Denon D2000 / D5000/ D7000 discontinued - are there even alternatives around?
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:
I guess the DT880 would be the closest to the Denon D2000.

My guess is that the only thing common between these two is that they both are headphones.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #17 of 38
A little difficult to get or demo, but look at the JVC HP-DX1000 or HP-DX700's or even the kenwood KH-K1000.  Probably the most similar in look and sound to the classic discontinued denon line.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:
Saw they were discontinued, so I started looking for an upgrade to my D2000s.  I found a pair of D7000s for...wait for it....$450 on craigslist.  

I've been pretty much freaking every minute of every day since I acquired them three days ago.  
L3000.gif

You Lucky Lucky  guy... i wish i could get some D7000 in England ...were they mint con ??  :)

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #19 of 38
You Lucky Lucky  guy... i wish i could get some D7000 in England ...were they mint con ??  :)

I feel fortunate to get them at that price. As far as I can tell they are in perfect condition. The cups haven't even a scuff on them & they sound great. The only thing I've had to do is tighten up the little screw cuz it was loose (the screws with the common issue). I actually pulled the screw out and retightened with lock-tight. Now I start my journey for the right amp . . .

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:
You can, it's just gonna cost you £600+
I was lucky to get my D5000s for £290.

Yeah think i saw them... for sale ... nice one ..... Please let me know if you see any D5000's or 7000's and keep us posted re what Amp/Dac you get ... Also are you goina use a portable one for your  ipod etc... or/and an Amp/dac for your  HIFI ???

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 38
The Ultrasone HFI-780 is a bad comparison, it's the low-bass one in that lineup. The HFI-580 is probably your best purchase, honestly - but you really owe it to yourself to check out the Mad Dog line of modified fostex. "

"The Mr Speakers directly compare with my Denon D5000.

It is a blind buy, but if you're looking for something that the Denons (2000/5000) do, but with even tighter well controlled bass, an ortho like the Mad Dog with Alpha Pads is a very good direction to go." said Malveaux to me recently in a convo via PM I totally didn't ask him to repaste here.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #23 of 38
errr. To be clear, the HFI-580 is a good bass can that isn't going to rival the sheer thrum and control possible to the D2000, The Fostex, on the other hand, are possibly even more capable at bass. :p

May 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 38
Sorry for bringing this back but... I wish they never discontinued this headphone. The newer denons aren't that good.

May 4, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #26 of 38
No, they really aren't. The D7000s are still around - they're fostex TH600s. But that's not cheap. Mad Dog 3.2's are a good alternative. Having owned a pair of m100s and senn momentums, I can say those are nice headphones around the same price, though.

May 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 38
  No, they really aren't. The D7000s are still around - they're fostex TH600s. But that's not cheap. Mad Dog 3.2's are a good alternative. Having owned a pair of m100s and senn momentums, I can say those are nice headphones around the same price, though.

D7000 is not TH600. D7000 sounds better than TH600. 

May 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #28 of 38
M100s have a lot of complaints about them. I have yet to see someone complain about the discontinued Denon series. Momentums are pretty good though. Fit is a concern.

May 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #29 of 38
the m100s are NOT I repeat NOT up to the same sound quality standards, BUT their usability is... just, amazingly nice. I realllly wish that other companies would start using the same kind of model for customer service, replacement parts, and attitude towards durability that v-moda has. 20$ replacement nylon-wrapped smartphone cable with in-line mic. 15$ replacement normal cord. Larger earpads for 20$. I lived in a pair of momentums for a couple weeks, have to say I almost (almost) didn't miss the precise fidelity and thrum I got from my th600s. the dx000/fostex thx00 line has serious durability issues, though. I hate to be such a negative nancy on that, but for constant use with anyone who even moves their body around a desk, they're problematic. Replacement smartphone cables for the DH600/7100/momentum are expensive are all almost 100$. That's a big deal to me, since those are going to be the cables facing everyday out of doors use.

soundwise? HE-400, DT-770 (if you don't mind a DISTINCTLY recessed treble - sometimes I had trouble understanding people on Skype), momentum, all nice headphones. Wish I could recommend the senn hd-ii 's more. Wasn't really a fan. Amperiors are OK. Grado sr-225's are too harsh for me.

The m-100s are kind of a muddy mess compared the orthodynamic perfection of the d2000s. sadface. Still p. good, but.... eh. stupid denon. stupid fostex. bleah. Oh well, I have my th600s and my little brother has my d2000s, finally getting beaten to death. I need to purchase another hardware set for those, completely replace the earcup connection assemblies. need recabled, too.

May 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #30 of 38
  the m100s are NOT I repeat NOT up to the same sound quality standards, BUT their usability is... just, amazingly nice. I realllly wish that other companies would start using the same kind of model for customer service, replacement parts, and attitude towards durability that v-moda has. 20$ replacement nylon-wrapped smartphone cable with in-line mic. 15$ replacement normal cord. Larger earpads for 20$. I lived in a pair of momentums for a couple weeks, have to say I almost (almost) didn't miss the precise fidelity and thrum I got from my th600s. the dx000/fostex thx00 line has serious durability issues, though. I hate to be such a negative nancy on that, but for constant use with anyone who even moves their body around a desk, they're problematic. Replacement smartphone cables for the DH600/7100/momentum are expensive are all almost 100$. That's a big deal to me, since those are going to be the cables facing everyday out of doors use.

soundwise? HE-400, DT-770 (if you don't mind a DISTINCTLY recessed treble - sometimes I had trouble understanding people on Skype), momentum, all nice headphones. Wish I could recommend the senn hd-ii 's more. Wasn't really a fan. Amperiors are OK. Grado sr-225's are too harsh for me.

The m-100s are kind of a muddy mess compared the orthodynamic perfection of the d2000s. sadface. Still p. good, but.... eh. stupid denon. stupid fostex. bleah. Oh well, I have my th600s and my little brother has my d2000s, finally getting beaten to death. I need to purchase another hardware set for those, completely replace the earcup connection assemblies. need recabled, too.

Well, I just did some good research on the Focal Spirit line.. seems like a much better choice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back