Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #5,041 of 5,248
Hey everyone, I just realized I still have a very mint condition set of D2000 cups that have been sitting in bubble wrap the last couple years. If I ever do anything with these it'll be for mold making and I'd rather someone put these on their headphones if they're currently using cups in worse condition. So, if someone wants some minty D2000 cups in exchange for their cups let me know. Send me your cups and I'll send you these. US only please. Zoom as hard as you want on these, no flaws at all.
EDIT: These have been traded!
P1040913.JPG P1040912.JPG P1040911.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #5,042 of 5,248
Hey everyone, I just realized I still have a very mint condition set of D2000 cups that have been sitting in bubble wrap the last couple years. If I ever do anything with these it'll be for mold making and I'd rather someone put these on their headphones if they're currently using cups in worse condition. So, if someone wants some minty D2000 cups in exchange for their cups let me know. Send me your cups and I'll send you these. US only please. Zoom as hard as you want on these, no flaws at all.

How completely awesome of you! And hey, if you ever run across any of those little screws that hold the cup to the hanger let me know!

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #5,043 of 5,248
How completely awesome of you! And hey, if you ever run across any of those little screws that hold the cup to the hanger let me know!
I'll post up in the thread here if I figure that part number out, it would be nice to have a bunch of spares of each of those screws.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #5,046 of 5,248
I asked before but, man I can't find the part so... looking for the little silver "cap" that goes over the infamous screw/nut on the headband yoke. I was able to get the pad rings/pom rings, but still cannot find that damn cap anywhere. If I can't find one I'll just have to find something similar I guess and replace both sides. Going to tear these down this weekend and install the smc connectors, and tinker with mods in the cups again, and MAY, attempt painting the frame black. Also, has someone confirmed the drivers are indeed the same between the d2k and the fostex th900? Or is there a tuning difference? You can get th900 drivers for 200 for the pair, and it's tempting for me to do that, as I got a d2k and wood cups for extremely cheap, so throwing 200 in to get a th900 minus those awesome cups is tempting, although I've never actually heard the th900. Just guessing it is "better" having read alot about it. Rant over

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #5,047 of 5,248
I asked before but, man I can't find the part so... looking for the little silver "cap" that goes over the infamous screw/nut on the headband yoke. I was able to get the pad rings/pom rings, but still cannot find that damn cap anywhere. If I can't find one I'll just have to find something similar I guess and replace both sides. Going to tear these down this weekend and install the smc connectors, and tinker with mods in the cups again, and MAY, attempt painting the frame black. Also, has someone confirmed the drivers are indeed the same between the d2k and the fostex th900? Or is there a tuning difference? You can get th900 drivers for 200 for the pair, and it's tempting for me to do that, as I got a d2k and wood cups for extremely cheap, so throwing 200 in to get a th900 minus those awesome cups is tempting, although I've never actually heard the th900. Just guessing it is "better" having read alot about it. Rant over

This is most likely the "cap" part you are seeking.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/539593-Fostex-1420606309

The site above has quite a list of Fostex parts.

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/FOS_Fostex/Replacement-Service-Parts.html

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #5,049 of 5,248
That shafts will not work for the Denon D2k, 5k, or 7k. That one only works for the Fostex.
It looks exactly the same. It seems like it would perfectly replace the same part on my D5K. Since all of these headphones are actually Fostex designs, it would seem likely that the parts would be interchangeable. Maybe this is not the same part you are looking to replace, but on my headphones, it appears to be the same part that swivels each ear cup.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #5,051 of 5,248
Jeez 19 bucks, nope I'll find something that works and replace both.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #5,052 of 5,248
That shafts will not work for the Denon D2k, 5k, or 7k. That one only works for the Fostex.

I see what you are looking for now.

This is the part number, but unfortunately it is no longer being made and does not appear to be available anywhere.

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_no=9H3419100390D&mfg=Denon

Hope you can find it or some acceptable replacement. Let us know if you find anything, and I will report back here is I stumble upon something usable.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #5,053 of 5,248
Pac parts is who I was finally able to get the pom plates (pad rings) from, and I had seen the caps there, but ya, can't order them anymore

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #5,054 of 5,248
Went back and wetsanded then rubbing compound out the finish on the cups again. I love working with polycrylic in coats of 10+, but it literally takes months to fully cure/harden. Finally got those SMC connectors in and installed. Went back and changed the cup.mods, and threw the alpha pads back on since now I actually have the pad mounting rings (pom plates), need more listening but sounds good for now. Now the cups are a deep mirror gloss finish and I'm loving them.20180325_163047.jpg 20180325_171246.jpg

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #5,055 of 5,248
Those cups are very nicely done! I'm going a different direction with my D2000 - transferring the drivers over to a TH-X00 chassis once I find one for a good price and still use the plastic cups (traded the NOS condition cups off PETEREK for my well used and repainted stock ones) with Lawton dampening. Already have two modded TH-X00s with wood cups... want to keep the D2000 with the stock plastic cups. Kind of my sentimental nature with my decade old D2000 that first got me into high quality audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back