Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #4,921 of 5,248
I am using the Brainwavz memory foam angled pads with my D2000. They are very comfortable for long listening sessions. Treble was tamed a bit with these pads and I prefer it that way. Bass (sub or otherwise) is still amazing. I am very happy with the pads.

How did you make them fit? I tried to put them on but was afraid to break the Denons plastic ring.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4,923 of 5,248
I promised I would give some feedback on the Dekoni ear pads, so here goes.​
 ​
Alright, so I got myself two sets of Massdrop-exclusive Dekoni ear pads made for the Fostex TH-X00, but they're also compatible for the Denon D5000.​
 ​

​
Alright, so pulling out the contents of the UPS box, I was greeted by two teal-colored boxes with a white center stripe. Each are labeled with the type of leather used, Premium and Sheepskin.​
 ​
 ​
Guess I'll start with the Premium pads.​
 ​
 ​
Looking at the Premium pads, I noticed right away the the ear opening looked more smaller than the Denon pads.​
 ​
Swapping out the pads and trying them out, I noticed that the leather and foam were more firm than the original pads. As for the openings, they didn't feel any different compared to the Denons.​
 ​
The material is made out of pleather, though it's not identical to the pleather you would find on the Denon pads. The Dekoni leather is a bit thicker, and more firm. As for comfort, I couldn't imagine myself wearing these for long amounts of time.​
 ​
 ​
Time for the Sheepskin pads.​
 ​
 ​
With the sheepskin pads, the ear openings are a bit smaller than the Premium pads.​
 ​
Foam is as thick as the Premium pads, but the leather is slightly thicker, I'm guessing because of this pair uses actual sheepskin leather. On comfort, I would prefer the pleather on the Premium pads than the sheepskin on the Sheepskin pads. The pleather is a smoother material than the sheepskin, but between the three, I would still prefer the originals for long listening sessions.​
 ​
 ​
Comfort
Compared to the Premium and Sheepskin ear pads, the foam found in the Denon ear pads are extremely plush and soft, which I find to be very comfortable to wear on my head.​
 ​
The foam Premium and Sheepskin pads are more firmer than the Denons. When I wore these pads on my head, I could feel the foam press onto my head much more than the Denon pads. It takes a while to get used to, but afterwards, they're not that bad.​
 ​
 ​
Texture
With the Premium pads being made out of pleather, it does have a more softer feeling compared to the Sheepskin pads. However, both these pads lack in softness compared to the Denon pads. Overall, all have a smooth surface. Some just have smoother surfaces more than others. Not that this is a bad thing.​
 ​
 ​
Sound
I’m not good with audiophile terminology, so I'm not going to attempt to use words I don't know.​
 ​
Mmm, nothing really clicked with me. I didn't really hear that "Foster/Fostex/Denon" sound they're known for. For a lack of a better term, the sound was "eh." This was sort of a heartbreaker for me. For sound, I'd rather go for the originals.​
 ​
 ​
Dimensions
 ​
Denon 9H30001706: 107mm diameter | 66x43mm ear opening | 12-25mm thick​
 ​
Dekoni Premium: 103mm diameter (w/ POM ring) | 59x40mm ear opening | 16-29mm thick​
 ​
Dekoni Sheepskin: 103mm diameter (w/ POM ring) | 62x31mm ear opening | 17-30mm thick​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
For what this is, I think that Dekoni made a decent product; nothing too good or bad. The sound was kind of dulled, but nothing too bad. These ear pads weren't for me, I didn't really prefer the sound compared to the original pads.​
 ​
TL;DR: They're okay, I guess. Different strokes for different folks.​

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4,924 of 5,248
NIce pics and description. Well it seams that original Denon pads are in the lead....

Measurements were quite helpful as well, stiffer foam and variations in size; smaller openings, further positioning from the ears made sound less exposed in freq extremes. 

Thx 

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #4,926 of 5,248

Quote:
  Thanks for the pics and description.  For years I have wondered about changing the pads on my D5000.  I like the stock pads with the large ear opening and very comfortable.

Cheers!!!

No problem. Yeah, I've been wondering on changing my ear pads, too, since they've been flaky and gross for a long time, and I don't think that I could go for anything else but the stock pads.

Problem with that is that Denon doesn't really have any in stock. I could see why, this is a old headphone. With the new AH-D7200 on the horizon, the only way to find a new pair of ear pads directly from Denon is to wait until Denon has replacement pads when they release the D7200.

Even now, it's hard to find a pair from a second-hand seller. I've been looking around everywhere for about a month now, but I still have yet to find someone who has a spare set.

That and stock ear cups, but those are basically non-existent.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4,927 of 5,248
Your best bet will be to buy a pair of TH-610 pads as they're basically improved D5000 ones - dimensions are the same, the pleather and foam just feel higher quality.

Sadly, I think I'll need something a bit more plush due to my glasses so I'm probably going to look into Lawton pads or Sheepskin HM5 since they should provide a bit more in that regard..

