Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 15, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #4,426 of 5,248
I've been seeing that for sale for months I'm glad you got it! Gorgeous.......

Does it have any Lawton damping?

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #4,427 of 5,248
Does it have any Lawton damping?

nah, no damping.

i have a set of cups coming from lohb, and i believe he will include some damping materials when he sends them out. so i'll do more extensive testing and back and forth comparisons to determine whether i want to damp one/both.

will most likely apply the "shelf liner" mod to both as well, to take the edge off the highs.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #4,428 of 5,248

nah, no damping.

i have a set of cups coming from lohb, and i believe he will include some damping materials when he sends them out. so i'll do more extensive testing and back and forth comparisons to determine whether i want to damp one/both.

will most likely apply the "shelf liner" mod to both as well, to take the edge off the highs.

Any boominess with it now?  When I got my LA2000 back with the deep Cocobolo cups the boominess was not good................fixed it with hollofill and Dynamat.  It's bass is now maybe the equal of my MD7000.

I'm waiting on my cups from Lohb as well..................I think he's going to take over the cup market.  Martin takes too long and Lawton is too spendy................

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4,429 of 5,248
Any boominess with it now?  When I got my LA2000 back with the deep Cocobolo cups the boominess was not good................fixed it with hollofill and Dynamat.  It's bass is now maybe the equal of my MD7000.

I haven't had much of a chance to listen since I got them (hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance!), but in the few songs I listened to, I didn't notice substantially more boominess than my D2000. They are boomier, I think, but not to the point I felt they necessarily needed damping...was too busy enjoying! :) But then I never found my D2000 too boomy either (I don't mind a bit of boominess!), so coming from your LA's I'm guessing you would find them too boomy.

I probably will end up damping one of them, to get a slightly different sound between the two. And if I end up preferring damped, I'll do them both!

I'm waiting on my cups from Lohb as well..................I think he's going to take over the cup market.  Martin takes too long and Lawton is too spendy................

Definitely excited to see how they turn out!

And then i'll join you amongst the multi wood denons club! :)

I am tempted by those LA7000 in the for sale section...one from each cup-maker would be nice, to complete the double-triple! :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4,431 of 5,248
I haven't had much of a chance to listen since I got them (hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance!), but in the few songs I listened to, I didn't notice substantially more boominess than my D2000. They are boomier, I think, but not to the point I felt they necessarily needed damping...was too busy enjoying!
smily_headphones1.gif
But then I never found my D2000 too boomy either (I don't mind a bit of boominess!), so coming from your LA's I'm guessing you would find them too boomy.

I probably will end up damping one of them, to get a slightly different sound between the two. And if I end up preferring damped, I'll do them both!
Definitely excited to see how they turn out!

And then i'll join you amongst the multi wood denons club!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am tempted by those LA7000 in the for sale section...one from each cup-maker would be nice, to complete the double-triple!
smily_headphones1.gif

The ones for $2000?  Quite an investment.

Does a deeper cup sound better than an original one? 
I know the standard D2000 cup is 0.75'', while Martin did even 2.5''. Is there a sound improvement with a deeper cup or just esthetics?

I think there is from my experience with my LA2000.  Once I got the boominess eliminated I could hear the "depth of sound" they now bring. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,432 of 5,248

The ones for $2000?  Quite an investment.

nah, those ones are a bit rich for my blood!

the pair i was looking at is the one with African Wenge cups and the J$ pads...those cups! possibly my favourite cups i've seen (and there's been a lot of damn fine cups)! i'm all about that grain!

Does a deeper cup sound better than an original one? 
I know the standard D2000 cup is 0.75'', while Martin did even 2.5''. Is there a sound improvement with a deeper cup or just esthetics?

will do more extensive testing between the two, but from all accounts it does affect the sound.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #4,434 of 5,248
That guy is selling them at the market value they will have in 10 years.

Agreed.

They have been for sale for months and I have a feeling and will remain for months if they sell at all here.

He should sell them on eBay.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #4,436 of 5,248
Hi all, after much internal debate, have decided to sell my D5000 (no mods, truly excellent condition, original owner circa 2011).  What is a fair price these days?  I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this forum and apologize if it is.

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,437 of 5,248
  Hi all, after much internal debate, have decided to sell my D5000 (no mods, truly excellent condition, original owner circa 2011).  What is a fair price these days?  I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this forum and apologize if it is.

Roughly $400-500 seems right for a pristine pair.  My most recent D5000 purchase was for a bone stock unit in mint condition and no mods for $425. 

What are you replacing them with? 

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4,440 of 5,248
What do you think is a fair price for my set of d2ks with d7k wood cups with dynamat extreme and J$ v2 leather pads?

I agree with Casper. There are a few already for sale just like your description on our for sale board and they range In prices up to almost $600 but likely won't get near that for a D2K. Realistic is $400ish and I think if you have custom cups (Lawton or Martin Custom) you may get a bit more.

Why are you selling? Moving up or just want a change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back