Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,291 of 5,248
Like I said, not surprising to hear. I could deff understand someone preferring D2k to D5k.

Whatever sounds best to you is best
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #4,292 of 5,248
  Like I said, not surprising to hear. I could deff understand someone preferring D2k to D5k.

Whatever sounds best to you is best
beerchug.gif

Honestly, my Wood Cups are dampened with something... not sure what as I'm not opening em up!

But my D2k had Non Dampend wood cups and Dampend drivers and it sounded pretty great with Lawton pads, now my D5k has dampneded everything and Alpha Pads and I dare say it has better mids over the old D2k and... less bass? 

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #4,293 of 5,248
  Honestly, my Wood Cups are dampened with something... not sure what as I'm not opening em up!

But my D2k had Non Dampend wood cups and Dampend drivers and it sounded pretty great with Lawton pads, now my D5k has dampneded everything and Alpha Pads and I dare say it has better mids over the old D2k and... less bass? 

The highs and mids, and sometimes even the bass, sounded better with the D5000 cups.  Everything sounded more coherent and richer with the wood cups...but every once in a while things also got a little too boomy.   I wish I could tone the bass down by just one notch -- things would be perfect then.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #4,294 of 5,248

The highs and mids, and sometimes even the bass, sounded better with the D5000 cups.  Everything sounded more coherent and richer with the wood cups...but every once in a while things also got a little too boomy.   I wish I could tone the bass down by just one notch -- things would be perfect then.

Hmm might be your pads, the stock pads are pretty boomy, I noticed as soon as I slapped on the Alpha Pads a lot of the Bass Decay was Gone [I.e the pads eat up all that extra nasty decay] 

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #4,296 of 5,248
  Can someone who has Martin's deep chamber cups please send me rough dimensions/ post them here? I would like to try make some cups and love the aesthetics of his products.

They are pretty, but why stick to the beaten path and not make a cup shape that you make yourself? It would be more original that way.

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #4,298 of 5,248
Any tips? What would have effects on sound quality? How do I attach it to the headphones such that I don't void their warranty? 
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Disassembling anything will void the warranty. No I don't have any tips, I don't own a lathe and have never operated one. You might contact the user 7keys if you want tips or someone to possibly do them for you (I have no idea whether he would be willing to do that or not).

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #4,299 of 5,248
Any tips? What would have effects on sound quality? How do I attach it to the headphones such that I don't void their warranty? 
Thanks in advance,
Chris

You'll have to remove the cups to model the new ones regardless. Once you do that you can see the pattern needed.

Give it a shot on making the cups.........deeper cups make the bass deeper but without damping the extra deep ones I put on my D2000 from Martin Custom were boomy till I did the Lawton damping trick with Dynamat.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #4,301 of 5,248
Always been fascinated by the Denon dxxxx range. Love the looks. Thinking about getting a pair of D2000, used. Wondering if a price of 200-250 dollars is a good price for a pair that are used and in good condition? Also interested in if anyone could compare them to similar headphones in that price range or a litte higher. Like the NADs, MDR 7520, Focal Spirit Pro and MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Are they still worth it, compared to headphones that are newer with similar sound quality?

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #4,303 of 5,248
Yes, they are still worth it in my opinion.
I think they are very musical sounding headphones, with that (enjoying music) in mind they are still on par with the latest headphones by NAD and Focal spirit, again imho of course.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #4,304 of 5,248
Agree with both guys. For $250ish they are a steal. I think they are still worth $300 and are so easy to mod with pads, Lawton damping and even custom wood cups, they will stand the test of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back