Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #2,551 of 5,248

2nd that.

The Bass of the d600's is pretty nice but that's about it. The looks going from the beautiful D5000's

Here's mine

To some upgraded version of the Beats or Sol, or what ever other horrible Celebrity endorsed headphone was a huge mistake on their part. Not to mention they forgot to work on the rest of the sound spectrum (Just like those other brands) so that also is a major fail on their part. Hopefully next time they'll remember what made them famous and go back to quality cans that have the total wow factor from build, looks and most importantly sound.

To be honest, I should thank them. The value of my Denons shot way up after all the bad reviews came out. Stinks because I was wanting to find a decent used pair of D2000's but now they are selling for more used than they sold for new!

Bitter sweet I guess 
bigsmile_face.gif

Just a shame you're using such a good headphone from a FiiO E11...

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,552 of 5,248
Quote:

Whoa there Cowboy, no need to get snotty

A lot of people use and love the products from Fiio, sorry if they don't meet your lofty standards...

I have the e17 now and am looking for a good desktop tube amp (Under $300). The e11 has been exactly what I needed it for but is now retired and about to be sold. I also ran them off my Macbook Pro and iPhone (I know shocking) because of the low impedance it doesn't matter, they sound great through just about anything. That's the beauty of the D5k's but thanks for pointing out the amp...

Have you ever used the e11?? It's a great little amp for the money and it did exactly what I needed it to do and now the e17 far exceeded my expectations and could go toe to toe with a lot of the big boys out there and for the money it can not be beat in terms of sound, build, and features.

But thanks tho...

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,555 of 5,248
Quote:
Are you looking for a tube amp for the D5000's?

Yes. I tried the EF2a from HIFIMAN and loved the warm tube sound but the DAC wasn't very good and it had some other issues so I sent it back. I still want a smaller Tube AMP/DAC combo for my office.

Quote:
The Denons don't need an amp at all.

Totally agree they can do without but adding one doesn't hurt. Extra icing on the cake if you will

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,556 of 5,248
Quote:

I went from an E7 to an integrated amp to an M-Stage, and each was a definite sound upgrade from the last. While it's true that you don't *need* an external amp for the headphones to *work*, I would say there are some benefits to be had from using an amp, though. That being said, I'm fond of the way my Denons sound right out of my (US) Galaxy S3.

Yes. I tried the EF2a from HIFIMAN and loved the warm tube sound but the DAC wasn't very good and it had some other issues so I sent it back. I still want a smaller Tube AMP/DAC combo for my office.

I haven't heard of too many people using a tube amp with one of the D2000/D5000/D7000 series to good effect. Some tube amps have even broken the Denons (Schiit Lyr). They seem to work much better with a low output impedance solid state.

Did you try the EF2a with the Denons, or with a different headphone?

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,557 of 5,248
Fiio are definitely good value for money but the Fiio E17 compared to my newly acquired Apex Glacier pales in comparison in terms of sound quality.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,558 of 5,248
Quote:

I went from an E7 to an integrated amp to an M-Stage, and each was a definite sound upgrade from the last. While it's true that you don't *need* an external amp for the headphones to *work*, I would say there are some benefits to be had from using an amp, though. That being said, I'm fond of the way my Denons sound right out of my (US) Galaxy S3.

I haven't heard of too many people using a tube amp with one of the D2000/D5000/D7000 series to good effect. Some tube amps have even broken the Denons (Schiit Lyr). They seem to work much better with a low output impedance solid state.

With the Denons and a couple of different Beyers. The tube amp calmed down the sparkle a little and gave it a wonderfully smooth warm tone

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,559 of 5,248

I've actually used a Little Dot I+ for a few years with my modded D2K and still think it pairs well with it. I think many people early on thought so as well. But I agree - one great thing about the Denon's is how easy they are to drive.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,560 of 5,248
Quote:

It's not always that simple. I've listened to my 5000's thru a Yulong D100 MK2, Schiit Asgard/Bifrost and FIIO E17, I actually prefer the E17 and have had others confirm the same thing. Just because it's a cheap portable amp doesn't mean jack.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,561 of 5,248
Quote:

Agreed.  I tried D5000 & D7000 with a tube amp that was even designed for low impedance headphones (Mad Ear+) and didn't like the sound at all compared to SS amps.

Holy cow, has anyone noticed how well the D2000 measure?  

Head-fi should start a petition drive for Denon to bring back the Fostex-made models.  Add a *touch* of mids, dial back the treble a little on the D7000 and they'd be the perfect headphone line.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,562 of 5,248
Quote:
It's not always that simple. I've listened to my 5000's thru a Yulong D100 MK2, Schiit Asgard/Bifrost and FIIO E17, I actually prefer the E17 and have had others confirm the same thing. Just because it's a cheap portable amp doesn't mean jack.

Exactly... The e17 D5k paring through the Optical drive on my MB Pro to the SPDIF port on the e17 is total bliss. I even use it to run my HE-400's which are a hell of a lot harder to drive than the Denons and it powers them with no problems.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2,563 of 5,248
Quote:
Whoa there Cowboy, no need to get snotty

A lot of people use and love the products from Fiio, sorry if they don't meet your lofty standards...

I have the e17 now and am looking for a good desktop tube amp (Under $300). The e11 has been exactly what I needed it for but is now retired and about to be sold. I also ran them off my Macbook Pro and iPhone (I know shocking) because of the low impedance it doesn't matter, they sound great through just about anything. That's the beauty of the D5k's but thanks for pointing out the amp...

Have you ever used the e11?? It's a great little amp for the money and it did exactly what I needed it to do and now the e17 far exceeded my expectations and could go toe to toe with a lot of the big boys out there and for the money it can not be beat in terms of sound, build, and features.

But thanks tho...

i am using a pair of LA D-5000 DENONS with a  Burson 160 ds and also a littledot mk3 tube amp with asus essence stx as dac aldough not as good as the burson but for the price its a very decent tube amp imo.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #2,564 of 5,248
Quote:
Head-fi should start a petition drive for Denon to bring back the Fostex-made models.  Add a *touch* of mids, dial back the treble a little on the D7000 and they'd be the perfect headphone line.

TH900 were out for quite a while and TH600 was officially announced today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back