Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Sep 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #1,336 of 5,248
The E7/E9 combo is very good for this headphone.  Plenty of power, and the E7 is a great external soundcard for the price. Really, it is interesting how a good source sounds. $180 for the combo is a steal.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,337 of 5,248

Quote:
The E7/E9 combo is very good for this headphone.  Plenty of power, and the E7 is a great external soundcard for the price. Really, it is interesting how a good source sounds. $180 for the combo is a steal.

I use the E9 with my DACport LX and they do pair wonderfully with the Denon 5000. I'm finding though that the mid bass needs to still be EQ down as its a bit for my taste, but that's minor as I'm not having to add anything with EQ. I also did a mod from a fellow headfier and removed the cups and notice how much better and open these cans are. They aren't muffled like they were with the cups on. I just gotta figure out how to mod the cups without ruining them? I checked for custom cups but they go for $200.00 + (I think that's a rip in all honesty).

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #1,338 of 5,248
Thought I would add to this post...

Bought the Denon D2000 a week ago and tbh they sound stunning with trance music.... The whole frequency range is just awesome and the soundstage is great. With a few EQ adjustments they s**t on the Shure 840's I had previously from a great height lol....

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #1,339 of 5,248
Does anyone know if a Fiio e11 is enough to power up the D2000? I currently have my d2000 hook up to a 10-15 year old JVC audio receiver to power it up and it sounds great but the receiver can raise the temperature of my room quite a bit. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,340 of 5,248
I'm not sure but my UHA4 amp does a pretty good job driving my Denon 5000s.

Quote:
Does anyone know if a Fiio e11 is enough to power up the D2000? I currently have my d2000 hook up to a 10-15 year old JVC audio receiver to power it up and it sounds great but the receiver can raise the temperature of my room quite a bit. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,341 of 5,248
D2000 just arrived in mail!! Suggestion for burn in time? have been going for 30ish hours so far...

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,342 of 5,248
Just listen to them.  They're not going to magically get better from burn in.  Very subtle changes might occur, but it's nothing worth to purposefully letting them sit around and playing music constantly without you listening.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,343 of 5,248
Has anybody with a c. 10 year analytical experience of headphones and a thorough experience with all major brands and technologies critically evaluated these, esp. the Mark L mod /  LA versions?

I've looked at Tyll's comments/measurements and he clearly doesn't like them, that's for sure.

His ears are not mine, but his opinion weighs a lot for me. He's been around and I've found a decent match with his preferences and mine earlier.

Any other opinoins, other than "great, I like'em" ? :)

I*m especially interested in the D5000 with Mark L mods or the LA audio D2000 variant.

I already know the measurements and can decipher them.

Most interested in :

- potential presence region coloring
 - bass detail and level
 - upper mids fatigue / lushness
 - extensions/level/grainininess/metallic quality of the highs
 - spatial imaging : source size, fuzziness, wideness, recording space acoustics feeling

Really looking to move up from my W5000, but not sure these would be much more than a sideways move.

And no, have no audition chances at all and must order blind mail-order to Europe, which costs and arm & a leg after shipping and taxes. Unfortunately.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #1,344 of 5,248
there has already been people asking if the E7 a less powerful fiio amp/dac.

and the answer on the e7 was yes. The denon's are pretty easy to drive.

So yes.. the e11 will work fine for the denon's.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,345 of 5,248

Quote:
D2000 just arrived in mail!! Suggestion for burn in time? have been going for 30ish hours so far...

Denons take quite some time to fully settle in (400+ hours). I'd just listen to them as well if they are tolerable to you and over time you can appreciate the changes that do happen with burn in (usage). I don't follow the "oh use ping noise bit". Just play music through them. If you wanna continue to burn them in without using them I'd recommend playing them at a volume a bit over what you are comfortable with.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,346 of 5,248
This is so weird...yesterday since I didn't have access to my desktop amp I tried my new D2000 from a Cowon iaudio 7 + Nuforce Mobile
Sounded fairly good with no bloated bass. Not sure if that's enough power for them to be at their best despite the 25 ohm rating.

Today I bring them upstairs and figured I'd try them today with a docked Ipod Touch just for fun since I can use a remote. Connected it to my Micro Amp or E9 and it has kind of bloated bass, like almost too much for me to enjoy. Even tried new cables.

With the iaudio 7, DAC and two CD players (Oppo and Ps1) the bass is fine and very well controlled. Like neutral bass and a little less than the M50.

Why would the Ipod Touch seem to effect the bass so much? No EQ was on. I guess I need to just stop using the Ipod Touch for the D2000. I only use the Ipod Touch mostly for portables though, but this was just strange.

Is the D2000 + amp and Ipod Touch too bass heavy for them too? Fine with my DAC. Don't think it's just my imagination, because I was almost getting headaches from the annoying bass. Often it seems like the Ipod Touch has rather fatiguing treble with some treble happy headphones. It's less of a problem on other good sources.

BTW I did try a docked Ipod Touch + the E11, so it's not the amps.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,347 of 5,248
That's been my finding too.  The bass of the D2000 out of my iPod touch is more bloated and less impactful.  Out of the Little Dot and HRT Music Streamer, the bass of the D2000 is lesser in quantity compared to the M50, but more impactful than the M50.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,348 of 5,248

Quote:
That's been my finding too.  The bass of the D2000 out of my iPod touch is more bloated and less impactful.  Out of the Little Dot and HRT Music Streamer, the bass of the D2000 is lesser in quantity compared to the M50, but more impactful than the M50.

I guess I'll need to do more testing. Since I'm using it's LOD, it's bypassing the internal amp. Totally forgot about that part.
normal_smile%20.gif
Still wonder why it sounds so bad.

I saw a similar post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/415853/ipod-lineout-change-sound-signature

I had to resolder my Dock's connection recently so maybe that has an effect on the sound too. I'll have to try another LOD connector too. Kind of annoying because I kind of like the Ipod Touch with ALAC.

E11 sounds pretty good with the D2000 and a DAC from the laptop. Pretty interesting how all these tiny thing can alter someones impression of a headphone so easily.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,349 of 5,248
I wonder why everyone says the D2000 has recessed mids? Not hearing it really. Then there are those that think they have bloated and uncontrolled bass. Or sometimes they have harsh treble.
I imagine all these complaints are possibly more just an issue with synergy or using equipment that's not neutral sounding. Probably not but it makes me wonder. Now I think the mids are fairly relaxed and not too forward sounding, but I don't really think I could call them recessed. Remind me of the mids on the KNS-8400.
With the setup I'm using now, all the music sounds just the way it should. Seems pretty neutral or just balanced. Smooth sounding right now. Even bass heavy music
confused_face%281%29.gif
The D2000 isn't changing it much, if at all. I guess that's a good thing for me. No bloated bass right now thankfully.

Not touching the stupid Ipod Touch with these things and I guess I'll try more CD players and upgrade my DAC later. It DOES like it Nuforce Mobile DAC, but it's nothing special. I prefer CD.
Guess the Ipod Touch definitely isn't a neutral sounding source. Has anyone on head-fi picked it apart like they do with amps? I need to search into this more. I have a feeling the Ipod Touch is also making the treble on the D2000 more fatiguing than it really should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back