Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Oct 5, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #4,907 of 5,248
I stand neutral at best towards the Lawton pads. They surely improve soundstage in a way that the D5000s sound more speaker-like, obviously because the drivers are placed further from the ears. But they frequently make music sound thinner and 'smaller'. To my ears the stock pads have the ideal distance from the ears and sound overall more balanced, lush and engaging. Unfortunately my stock pad are worn out and aren't sold seperately.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #4,908 of 5,248
  I stand neutral at best towards the Lawton pads. They surely improve soundstage in a way that the D5000s sound more speaker-like, obviously because the drivers are placed further from the ears. But they frequently make music sound thinner and 'smaller'. To my ears the stock pads have the ideal distance from the ears and sound overall more balanced, lush and engaging. Unfortunately my stock pad are worn out and aren't sold seperately.

I was looking at the Lawton pads due to wanting real-leather alternatives for my TH-610s, but it doesn't seem like they have the sown-in plastic attenuation ring on the underside, which apparently causes problems.

Haven't found any real leather pads with that kind of design yet - anyone here know of a manufacturer?

The reason I'm looking at real leather is that since I got my new glasses, pleather randomly starts squeaking on my glasses' frame at random intervals when I turn my head, and they can press quite strongly after hours of use. I love the feel of the TH-610 pads, but it seems like I'll need to change it up for my own sake.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #4,909 of 5,248
That is a problem - unfortunately (personally I have had no luck finding some) there are no real leather ones - you can find same kind of a PU leather (pleather, leatherette) ones in the all prices from 10$ to 50$ and it is pretty much the same.

I like mine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282107468567 - I would like to see someone comparing them to the stock pads.
In overall, quite pleasing quality - I am used to "just" pleather from the Brainwavz pads, so I have not a lot of problems with it, but genuine leather is, of course, appreciated.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #4,910 of 5,248
Regarding stock shape leather pads, @Zephuros did mention Dekoni drop, don't know if it's still active but those pads look like stock Denons. I guess we can ask @Zephuros to compare the shape and measurements(?)

Dropaded thanks for the update on the pads. I had a conversation with a headfier about Zmf omni pads but they are used on a TX00 purplehearts which is rather close enough. He reported that the 'phones retained their original signature while making highs and bass little less aggressive and refined. Soundstage got bigger slightly, something pretty similar to Alpha pads when looking at your impressions.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #4,911 of 5,248
  Regarding stock shape leather pads, @Zephuros did mention Dekoni drop, don't know if it's still active but those pads look like stock Denons. I guess we can ask @Zephuros to compare the shape and measurements(?)

Dropaded thanks for the update on the pads. I had a conversation with a headfier about Zmf omni pads but they are used on a TX00 purplehearts which is rather close enough. He reported that the 'phones retained their original signature while making highs and bass little less aggressive and refined. Soundstage got bigger slightly, something pretty similar to Alpha pads when looking at your impressions.

The Dekoni drop ended a couple of days ago, and it's expected to ship out at the end of October, so I should be receiving them by early November.

As for measurements and a review/comparison, I'll try to scrape up something — I personally don't have any equipment to measure my headphones, but I will try to find a way to get measurements.

A while before the drop started, I was actually interested in trying out a pair of Audeze ear pads, but the price really wasn't worth it, but I've always wondered if they made a world of difference compared to the stock pads.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #4,912 of 5,248
Hi Zeph,

When I've sad measurement, I was referring to the Dekoni vs Denon stock pads, as thickness front/back, opening size, foam hardness and such.

Audeze pads on a Denon, don't know but I think I've seen that somewhere on Headfi, not sure if ti was on Fostex or Denon's. Probably it would be a world of difference but in what direction, hard to answer unless you try it first. But price of the pads is not budget friendly so in order to try them you need pretty nice sum of cash, but lets put it this way. If I was contemplating whether to buy some fancy braided cable with gold plated jack'n'splitter or all the pads that are mention here, I would buy the pads in a heartbeat :) they do make a considerable difference.

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,913 of 5,248
Hi Zeph,

When I've sad measurement, I was referring to the Dekoni vs Denon stock pads, as thickness front/back, opening size, foam hardness and such.

Audeze pads on a Denon, don't know but I think I've seen that somewhere on Headfi, not sure if ti was on Fostex or Denon's. Probably it would be a world of difference but in what direction, hard to answer unless you try it first. But price of the pads is not budget friendly so in order to try them you need pretty nice sum of cash, but lets put it this way. If I was contemplating whether to buy some fancy braided cable with gold plated jack'n'splitter or all the pads that are mention here, I would buy the pads in a heartbeat :) they do make a considerable difference.

Audeze pads on my denon d2k, my emu teak, and my custom headphones sucked. Not worth even looking at it.

Early bass roll off, bloated upper bass lower mids, huge drop at 2-4khz and tons of treble.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #4,916 of 5,248
Audeze pads on my denon d2k, my emu teak, and my custom headphones sucked. Not worth even looking at it.

Early bass roll off, bloated upper bass lower mids, huge drop at 2-4khz and tons of treble.

Woah, severe dip in 2-4k on a Denon (bloat + piercing highs ),....... that's f@*%ed up dude. You saved a lot of curious headfiers out there.
  Eww. Now I'm even more glad that I didn't buy them.

Saved by the drop :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #4,917 of 5,248
So the estimated shipping date for the drop was around the end of October, but about a couple of days ago, I got a shipping confirmation with a tracking number!

It looks like they're going to be coming in tomorrow or on Wednesday. Finally, I can get rid of these flaking pads.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #4,918 of 5,248
I am using the Brainwavz memory foam angled pads with my D2000. They are very comfortable for long listening sessions. Treble was tamed a bit with these pads and I prefer it that way. Bass (sub or otherwise) is still amazing. I am very happy with the pads.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #4,920 of 5,248
Yeah, I was expecting them to start shipping by the expected date, but for some reason, I got a confirmation from Massdrop saying that they shipped.

This completely caught me off guard, and I'm actually wondering if there was some kind of error. Then again, a lot of people joined the drop and I joined when there wasn't too many buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back