Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #4,321 of 5,248
  I put the D7000s up on ebay and someone bought them.  I am a bit sad, but I never use over the ear headphones much at home, sadly.  I've probably made a mistake..

Yea :[ maybe so

I'm really lovin the LA D5k, more than my old D2k I think, enjoying some Santana on it, and the bass isn't as overwhelming as I remember the LA D2k being, either way it's a stellar headphone! 

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4,322 of 5,248
Still looking mostly at these for a new pair of over the ears headphone as I've found a couple of D5000 for a great price, 280 dollars. Damn tempting. Though I'm wondering if there would be any problems using these while lying in bed now and then? Considering the long cable and maybe lack(?) of clamp force, as I've seen mentioned?

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,323 of 5,248
New owner of some D2000's (man, they're comfortable!) and exploring a bunch of music to find some gems on the D2k's.  For anyone who's getting annoyed by rolled off mids, queue up a few of these songs and enjoy - I tried to mix up genres with something for everyone (you'll find that many of the other songs from these artists will also sound very impressive!).  Thanks to everyones' archive posts that helped me pick these out as a headphone I wanted to have in my quiver!

MALE VOCALS/JAZZ - Frank Sinatra w/ Count Basie & His Orchestra (remastered) - Fly Me to the Moon
REGGAE - Stephen Marley - Hey Baby
POP - Kimbra Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know
BLUEGRASS - Nickel Creek - Rest of my Life (NPR Tiny Desk @ 5:15) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFycqnOpifQ
BLUEGRASS - Nickel Creek - The Lighthouse's Tale
SINGER/SONGWRITER - Ryan Adams - Let it Ride
ROCK - Linkin Park - Lying From You
JAZZ/LATIN - Nori y Los Hermanos - Armando's Rhumba
BLUEGRASS/POP - Milk Carton Kids - Michigan
COUNTRY - Zac Brown Band -  Knee Deep (ft. Jimmy Buffett) (and most of his songs)
FEMALE VOCALS - The Wailin' Jennys - Bright Morning Stars
CHORAL - Eric Whitacre - Sleep

Most disappointing genre = Classic Rock.  (lots of rolled off vocals here, barely audible in many cases - running unamped at the moment)

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,324 of 5,248
Just got my modded D2k last Wednesday (weren't supposed to arrive til Friday according to tracking so when I got home from a trip what a pleasant surprise). So far I am really digging them. I usually use/prefer an open phone but needed something closed and if possible to drive unamped at times for portable travels. So far I am very pleased. Sound is good and the common complaint of recessed mids I haven't experienced. The sound signature isn't to far off from my go-to phone ATM which are Beyer DT990's. The D2k are also very comfortable. I had planned on putting some alpha pads on but as comfortable and 'right sounding' as they are now I don't want to take a chance on messing up the bass. They play well form both my phone and tablet unamped but when paired with my Sunrise 2 and a Pvane 12AU7 the warmth and subtleties are exquisite. My thanks to ccasper who modded and recabled them and meowmix4jo for the trade !!

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,325 of 5,248
  Just got my modded D2k last Wednesday (weren't supposed to arrive til Friday according to tracking so when I got home from a trip what a pleasant surprise). So far I am really digging them. I usually use/prefer an open phone but needed something closed and if possible to drive unamped at times for portable travels. So far I am very pleased. Sound is good and the common complaint of recessed mids I haven't experienced. The sound signature isn't to far off from my go-to phone ATM which are Beyer DT990's. The D2k are also very comfortable. I had planned on putting some alpha pads on but as comfortable and 'right sounding' as they are now I don't want to take a chance on messing up the bass. They play well form both my phone and tablet unamped but when paired with my Sunrise 2 and a Pvane 12AU7 the warmth and subtleties are exquisite. My thanks to ccasper who modded and recabled them and meowmix4jo for the trade !!

You don't think the 990's sound considerably different vs the 2k's ? I personally find them very different. But maybe with your mod they changed the sig of the 2k. I always found the 2k's to be very wide on sound stage and very smooth. The 990's I thought had a lesser soundstage, more in your face and not nearly as smooth. I enjoy both headphones and its because of their differences that I still have both. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #4,326 of 5,248

You don't think the 990's sound considerably different vs the 2k's ? I personally find them very different. But maybe with your mod they changed the sig of the 2k. I always found the 2k's to be very wide on sound stage and very smooth. The 990's I thought had a lesser soundstage, more in your face and not nearly as smooth. I enjoy both headphones and its because of their differences that I still have both. 

It will take more listening for a good comparison as I recently got some new soundboard rips from a favorite band of mine and that is pretty much all  I have been listening too the past week. Initial impressions are that it has a similar v-shape to the sound - emphasized bass and trebles but with no sibilance at all. Soundstage - to me 990's have one of the widest soundstages around but not as deep - these d2k seem to be a little deeper but less wide. Will need more time with wider range of music and same amp/set-up to do a proper comparison. The two have many more similarities than differences at this point to my ears.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #4,327 of 5,248
Maple Denon 2000's Check!

He made 2 minor mistakes on them. The lip is a little bigger then stock so it doesn't sit 100% flush. And when he did the poly he got a finger print on it. He said he could fix both problems and I said NOPE I want to listen to them and have them mine. 

I absolutely LOVE how these look. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4,328 of 5,248
  Maple Denon 2000's Check!

He made 2 minor mistakes on them. The lip is a little bigger then stock so it doesn't sit 100% flush. And when he did the poly he got a finger print on it. He said he could fix both problems and I said NOPE I want to listen to them and have them mine. 

I absolutely LOVE how these look. 

These actually don't look too bad at all. How do they sound?

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4,329 of 5,248
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,330 of 5,248
It's not exactly fair because I went from pleather/leather and plastic cups to now velour and wood cups. I noticed the ohms needed went up. Before I could listen at 18/100 volume and now its 30/100 volume to get to the same level. This could be the first "closed" headphone I really like. It doesn't have that closed headphone fatigue.  I have lost a little sound stage but I think that is due to the shape and material of the pads. There seems to be a balance now that wasn't there before. I remember the stock 2000's being a little bassy. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #4,332 of 5,248
Nice job! Is he going to make some others out of different wood now?

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #4,333 of 5,248
Nice job! Is he going to make some others out of different wood now?

I want to test them out for a month to see how they wear, sound etc. The next project is going to be a dual 53mm Audio Techinica W1000 woodie cupped headphone. 

Edit: He has other woods, cherry, black walnut etc but those woods are expensive to obtain. Maple is insanely cheap here and as a tonal wood is fairly decent. When I finalize a design I will try more expensive woods. 

This was a cup that he failed on. That ring takes 90% of the time to make. I wonder if you even need it. If you bring the ring all the way out tot he edge you'd have a cup that was raised ever so slightly but would still fit. 

This is a very rough photoshop of what it might look like. These cups my cousin could knock out in 2 hours. 1 hour being for the cups and then 6x 10 minute poly. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #4,335 of 5,248
  I don't have the D5000 anymore (sold them a long time ago). But I loved them very much.    are those models (2k,5k,7k) discontinued ?  

Yup, and even worse they released a line of headphones to replace them that look dreadful. Not to say looks are everything but the 2k-7k looked amazing. It's a shame they ruined a piece of art. 

Their successor, Denon's version of beats by dre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back