Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jul 31, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,761 of 5,248
Got and installed D5000 wood cups on my D2000. I used the method where you cut off the stands off the plastic frame instead of drilling into the wood. The plastic stands are cut down so that they are level with the rest of the plate. Regarding the cups, the edge where the wood and the plastic meet is actually mainly sealed except for two slots around where two screws from the gimbal? come through on each side of the metal frame. From what I understand, in terms of sound quality, the main difference is the wooden cups. The cable and other parts are a little different as well, but I don't know if they would truly make any significant difference.

The D2000 I found sounded quite bright and kind of distant/hollow and grainy, but the soundstage and overall exciting sound signature (from subbass to sparkling treble) was addicting. Listening to some concert/live recordings were quite good. Bass was not very present for me except for in the quietest of environments, so I will assume that the D2000 I have is one of the earlier ones. I really wanted to like them, but I couldn't wear them for long periods of time so they stayed on my desk for a lot of the time.

The D5000 cups add warmth, a bit of bass and authority. They sound less spacious than the D2000, but also less hollow/odd sounding. The "added warmth" part is important. They now can be relaxing to listen to. I'm not hearing the treble peak that people have mentioned about the D5000, so I will consider myself lucky.

I also have an ATH-W1000X which I haven't used much recently. Treble and mids tend seem sound a bit more crisp/metallic than the D2000 (with D5000 cups), but more easily fatiguing (in relative terms). The extra crispness can be a good and a bad thing depending on the music. Bass doesn't extend as low and is slightly less punchy. Curiously the mids sound more sucked out of the W1000X compared to the D2000 (with D5000 cups). Not sure if I'm supposed to be listening to the W1000X louder, but that can make it more fatiguing. The W1000X has a sound that seems to "take over more space" - wider soundstage?, but the D2000/5000 sounds more relaxed and natural and more spacious. The W1000X is perhaps a bit more hazy sounding sort of in the middle of the D2000 and D5000 in some ways to me, however minus the sub-bass for one. They used to be my main headphones. That was a while back, but the only thing I really missed from them at the time was a lack of the lowest sub-bass rumble which the D2000 and that Denon/Foster series of headphones have.

Anyway, I am super excited about what I've done with my D2000. They've gone from nearly unusable (to me) to definitely worth it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2,763 of 5,248
Got and installed D5000 wood cups on my D2000. I used the method where you cut off the stands off the plastic frame instead of drilling into the wood. The plastic stands are cut down so that they are level with the rest of the plate. Regarding the cups, the edge where the wood and the plastic meet is actually mainly sealed except for two slots around where two screws from the gimbal? come through on each side of the metal frame. From what I understand, in terms of sound quality, the main difference is the wooden cups. The cable and other parts are a little different as well, but I don't know if they would truly make any significant difference.

The D2000 I found sounded quite bright and kind of distant/hollow and grainy, but the soundstage and overall exciting sound signature (from subbass to sparkling treble) was addicting. Listening to some concert/live recordings were quite good. Bass was not very present for me except for in the quietest of environments, so I will assume that the D2000 I have is one of the earlier ones. I really wanted to like them, but I couldn't wear them for long periods of time so they stayed on my desk for a lot of the time.

The D5000 cups add warmth, a bit of bass and authority. They sound less spacious than the D2000, but also less hollow/odd sounding. The "added warmth" part is important. They now can be relaxing to listen to. I'm not hearing the treble peak that people have mentioned about the D5000, so I will consider myself lucky.

I also have an ATH-W1000X which I haven't used much recently. Treble and mids tend seem sound a bit more crisp/metallic than the D2000 (with D5000 cups), but more easily fatiguing (in relative terms). The extra crispness can be a good and a bad thing depending on the music. Bass doesn't extend as low and is slightly less punchy. Curiously the mids sound more sucked out of the W1000X compared to the D2000 (with D5000 cups). Not sure if I'm supposed to be listening to the W1000X louder, but that can make it more fatiguing. The W1000X has a sound that seems to "take over more space" - wider soundstage?, but the D2000/5000 sounds more relaxed and natural and more spacious. The W1000X is perhaps a bit more hazy sounding sort of in the middle of the D2000 and D5000 in some ways to me, however minus the sub-bass for one. They used to be my main headphones. That was a while back, but the only thing I really missed from them at the time was a lack of the lowest sub-bass rumble which the D2000 and that Denon/Foster series of headphones have.

