Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4,726 of 5,248
I have been meaning to come back and post something more in-depth, but now I am just sad as my right ear cup fell off yesterday... The screw holding it on somehow came loose (Maybe rattling in shipping?) and it just dropped right off as I set them down on my desk at the end of the day. Without a severely bent screwdriver, I will have to disassemble the whole cup to get at the screw, looks like. Any tips? 
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,727 of 5,248
I have been meaning to come back and post something more in-depth, but now I am just sad as my right ear cup fell off yesterday... The screw holding it on somehow came loose (Maybe rattling in shipping?) and it just dropped right off as I set them down on my desk at the end of the day. Without a severely bent screwdriver, I will have to disassemble the whole cup to get at the screw, looks like. Any tips? :frowning2:

Do you have any pictures ?? It's a bit hard to understand what came loose

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,728 of 5,248
My bad. I don't have access to them right now, but maybe I can explain. One screw holds the entire ear cup/pivot point assembly onto the headband. The cups can pivot on the assembly but not far enough to reach this screw with a normal driver or even just a small bit. That screw, and the small housing it sits in, has unscrewed itself and fallen completely off of the headband and the whole cup with it. Here, I'll borrow someone's image from this thread and try to illustrate...

Hopefully I can just screw it back in but it appears that I will have to disassemble the whole cup and then reassemble it once attached. This suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,729 of 5,248
My bad. I don't have access to them right now, but maybe I can explain. One screw holds the entire ear cup/pivot point assembly onto the headband. The cups can pivot on the assembly but not far enough to reach this screw with a normal driver or even just a small bit. That screw, and the small housing it sits in, has unscrewed itself and fallen completely off of the headband and the whole cup with it. Here, I'll borrow someone's image from this thread and try to illustrate...

Hopefully I can just screw it back in but it appears that I will have to disassemble the whole cup and then reassemble it once attached. This suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Ahh yes that tiny screw there.

It's quite easy to fix if you will have the tiny screw

Just take off the pads, leave the 4 visual small screws alone.
Instead in the holes that the pad rings fit into there is the 4 screws holding the cup undo those instead and the cup comes off.

When you assemble the the small screw make sure to use some locktite so it doesn't happen again.

When you screw the cup back on make sure you start to screw counter clock wise until you feel the screw make a small click then you are on the old thread and don't ruins them.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4,730 of 5,248

I accidentally sat on mine in the dark and snapped that screw. I went to a hardware store and picked up a countersunk screw (So once fitted its flush with hanger and doesn't foul ear cup) and two nuts so they lock together. I didnt take the cup off the hanger. The screw, with a little force will pass the cup. I did slightly scratch the cup but looked at it as that was better than being useless.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #4,731 of 5,248
Ahh yes that tiny screw there.

It's quite easy to fix if you will have the tiny screw

Just take off the pads, leave the 4 visual small screws alone.
Instead in the holes that the pad rings fit into there is the 4 screws holding the cup undo those instead and the cup comes off.

When you assemble the the small screw make sure to use some locktite so it doesn't happen again.

When you screw the cup back on make sure you start to screw counter clock wise until you feel the screw make a small click then you are on the old thread and don't ruins them.

Thanks!! I appreciate the tips. I will attempt to fix this when I have time after work.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,732 of 5,248
  I accidentally sat on mine in the dark and snapped that screw. I went to a hardware store and picked up a countersunk screw (So once fitted its flush with hanger and doesn't foul ear cup) and two nuts so they lock together. I didnt take the cup off the hanger. The screw, with a little force will pass the cup. I did slightly scratch the cup but looked at it as that was better than being useless.

Ouch... I hope that doesn't happen to me. I am going to try what walbum4262 suggested first, but thanks.

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #4,733 of 5,248
  I have been meaning to come back and post something more in-depth, but now I am just sad as my right ear cup fell off yesterday... The screw holding it on somehow came loose (Maybe rattling in shipping?) and it just dropped right off as I set them down on my desk at the end of the day. Without a severely bent screwdriver, I will have to disassemble the whole cup to get at the screw, looks like. Any tips? 
frown.gif

I modified a small screwdriver from the dollar store (soft metal) what i did is bend the end it partly worked but you have to bend it even shorter mine is 3/8 long at the end and its a bit to long try to keep it as short as possible when you bend it   Before bending heat it up on kitchen range element going to be easier to bend .Oh ya forgot make shure your wife doesnt see you do that, it does not fall in the WAF category lol .Good luck .                                                                                