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #4,928 of 5,248
I promised I would give some feedback on the Dekoni ear pads, so here goes.​

Alright, so I got myself two sets of Massdrop-exclusive Dekoni ear pads made for the Fostex TH-X00, but they're also compatible for the Denon D5000.​

Alright, so pulling out the contents of the UPS box, I was greeted by two teal-colored boxes with a white center stripe. Each are labeled with the type of leather used, Premium and Sheepskin.​

Guess I'll start with the Premium pads.​

Looking at the Premium pads, I noticed right away the the ear opening looked more smaller than the Denon pads.​

Swapping out the pads and trying them out, I noticed that the leather and foam were more firm than the original pads. As for the openings, they didn't feel any different compared to the Denons.​

The material is made out of pleather, though it's not identical to the pleather you would find on the Denon pads. The Dekoni leather is a bit thicker, and more firm. As for comfort, I couldn't imagine myself wearing these for long amounts of time.​

Time for the Sheepskin pads.​

With the sheepskin pads, the ear openings are a bit smaller than the Premium pads.​

Foam is as thick as the Premium pads, but the leather is slightly thicker, I'm guessing because of this pair uses actual sheepskin leather. On comfort, I would prefer the pleather on the Premium pads than the sheepskin on the Sheepskin pads. The pleather is a smoother material than the sheepskin, but between the three, I would still prefer the originals for long listening sessions.​

Comfort
Compared to the Premium and Sheepskin ear pads, the foam found in the Denon ear pads are extremely plush and soft, which I find to be very comfortable to wear on my head.​
 ​

The foam Premium and Sheepskin pads are more firmer than the Denons. When I wore these pads on my head, I could feel the foam press onto my head much more than the Denon pads. It takes a while to get used to, but afterwards, they're not that bad.​
 ​

​

Texture
With the Premium pads being made out of pleather, it does have a more softer feeling compared to the Sheepskin pads. However, both these pads lack in softness compared to the Denon pads. Overall, all have a smooth surface. Some just have smoother surfaces more than others. Not that this is a bad thing.​
 ​

​

Sound
I’m not good with audiophile terminology, so I'm not going to attempt to use words I don't know.​

Mmm, nothing really clicked with me. I didn't really hear that "Foster/Fostex/Denon" sound they're known for. For a lack of a better term, the sound was "eh." This was sort of a heartbreaker for me. For sound, I'd rather go for the originals.​

Dimensions

Denon 9H30001706: 107mm diameter | 66x43mm ear opening | 12-25mm thick​

Dekoni Premium: 103mm diameter (w/ POM ring) | 59x40mm ear opening | 16-29mm thick​

Dekoni Sheepskin: 103mm diameter (w/ POM ring) | 62x31mm ear opening | 17-30mm thick​

For what this is, I think that Dekoni made a decent product; nothing too good or bad. The sound was kind of dulled, but nothing too bad. These ear pads weren't for me, I didn't really prefer the sound compared to the original pads.​

TL;DR: They're okay, I guess. Different strokes for different folks.​

Got a picture of the back of the dekoni pads?.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #4,929 of 5,248
Am I the only one that had their original Denon pads essentially disintegrate?  All the black bits of the fake leather came off mine.  I am trying to figure out which company to buy some pads from now.  I also need the headband but someone suggested just making one DIY.  I don't think I would go with synthetic leather since the original stuff completely broke down on me.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #4,930 of 5,248
  Am I the only one that had their original Denon pads essentially disintegrate?  All the black bits of the fake leather came off mine.  I am trying to figure out which company to buy some pads from now.  I also need the headband but someone suggested just making one DIY.  I don't think I would go with synthetic leather since the original stuff completely broke down on me.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/236783-Fostex-1466441004
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273068-REG/fostex_ex_ep_61_replacement_ear_pads_for.html / http://www.adorama.com/ftexep61.html

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,931 of 5,248
Got a picture of the back of the dekoni pads?.

​
The back of the Dekoni Premium ear pads.​
 ​
 ​

The back of both the Dekoni Premium (left) and Denon (right) ear pads. Note the lack of plastic backing on the Dekoni pads.​
 ​
 ​

Dekoni Premium ear pads with the POM plate inserted.​
 ​

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #4,932 of 5,248
  Your best bet will be to buy a pair of TH-610 pads as they're basically improved D5000 ones - dimensions are the same, the pleather and foam just feel higher quality.

Sadly, I think I'll need something a bit more plush due to my glasses so I'm probably going to look into Lawton pads or Sheepskin HM5 since they should provide a bit more in that regard..

I was under the impression that the TH-610 used the same pads as the TH-X00s, but if this is true then they may be a decent alternative.

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4,933 of 5,248

I was under the impression that the TH-610 used the same pads as the TH-X00s, but if this is true then they may be a decent alternative.

X00 have a smaller opening, TH-610 are the same shape as the Denon originals - that's one of the reasons I didn't go for the X00s, since I was afraid they'd give me bad discomfort with my glasses.
Turns out that problem still persists with wider openings <_<

Oh well, at least I have nothing else to complain about with these.

B&H have a picture of them, but if anybody wants to see a direct image comparison I can arrange that in the coming days.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #4,934 of 5,248
Well last week I finally went ahead and ordered the Mr Speakers pads. Personally, I love them. I find them to be extremely comfortable, and with the real leather I'm hoping to not have any flaking issues in the future. I will say it was mildly terrifying getting them onto the Denon mounting rings.

Pictured next to Logitech G502, and by chance my calculator.

My next task is going to be to recable them (possibly as single entry if I can figure out a way how to), paint my metal parts and cups, and see about getting a real leather band for the headband made since it has a bit of flaking going on.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #4,935 of 5,248
Be careful, when you will be painting them, especially at the point, where the frame of the driver is attached to the arms of the headband - it will be more tricky to get a paint there and to not cause some oversprays doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back