Anyway, I am super excited about what I've done with my D2000. They've gone from nearly unusable (to me) to definitely worth it.

Good for you! I already love my D2000's but have a set of COCOBOLO wood cups being made for me by Martin Custom Audio just to kick it up a notch, shortening the cable as well. Should be done by second week of September.

I love the sound these Denon's have. Both these and my D7000's are my favorite headphones ever.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #2,765 of 5,248
Does anyone know where I can buy the stock Denon D5000 pads? somehow the ones on EBay don't extrude much confidence given the cheap price tag of $7.

Also is the leather on the headband replaceable?

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #2,766 of 5,248
Does anyone know where I can buy the stock Denon D5000 pads? somehow the ones on EBay don't extrude much confidence given the cheap price tag of $7.

Contact lawton audio. They usually have new stock pads for about $45 USD.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #2,767 of 5,248
Just bought the angle pads and DIY kit from them, I know that is the one place I can get the pads but right now the exchange rate is a little outside of my favour so...

Any other places you guys know about?

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,770 of 5,248
Quote:

I'm also very curious about the headband for the D2000 I just picked up. They are pretty beat up but a new head band and some new pads will do it just right. They also had a fairly strong smoke smell so hopefully I can get that to go away as well. All in all the sound is great but I hoping this project is worth what its going to cost me to repair them. If anyone knows how to replace the headband please let me know asap 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,771 of 5,248
Quote:

I'm also very curious about the headband for the D2000 I just picked up. They are pretty beat up but a new head band and some new pads will do it just right. They also had a fairly strong smoke smell so hopefully I can get that to go away as well. All in all the sound is great but I hoping this project is worth what its going to cost me to repair them. If anyone knows how to replace the headband please let me know asap 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Martin Lantinen from Martin Custom Audio has leather replacement headbands for them I believe.  www.martincustomaudio.com is his website.  

He by the way is making a set of Cocobolo wood cups for my D2000..................sending him my phones next week to swap cups and shorten the cable.  Should be a nice upgrade.
L3000.gif

What are you doing for pads?  I recommend the Alpha pads buddy.   I have a pair of J$ pads coming for one of my Beyer's as well.  Those are hard to come by now tho. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,772 of 5,248
Quote:

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I asked an authorised parts dealer for Denon and they said the fake leather headband never came as a part so no, there is no way to get a new one.
I've been looking at the beyers replacement part to see if they will fit, otherwise there are the cheap stuff on ebay where you wrap around your headband in another piece of leather

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,773 of 5,248
If anyone is interested in the stock Denon D-5000 wood cups and ear pads they are like new because i had the headphones  modded when i bought them wood cups and pads $150.00 CA + shipping price is firm pm me if interested                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2,774 of 5,248
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Martin Lantinen from Martin Custom Audio has leather replacement headbands for them I believe.  www.martincustomaudio.com is his website.  

He by the way is making a set of Cocobolo wood cups for my D2000..................sending him my phones next week to swap cups and shorten the cable.  Should be a nice upgrade.
L3000.gif

What are you doing for pads?  I recommend the Alpha pads buddy.   I have a pair of J$ pads coming for one of my Beyer's as well.  Those are hard to come by now tho. 

Thanks a lot bro I'll check them out asap!! The leather headband I have on these are all kinds of jacked up so finding replacement would be fantastic! 

Alpha Pads are what $100? Well if you ever run into an extra pair please let me know!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #2,775 of 5,248
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I asked an authorised parts dealer for Denon and they said the fake leather headband never came as a part so no, there is no way to get a new one.
I've been looking at the beyers replacement part to see if they will fit, otherwise there are the cheap stuff on ebay where you wrap around your headband in another piece of leather

Thanks also for the heads up. I searched on their site and thorough some of their partners to no avail... Stinks. 

Thank you,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back