Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 14, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,951 of 5,248
I love the RNHP as an amp for my D5000. But it's quite a bit more expensive than a Magni U. I have/had two Schiit devices myself and never had problems with their service though. Right now I am running my D5000 and HD650 from a Modi2U and RNHP stack.

The RNHP looks nice, never heard of it before. I assume based on design it's more of a pro level item?

Another idea I'm looking at is a Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module, rather than the Modi/Magni U stack setup. Any thoughts on that? 

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #4,952 of 5,248
  The RNHP looks nice, never heard of it before. I assume based on design it's more of a pro level item?

Rupert Neve is one of the most famous companies in studio equipment (mixing consoles etc.) ... so yes, this amp was originally planned and built for monitoring purposes in recording and mastering studios.

There is more info over in the RNHP thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/804255/rupert-neve-designs-announces-the-rnhp-precision-headphone-amplifier

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #4,953 of 5,248

Gave some old D2K's some love. Thanks go to Peterek for advising me on fitting HD800 connectors to the Denon/Fostex chassis.

Researching and planning on turning some cups now. Purple heart + gloss lacquer, yes please.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,957 of 5,248
  would u pay 400 canadian   ( like 300 USD ) for a pair of d2000 ?  suposely in mint condition !??  if yes , anything i should be aware of or make a particular attention to something before buying ???

Hi there, I'm in Canada and paid about $350 CAD for mine imported from the US (so add import tax on top of this). You have to factor that if you can get them in Canada, and shipped within Canada, that is a good price. Obviously cheaper is better, but you also have to factor that this specific model is only available used and local - only so often. 

I feel they are absolutely worth it. I have heard there have been some revisions so its hard to say which model/era you may get. I can say I am completely enamoured with mine. Easily some of the best drivers committed to a headphone :)

I read back on some of your posts you are looking for something more for EDM, pop, and games etc. These are perfect for those. But let me say, unlike a pair of Dre Beats, their signature and treble energy is still more partial to the best recordings.

For gaming, I feel these are incredible. They have a lot of top end sparkle to help with positioning, are quite linear through the mid-range, and have a bass end that has enough aplomb to give palpable thunder to explosions and cinematic strings. My reference for this experience is immersing myself in Battlefield 1 for the past week. I've also used them for CS:Go, and many other titles. 

Im listening to them right at the moment, to classical (Erno Dohnányi - Chamber music / Kocian Quartet / Beethoven) comparing them side-to-side with my Audeze LCD2. The Audeze's present more naturally, with more space, and more dynamic range.  That extra sheen on the top-end of the D2000 is a bit glassy, but for piano and woodwind help round out the top-end that can sometimes feel missing with the LCD2 (it really isn't, the LCD2 just have so much body, that it can mask an otherwise very detailed high-end). For electronic music, the D2000 out-of-the-box has a bit more oomph than the LCD, and the right amount of energy up-top. Overall the LCD2 is better overall for acoustic, instrumental, jazz, rock, vocals and is the less fatiguing headphone (but more expensive). The Denon, while being brighter, actually make you feel like you aren't listening as close up as with the LCD2, the Denon's feel a bit further back. They give the illusion of soundstage, no small feat given their semi-closed design. To some, the D2000's top-end frequency can initially feel strident or even make voicing sharp. After some time, you adjust to it, and realize how equally exquisite the rest of the spectrum is. IAlso, because of their tuning, they sound great at lower volumes, whereas the LCD2, you'll want to crank up a bit for the best performance. 

Another thing, the D2000, at least the one i have, is not the bass-monster it is sometimes made out to be. If you want more bass, you may want to look into the D5000, Fostex TH600/900/610 or Massdrop Fostex TH-XOO. To me it has the perfect amount of bass. 

Some stuff to be aware. The cable can get tangled. I used some rubberized twist-tie material to keep the cord in a loop. Unless you are going to be using the full-length of the cord, it can be a bit unwieldy. It also isn't detachable. You'll need to baby these, and they aren't to be worn outside. They are light enough and very comfortable, but the form factor and cable prevent them from being used portably. Also, the design of the swivel-connector that attached to the cups could be a stress point. 

Also, very easy to drive. You can run these out of pretty much anything. 

Of all the headphones I've owned it is among my favorite sonically, and probably my favourite , comfort, price and sound-quality considered - even notching ahead of the HD650.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #4,958 of 5,248
thanks a lot for your feedback !!! actualy he was asking 430$ canadian .. i tried to deal him for 400 .. hes not answering . 400 is just the border i cant cross for a used headphone ...i might go for dt770 80ohm or ath-ws1100is

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4,961 of 5,248
400$ for mint second hand d2000. Or. 650 for brand new fostex th600 ??? What u think

$400 for a D2K is too much. I just grabbed a pair in great shape (9/10 condition) with the box for $170 Cdn. A barely used pair came up on the Canuck Audio classifieds last week for $125. You get the picture. Keep an eye on craigslist and the CAM website and you should be able to find a nice pair for $200 easily enough. These were popular cans, so there are quite a few floating around out there.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,962 of 5,248
$400 for a D2K is too much. I just grabbed a pair in great shape (9/10 condition) with the box for $170 Cdn. A barely used pair came up on the Canuck Audio classifieds last week for $125. You get the picture. Keep an eye on craigslist and the CAM website and you should be able to find a nice pair for $200 easily enough. These were popular cans, so there are quite a few floating around out there.

That is an insane deal. I'm always checking and they rarely come up for that good of a price. But yes $400 is probably too much. I was trying to look at my history of what I paid for mine and I was think around $350 but it may have been less $275-ish then add shipping on top.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4,963 of 5,248
  That is an insane deal. I'm always checking and they rarely come up for that good of a price. But yes $400 is probably too much. I was trying to look at my history of what I paid for mine and I was think around $350 but it may have been less $275-ish then add shipping on top.

Yeah, these are really great cans relative to what $200 gets you at BestBuy these days, but in the $400 ballpark I'd personally be looking for something with some wood on it.  :wink:

Incidentally, there's a(nother) pair of D2000s on CL in Vancouver right now for $200.  Apparently the cord is a bit frayed near the connector, but they're allegedly in good shape otherwise.  I'm sure you could talk the guy down a bit (if he's willing to ship them...)

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,965 of 5,248

Another idea I'm looking at is a Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module, rather than the Modi/Magni U stack setup. Any thoughts on that? 

I wanted to update with an answer to my own question...

The Jotunheim is awesome with the D2000. I feel like it really brings out the low and high ends the D2000 can produce, you can get some of the IMAX type rumble out in some songs, such as the Interstellar soundtrack. I threw the dice and got one with the DAC module, I'm glad I did, because it has a great deal of clarity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back