Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #4,531 of 5,248
  Here's one option...............I have a pair and like them. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349307920

And another............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone/281671674129?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30543%26meid%3D60b59a5aae49437ab4754adf05adc2ea%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261349307920&rt=nc

Thanks for the input, but they don't seem like what I am looking for. I would like some thick, angled earpads, like the Lawton Audio/ JMoney ones.

May 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #4,532 of 5,248

Thanks for the input, but they don't seem like what I am looking for. I would like some thick, angled earpads, like the Lawton Audio/ JMoney ones.

Good choice.  J$ only available used.  Lawton is $100 or Mr Speakers Alpha pads are thick and angled for $59.  Or what I have on my D7000 is the Stax 007 pads @ $160. 

May 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,534 of 5,248
I went hog wild and ordered the Lawton Angled Pads, a pair of HeadphonePro earpads ( http://headphoneproaudio.com/collections/denon ) and a pair of Alpha pads. The Alpha pads I'd use for the D2k, it deserves a little sprucing up, besides, the original earpads are flaking a little.

May 6, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #4,535 of 5,248
I have just purchased a pair of lightly used D2000's and am waiting for them to arrive. They will supersede my faithful Shure SRH840's. As a big fan of electronic music I feel they will suit my needs perfectly. I have read a lot about the build issues. Mine will only be used at home. Is there any maintenance (such as tightening screws) I should look into doing upon receiving them / is there anywhere to buy those replacement swivel kits? 

Also I am thinking I may look into the DIY stage one Lawton mod down the track. I gather the genuine leather those guys use in their pads is much better / longer lasting? I have only experienced headphones with pleather in the past which inevitably ends up peeling.

May 6, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,536 of 5,248
I'd gotten a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog from a seller locally, he'd had it for a couple of years I think. Anyway, after a thorough cleaning using mild disinfecting wipes, I put on the headphones and the leather's soft as ever. That's why I'm converting my D7k and D2k to full leather earpads, they last much longer and don't flake easily.Just like the lambskin leather on the Audeze, these suckers were made to last. On a side note, I can't say with absolute certainty, but the pads on the D7k feels a little different from those on the D2k.....perhaps they are genuine leather as oppose to pleather (?) on the D2k.

May 6, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #4,537 of 5,248
  I have just purchased a pair of lightly used D2000's and am waiting for them to arrive. They will supersede my faithful Shure SRH840's. As a big fan of electronic music I feel they will suit my needs perfectly. I have read a lot about the build issues. Mine will only be used at home. Is there any maintenance (such as tightening screws) I should look into doing upon receiving them / is there anywhere to buy those replacement swivel kits? 

Also I am thinking I may look into the DIY stage one Lawton mod down the track. I gather the genuine leather those guys use in their pads is much better / longer lasting? I have only experienced headphones with pleather in the past which inevitably ends up peeling.

When it arrives check the condition of all the joints.  I've owned all the Denon's for over two years now with no trouble but I also made sure everything was tight when received (and actually never had to tighten anything) and of course the key is to treat it gently.  Same goes with a TH600 and TH900 as it's the same chassis.  There's a guy in NJ that sells parts for the repair named Angelo and I'll try to find his info for you.  You can also do a search for "Denon repair" and I believe the info will come up.

Pads - I much prefer the Lawton angles over any other for these headphones.  The real leather is comfy and to me has the right foam density and angle.  Mark Lawton did a good job developing the mods and pads and I respect what his work has accomplished.  I had my D7000 bone stock and felt the bass was a bit boomy.  Sent it to him for level 1 work and got back a perfect sound signature for my liking.  The issue is the cost of his pads - $100 is not cheap but if you plan on keeping the headphone for a while it may well be worth it.  I put Stax 007 pads on my D7000 recently as I bought them to test on my HE-6, which I didn't like on it but do like them a lot on my Denon. 

May 6, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #4,539 of 5,248
May 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,540 of 5,248
May 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #4,541 of 5,248
  Good info, thanks. Was torn between the Stax/Audeze  pads for the HE-6.

Are they worth the money for the D7k or should I just stick with the Lawtons?

Honestly I'd stay with Lawton for the $60 delta. 

May 6, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,542 of 5,248

Couple of other options I found on that thread -

The parts can be ordered online from https://www.encompassparts.com/ 

Just search for the part numbers listed in the first post of this thread...all were in stock today.

"bought my replacement parts from Lawton Audio. The prices were comparable to other online vendors and he at least has it all in stock. I saved myself at least $40 bucks fixing it myself but I did need to by an additional 4mm nut driver that I bought as part of this kit

For those of you attempting to fix it, I followed the instructions found on AVS Forum. There is a step by step guide with photos which was helpful. The most difficult part was taking off the cap. The suggestion is to use a thin flat head screwdriver. At least with the way I did it, you don't use the screwdriver to pry it open by trying to slide it in between some gap since none existed on mine. I believe it is glued so you need jam the screwdriver against the side and lift it upwards. I slowly went around the cap repeating these steps a few times and eventually this removed the cap. You do need to be careful that you don't accidentally jam the screwdriver into your other hand while attempting it.

Once the cap is off the rest is pretty easy. This thread mentioned using locktite. I had it ready but in my haste and excitement to put this back in one piece I forgot to add the locktite. I don't think it'll make or break the fix so if you don't have it laying around I would say it isn't worth buying a tube.

Finally the replacement cap doesn't screw on or pop back on. You'll need to use stick glue as suggested on AVS Forum. I'll have to try it as mine is exposed at the moment but that is a purely aesthetics piece and doesn't impact the listening and enjoyment at all.

Here's to another few years of happy listening with the Denon D-2000!"

May 7, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #4,543 of 5,248
Thanks for the replies guys. I tried a few of those part numbers and it says out of stock. Probably being over cautious. I am sure they will be fine. They'll live inside so they'll be precious. Curious to see how they compare to my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back