Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,567 of 5,248

Quote:
Head-fi should start a petition drive for Denon to bring back the Fostex-made models.  Add a *touch* of mids, dial back the treble a little on the D7000 and they'd be the perfect headphone line.

Quote:
TH900 were out for quite a while and TH600 was officially announced today

Thanks, I haven't been keeping up it seems.  Just read DavidMahler's impressions of the TH900 and he's reporting even more recessed mids and still-strident treble.  Oh well.  Hopefully the TH600 will do more to remedy these shortcomings.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,568 of 5,248
Quote:
I should be getting my Mad Dogs with dog pads this week, and I will be able to audition these to see if I hear anything special with the bass. These are supposed to be relatively neutral and nobody claims the bass is boomy, bloated, or all over the place. I've always preferred a somewhat V-shaped sound signature, and maybe I just found the ideal headphones for my taste?

Ok, got my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads this evening.  These are very flat headphones from low to high.  There is some "boominess" to my D5000's, I think I get it now.  I believe it is subtle and not drastically muddy, but it's not as controlled, for lack of a better descriptor, than these Mad Dogs.  I really enjoy the D5000 at very low listening levels, as the V-shaped sound signature is well suited to quieter music playback.  Although, really cranking up the volume reveals a tad bit of harshness with the treble and the bass can overpower the rest of the frequency spectrum with some songs.  The angled, leather earpads certainly help tame the loose bass and improve the recessed mids a good bit.  I would highly recommend angled pads for anyone owning the Denon D2/5/7000 headphones.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,569 of 5,248
Quote:

Ok, got my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads this evening.  These are very flat headphones from low to high.  There is some "boominess" to my D5000's, I think I get it now.  I believe it is subtle and not drastically muddy, but it's not as controlled, for lack of a better descriptor, than these Mad Dogs.  I really enjoy the D5000 at very low listening levels, as the V-shaped sound signature is well suited to quieter music playback.  Although, really cranking up the volume reveals a tad bit of harshness with the treble and the bass can overpower the rest of the frequency spectrum with some songs.  The angled, leather earpads certainly help tame the loose bass and improve the recessed mids a good bit.  I would highly recommend angled pads for anyone owning the Denon D2/5/7000 headphones.

You really should either send them to Mark or if you have guts dampen them yourself, it really tightens up that flapping bass. I am still waiting for my angle pads, hopefully they'll ship next week.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2,570 of 5,248
Quote:
You really should either send them to Mark or if you have guts dampen them yourself, it really tightens up that flapping bass. I am still waiting for my angle pads, hopefully they'll ship next week.

After witnessing first-hand how nice a modded headphone can sound with the Mad Dogs, I'm going to take your advice and send my D5000 in to get them tuned.  Might even get the cable replaced, not for any improvement in sound, but simply because I really don't like the stock D5000 cable.

Enjoy your weekend!

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,571 of 5,248
Just for those considering. I did the dampening myself, and for anyone whose used to dealing with computers, or even cars, its a very simple procedure. The hardest part by far is dampening the front of the driver, by making holes in it, and this is just hard because its hard to get it perfect. Otherwise the rest is very easy, just takes time. The modded D5000s are a very very good headphone, compared to a great headphone stock. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #2,572 of 5,248
Quote:
Just for those considering. I did the dampening myself, and for anyone whose used to dealing with computers, or even cars, its a very simple procedure. The hardest part by far is dampening the front of the driver, by making holes in it, and this is just hard because its hard to get it perfect. Otherwise the rest is very easy, just takes time. The modded D5000s are a very very good headphone, compared to a great headphone stock. 

I, btw, skipped the "hardest part" (front of the drivers), not sure it's really that necessary.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,573 of 5,248
Yeah, I cant say the whole damping process was a massive difference overall but it was a pleasant difference. In terms of damping in front of the driver vs not, not sure id ever be able to tell one way or the other. I just know mark reccomends it for d5ks so I gave it a whirl. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2,574 of 5,248
I played it safe and will be sending my D5000 in to have the tuning done.  Also getting an 8ft. Copper One recable with a standard connector, which is nearly 3x the amount of the tuning. (sorry if that sentence contained a dangling participle)

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2,575 of 5,248
Quote:
I played it safe and will be sending my D5000 in to have the tuning done.  Also getting an 8ft. Copper One recable with a standard connector, which is nearly 3x the amount of the tuning. (sorry if that sentence contained a dangling participle)

considering the total investment and time it'll take, why not wait for some TH600 impressions?

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2,576 of 5,248
Nothing to wait for, just want to get the bass dampened a bit and I don't like the stock cable so this was an opportunity to get that done as well. If another closed headphone comes out with characteristics that I enjoy, I'm sure I will give them a try if they aren't too expensive.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,578 of 5,248
Quote:
Nothing to wait for, just want to get the bass dampened a bit and I don't like the stock cable so this was an opportunity to get that done as well. If another closed headphone comes out with characteristics that I enjoy, I'm sure I will give them a try if they aren't too expensive.

Just saying, cause it seems like modded denons aren't doing as well in the used market as stock ones, and it took nearly 3 months for me to just get my mod kit (which is perfectly acceptable, given that lawton seems to run a one-man operation). So for the price and relative improvement, I know I would've waited to check out the TH600's had I known about them before looking into modding...

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,579 of 5,248
Quote:
considering the total investment and time it'll take, why not wait for some TH600 impressions?

i had minie done last year( mod,cups,and pads  and it took 6 months hopefully its less now .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back