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #4,734 of 5,248

I have been meaning to come back and post something more in-depth, but now I am just sad as my right ear cup fell off yesterday... The screw holding it on somehow came loose (Maybe rattling in shipping?) and it just dropped right off as I set them down on my desk at the end of the day. Without a severely bent screwdriver, I will have to disassemble the whole cup to get at the screw, looks like. Any tips? :frowning2:

I modified a small screwdriver from the dollar store (soft metal) what i did is bend the end it partly worked but you have to bend it even shorter mine is 3/8 long at the end and its a bit to long try to keep it as short as possible when you bend it   Before bending heat it up on kitchen range element going to be easier to bend .Oh ya forgot make shure your wife doesnt see you do that, it does not fall in the WAF category lol .Good luck .                                                                                

Really, it isn't worth doing it that way and risking hurting the cups. It's too easy to remove the cups anyway, might as well just do that and screw it in without the cup attached. It'll take 5 mins.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #4,735 of 5,248

frown.gif

Really, it isn't worth doing it that way and risking hurting the cups. It's too easy to remove the cups anyway, might as well just do that and screw it in without the cup attached. It'll take 5 mins.

if your not comfortable doing it this way its your choice my friend 

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,736 of 5,248

This is awesome! I was thinking I might have to do something like that, BUT....

Sadly, upon further inspection I realized that I fall into jcoops16's category. The screw is actually snapped. I see now that it threads through a small plastic casing before then threading into the headband itself separately. It is still threaded into the plastic casing, and it snapped off right where the very tip of the screw threads into the band. 
frown.gif

At this point, I think I'm just going to superglue it back into place. I believe I'll be losing the slight swivel ability of the cup, but I don't think this is overly important to the head fit. I won't have the opportunity to do this until sometime this weekend so if somebody has a really good reason not to do this, please shout. I am not really into the idea of trying to jam a new screw into it.

I love these cans, and contrary to what I said before I have been finding myself flipping between equalized and unequalized depending on genre and such. I need to do more research, and get a proper desktop amp for at work. I need to read up on clipping and driver sensitivity. I feel one or the other is affecting me here, as I have noticed that busier parts of a song seem to lack the punch I expect. It's like a song builds up and builds up and then when I expect that sweet hook/riff drop it suddenly gets quiet and flat. Additionally, sub-bass almost seems better with the EQ off even though I am bumping it a lot under EQ. Perhaps this is what clipping means as I had turned off the pre-eq gain drop. I had no idea what that was for other than apparently making it quieter.

I am warming up to these and their signature more and more, and maybe burn in is changing the sound too. I think I am too used to flat Sennheiser signature, and different genres really respond differently.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #4,737 of 5,248
Hey guys. Just dropping by to let everyone know that Massdrop has a drop on a new pair of exclusive headphones built in collaboration with Fostex. Seeing as how Fostex is basically the OEM for our Denons I thought it would interest prospective owners of Denons/Fostex headphones.

The model goes by the name TH-X00 and sells for 399.99. It's very similar to the D5000 in both price and looks before they were discontinued. Light colored mahogany cups.

Cheers!

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #4,738 of 5,248
Hey guys. Just dropping by to let everyone know that Massdrop has a drop on a new pair of exclusive headphones built in collaboration with Fostex. Seeing as how Fostex is basically the OEM for our Denons I thought it would interest prospective owners of Denons/Fostex headphones.

The model goes by the name TH-X00 and sells for 399.99. It's very similar to the D5000 in both price and looks before they were discontinued. Light colored mahogany cups.

Cheers!

yea my Modded D5k is egar to see how this new young Pup compares to a refined aged Franken Phone

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #4,739 of 5,248
The specs of the TX-X00 seem to indicate that it uses the exact same driver as the TH-600.  So, a modded TH-600 that is selling for less money.  Interesting to know where the cost savings were made, if any, or if they are simply selling it for a smaller profit margin.  Looks great, and hopefully the limited availability won't drive the price upward.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #4,740 of 5,248
  The specs of the TX-X00 seem to indicate that it uses the exact same driver as the TH-600.  So, a modded TH-600 that is selling for less money.  Interesting to know where the cost savings were made, if any, or if they are simply selling it for a smaller profit margin.  Looks great, and hopefully the limited availability won't drive the price upward.

I would assume it is the same savings as for the AKG K7xx, by moving manufacturing to China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back