Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,211 of 5,248
  Which would be more worth the cost (about the same price total):

1) D2000 (w/ Lawton mod + Angle pads)

or 

2) D5000 (unmodded, original pads)

(fyi--I'm still having trouble finding a near-mint condition pair of D2000s for a reasonable price. If anyone knows someone or some place that's selling a near-mint or new pair, please let me know!)

This would entirely depend on what you plan to do with these headphones.  The only difference between the stock D2K and D5K are the cups and cable.  Personally, I believe the cups make a noticeable improvement.  Both headphones would benefit from angled pads and the Lawton mod, and it appears that you have this benefit with this particular D2K that is for sale.  Work out the numbers and decide what is bast for you.

A pair of unmodded D5K would probably be worth a lot more on the market if you intend to re-sell them later.

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,212 of 5,248

This would entirely depend on what you plan to do with these headphones.  The only difference between the stock D2K and D5K are the cups and cable.  Personally, I believe the cups make a noticeable improvement.  Both headphones would benefit from angled pads and the Lawton mod, and it appears that you have this benefit with this particular D2K that is for sale.  Work out the numbers and decide what is bast for you.

A pair of unmodded D5K would probably be worth a lot more on the market if you intend to re-sell them later.

Well what I meant is that buying a used D2K (~$300) and sending it to Lawton myself (~$200) would = the cost of a used D5K. 

Mainly going to be used for watching movies. My music taste is very broad and eclectic, so whichever is more versatile wins. Although I must say, I have a strong liking for bass, although I'm not a basshead. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,213 of 5,248
Well what I meant is that buying a used D2K (~$300) and sending it to Lawton myself (~$200) would = the cost of a used D5K. 

Mainly going to be used for watching movies. My music taste is very broad and eclectic, so whichever is more versatile wins. Although I must say, I have a strong liking for bass, although I'm not a basshead. 

Same difference. Just going to come down to preference. If you arent overly critical just go with the stock d5000 imo. Easier to resell and versatile.

Hard to recommend the mods if you haven't heard the stock phones etc. I think the d5000 / d2000 stock first then add pads later if you want to.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #3,214 of 5,248

This is much harder to decide because the mod changes the mids and the bass quite a lot. Even the D2000 will sound quite different modded from the stock of either a D2000 or a stock D5000.
If your preference is strong bass the D5000 unmodded is a great way to go. the mod will essentially dampen the sub bass and dampen the bass and mid bass significantly

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #3,217 of 5,248
While I had the drivers completely off I replaced the silver plated copper wires in the pigtails with Canare mini star quad wire, because it's more flexible. I like it better now, before they were so stiff.

My camera pics up any white dust spec when focusing on black, so excuse it if you see it. 

Voila

Before:

After:

(didn't get the angle the exact same, close enough)

Watch out for a TH600 with D2000 cups in the FS forums!

jk 
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #3,218 of 5,248
  While I had the drivers completely off I replaced the silver plated copper wires in the pigtails with Canare mini star quad wire, because it's more flexible. I like it better now, before they were so stiff.

My camera pics up any white dust spec when focusing on black, so excuse it if you see it. 

Voila

Watch out for a TH600 with D2000 cups in the FS forums!

jk 
tongue.gif

Wow,  very nice mod. 

//slowclap
//slashies

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #3,220 of 5,248
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #3,221 of 5,248
I'm very satisfied with the project's results, it's exactly the way I wanted it to be. 

Though, I hope nobody asks me to do this for them, because it was a painfully tedious operation. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,222 of 5,248
Was going to sell my D2000s to save up for a TH900, then your pictures really got me thinking otherwise. They look good. Dang, I can never make money back on this hobby...once you go in, there's no coming out. So cCasperTFG, what paint did you use? Was it just normal flat black spray paint? What about the grit of the sandpaper? How tough was the sanding? I will do this with my D2000s when I get the chance after trying some other mods I had in mind. The only difference might be that I might sand down the adjustment rods in the headband as well to paint them also black.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,223 of 5,248
I used flat black Rustoleum. It bonds to metal really well. I don't think you will get the results you want from painting the adjustment bars. Any extra thickness added to them are just going to be scratched/pushed off going into the holes. There isn't any extra room for them to be thicker, and you would have to sand them REALLY well just to get the paint to stick, it's stainless steel. I didnt even bother taping off the little silver circle swivel parts on the headband because I knew it wouldn't stick. I just chipped it off. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #3,225 of 5,248
  I used flat black Rustoleum. It bonds to metal really well. I don't think you will get the results you want from painting the adjustment bars. Any extra thickness added to them are just going to be scratched/pushed off going into the holes. There isn't any extra room for them to be thicker, and you would have to sand them REALLY well just to get the paint to stick, it's stainless steel. I didnt even bother taping off the little silver circle swivel parts on the headband because I knew it wouldn't stick. I just chipped it off. 

Thanks for the tip. You're cans look very nice. I really want to do this. I want to paint the rods because strangely enough some of the shiny paint has scratched off and it looks kind of cheap now. I don't know if this is a common problem on the design of these types of headphones or if I just have defective headband paint. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back