain tells me when it doesn’t feel wholly closed off to the world(?). Either way I really dig the overall presentation👍

Playing stuff with punch to the low notes really makes them show off though. The bass is deep and powerful like a Greek coffee on an empty stomach. It’s a tangible force.
Been listening to a lot of electronic lately - stuff like Autechre’s Amber, Die Wilde Jagd’s Haut, Boards Of Canada’s Geogaddi, Plaid’s Rest Proof Clockwork, various The Orb, FSOL, Shpongle albums as well as a good amount of mind-melting sounds from the Ozric Tentacles..and well the Denon renders all of that delicious goodness from the deep without sacrificing the mids. Katjing! It can both be silky and rambunctious when called for yet always manages to give off a brilliant warm sheen to the proceedings.
Listening to Pungent Effulgent right this minute👐
I like your comparison to a greek coffee lol.

I listen to more & more electronica as I age. Especially if without lyrics.

Also, gotta say - FSOL & The Orb are great to listen to - in particular live recording of Little Fluffy clouds... "The skies in the southwest are spectacular"...

“They went on forever – They – When I w- We lived in Arizona, and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in ’em, and, uh… they were long… and clear and… there were lots of stars at night. And, uh, when it would rain, it would all turn – it- They were beautiful, the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. Um, the sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire, and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere. That’s uh, neat cause I used to look at them all the time, when I was little. You don’t see that. You might still see them in the desert.”

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #5,156 of 5,248
I'm glad to see people are still listening to these headphones. These are what truly got me started on the quest for the perfect headphones because I loved the subbass so much. I got rid of them long ago when times got hard but I'm finally in a position to explore audio gear once again.
I'm curious if anyone can do a comparison of these headphones, the Sennheiser Momemtum 3 Wireless, AKG K371, and Strauss and Wager ANCBT501 (my current beater).

I know I'm asking for a lot, but any kind of comparison with those would be amazing to read about.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #5,157 of 5,248
As I'm struggling to find the Fiio BTR 5 in stock anywhere, can anyone recommend an alternative portable dac/amp combo that will suite the D2000? As this is a stop-gap, I have an ideal budget of £50GBP (which I fear may not be enough).

I would be using my Google Pixel 4 smartphone as source (running Android 11, has a usb-c connection).

Edit: I had considered Fiio E17 but unsure of compatibility with my phone.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #5,158 of 5,248
I am enjoying a glass of wine and a listen to music in my lounge via my laptop 5v USB. I must say, I'm very impressed. It sounds great, and my feet havent stopped tapping. There is a gorgeous musicality, a fun sound without too much colour. It's ever so slightly warm. I'm starting to really appreciate the D2K too which is spot on for me

I can thoroughly recommend the ifi Zen Dac with D2000. I'm still going to get the Project Polaris for my home office as I'm sure it will unleash more dynamic headroom etc and open up the D2K even more.

I won't bother with the Fiio BTR 5. I'm going to just use the Zen Dac & laptop for casual listening in my lounge. I will invest in the ifi low noise 5v mains adapter for my home office instead.
Well. My Zen Dac died on me last night at an age of 2 weeks old. I'm now on a renewed search for a dac to pair with my new project polaris (this is such a great amp).

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #5,159 of 5,248
I'm interested on a mid-fi closed back, how would you compare the D2000 to Beyer 1770 Pro or 177x Go? Mainly from a technical standpoint as I will probably EQ it.
Do you think it keeps up as a closed back alternative to the Sundaras?

Since I'd buy used what are good replacement pads? some people recommend Brainwavz ovals like this, but I don't understand how they fit since D2000 cups are round (?)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #5,160 of 5,248
For work setup I've used a Dragonfly Red paired with the Polaris, at home the RME ADI-2 DAC, and testeda Khadas tone board. All sound more fine w with it... the only DAC I wasn't particularly fond of the sound with was the Schiit Bifrost. I would just go with a $100 level DAC like the Khadas or equivalent and call it good unless you can and want to spend the money on an RME ADI-2 DAC.
Hey. I think you're right about the spend on a dac at circa £100 unless going to spend quite a bit more.

As my 2wk old Zen Dac just died, I'm looking out for another dac to pair with my Polaris and D2000 that isn't dry/neutral/lacking character (hard to find something good with a slightly warm/euphoric sound at this price point). As a dac will be connected to my pc, I guess I have the choice of usb, optical, spdif.

Current options at my price point seem to be Khardas tone board, Schiit Modi 3, Topping E30 or iFi Audio Nano iDSD Black Label. I'm leaning towards the Modi 3, but it has a high impedance which I assume isn't helpful (?).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back