Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3,061 of 5,248
yeah, i figure that wood cups is a worthy upgrade, it's more about whether lawton wooden cups or martin wooden cups are a better choice. although perhaps not many people have heard both, given it's a significant outlay either way. i haven't come across any direct head to head impressions from someone who has heard both.

you should have got mark to do one of yours, so we could compare! :)

maybe i can get one from each! aha. (don't tempt me!)

Not sure about Mark, but Martin will build the cups as deep as you want. My D2000 cups are way deeper than stock, call it about 1/2" and not only sound but look great (not that looks matter).

I doubt there is much difference in cup design inside but that's a pure guess. The belief (not sure if it's placebo or not) is the type of wood makes a difference, which is why luthiers use different woods. COCOBOLO and Bolivian Rosewood I was told are the best sounding. I am a skeptic on this.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,062 of 5,248
Not sure about Mark, but Martin will build the cups as deep as you want. My D2000 cups are way deeper than stock, call it about 1/2" and not only sound but look great (not that looks matter).

I doubt there is much difference in cup design inside but that's a pure guess. The belief (not sure if it's placebo or not) is the type of wood makes a difference, which is why luthiers use different woods. COCOBOLO and Bolivian Rosewood I was told are the best sounding. I am a skeptic on this.

It could be the enclosure volume size, varying depending on the thickness of wood. Perhaps the Cocobolo and Bolivian Rosewood have a thickness that eliminates resonating frequencies.

That, or it's hype. They look so good.

beyersmile.png

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #3,064 of 5,248
  Just wanted to get back to this.

A few weeks fast forward and now used to it's sound I have no more need for more rumble. The bass is so deep and lush. Amazing how relatively fast my opinion has changed.

YUp welcome to head fi, took about 2 months after having my dt 880 that I realzied how bad the XB 700 was :[ it's funny. When I was about to buy my DT 880, I was tempted to get an XB 1000 over teh Dt 880... I'm glad I went with the DT 880 :3

anyhoo! It's about 2 weeks till my D2k get's to me! I'm building a stand for it too :D. Take a $5 Walmart Banna Stand, adding some padding to it for well reienforcement. Going to maybe add a pattern cloth to the Padding... hoping Rubber Cement will hold the roughly 2oz of fabric together lol... not sure yet what to do with the Metal Hook that's attached to the stand... I really need to drill it into another part of the Stand... but I have 0 power tools... i might start a small hole with a nail [try not to destroy the stand] and shove it in the back.

Either way I am excited! 

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #3,065 of 5,248
  YUp welcome to head fi, took about 2 months after having my dt 880 that I realzied how bad the XB 700 was :[ it's funny. When I was about to buy my DT 880, I was tempted to get an XB 1000 over teh Dt 880... I'm glad I went with the DT 880 :3

anyhoo! It's about 2 weeks till my D2k get's to me! I'm building a stand for it too :D. Take a $5 Walmart Banna Stand, adding some padding to it for well reienforcement. Going to maybe add a pattern cloth to the Padding... hoping Rubber Cement will hold the roughly 2oz of fabric together lol... not sure yet what to do with the Metal Hook that's attached to the stand... I really need to drill it into another part of the Stand... but I have 0 power tools... i might start a small hole with a nail [try not to destroy the stand] and shove it in the back.

Either way I am excited! 

Post photos when you're done! Sounds awesome.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3,067 of 5,248
I'm also interested in seeing pics. I've wanted to make a stand for a while and just haven't gotten around to it. They normally end up laying on my desk, in my Slappa hard shell case, or over the top of one of my monitors.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #3,068 of 5,248
I'm also interested in seeing pics. I've wanted to make a stand for a while and just haven't gotten around to it. They normally end up laying on my desk, in my Slappa hard shell case, or over the top of one of my monitors.

Oh I will, give me a few days <3 I have a pic of the banna stand on my phone. I'll upload everything once It's all been modded an what not 

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,069 of 5,248
Anyone know what a good price is for a new D5000? Store near me has one left and I'm interested. Preferably in Australian dollars but obviously more users here are American and any guide is appreciated thanks!

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,070 of 5,248
Anyone know what a good price is for a new D5000? Store near me has one left and I'm interested. Preferably in Australian dollars but obviously more users here are American and any guide is appreciated thanks!

New was about USD500, now the price skyrocketed. I presume they're asking a lot more than that. In that case, you could get a TH600 from pricejapan for 843AUD.
http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_main_page.php

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,071 of 5,248

I paid a bit over $500.00 U.S. a couple years ago that wasnt the best price ever but not bad since then they were discontinued and prices went up.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,072 of 5,248

I'd probably pay whatever they were selling them for.  Not too easy to find a new pair of D5000's as they are discontinued and people still want them.  It probably wouldn't be too difficult to resell them if you didn't like them.

Sold my used pair about a year ago maybe for $450 (US).  I still see them pop up for sale on the forum here for prices in that 400-500 range, and thats used.  I imagine a new pair would be desirable and command a higher price.  Also I've seen them sell on ebay for more than they are listed here on Head-Fi typically.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #3,073 of 5,248

RRP is $600 i believe, at its lowest it was about $300. A good price would have been $450 ish but I seriously doubt you'd get this price new

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,074 of 5,248
OK thanks for the replies guys. I think I can get them down to about $700 Aus dollars as I've bought gear there before. Based on the higher prices we pay in Aus I'd guess this should feel like a $600 price for our US friends here. But yeah at that price point, maybe the Fostex TH600 would be a better idea.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #3,075 of 5,248
  OK thanks for the replies guys. I think I can get them down to about $700 Aus dollars as I've bought gear there before. Based on the higher prices we pay in Aus I'd guess this should feel like a $600 price for our US friends here. But yeah at that price point, maybe the Fostex TH600 would be a better idea.

I agree the TH 600 might be a better idea OR you can try a used one. I'm only really interested in a modded D7k now [I've got my D2k... it's still in bound but well it'll b here eventually :/]

So here's to hoping in the next year I end up with one... although I might stumble upon a TH 900 for less than the cost of the MD 7k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back