Denon AH-MM400
Dec 3, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #888 of 1,435
I've been comparing the denon mm400 vs mrspeakers mad dog vs Beyer t5p.

The denon has been my portable cans for 2 weeks now, and they are just fantastic to listen to.

I only started becoming less contented with them once I compared them to the t5p.

Denon mm400 vs mrspeakers mad dog:

- denon has better highs and sounds higher fidelity and bass separation
- mad dog has better sounds stage, and vocal mid range, but less sheen in the highs for vocals.

Denon vs Beyer t5p:
- denon has better bass
- t5p has better mids , but flatter image. Better highs, somewhat more detailed.

I'll be receiving the fostex th x00 within a few weeks, I'll post a comparison to that too.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #890 of 1,435
Looking for a good set of closed cans, and this thread caught my eye. Does anyone know if this is capable of balanced playback with the proper cabling, or does it need to be rewired? I know it accepts a TRRS cable, but that may just be for the microphone cable.

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #893 of 1,435
I believe it is wired for a balanced connection, I emailed norne audio about a custom cable a wile back and they said it was possible

Just FYI, I emailed Surfcable and they said they did not know if the MM400 was wired for balanced playback. I've also emailed Norne Audio, but no response yet. I'm not anxious to pay Norne Audio prices though.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #895 of 1,435
  There's also the oppo pm3 if balanced is a must, I auditioned  bout and ended up liking the  denons better but the oppo is a great headphone as well

Having auditioned both, which would you say has a better soundstage?  I listen to acoustic and soft-rock tracks as well as record vocals and guitar; no heavy metal, EDM.  Any recommended headphones for this under $800 with a larger soundstage?  I want the Beyer T5p's but the non-detachable cable takes it off my list.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #898 of 1,435
  If you can spend 800 then get the T1 gen 1. There is like new one now on Amazon at USD650. If you want to save 300, then get the Denon.

I decided against the T1's due to their open (semi-open) design.  If I do upgrade my open hp, I'll probably opt for the T1's or the HD 700's as I can get them for under $500 and love their immersive sound.  Thank you for the suggestion xanlamin.

After spending way too much time researching, I decided to order the Denon's from Amazon.They have a great return policy so worst case, I'll return them and begin my search again!  Once I listen to them, I'll post my findings.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #899 of 1,435
@bellavida I think the pm3 would probably be a better fit for you but try the denon, just remember they require a long burn in to sound there best don't judge them on first listen as they usually sound bass heavy and veiled. The T1's were to sibilant for me with some recordings but I am sensitive to them so take it with a grain of salt.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #900 of 1,435
@bellavida I think the pm3 would probably be a better fit for you but try the denon, just remember they require a long burn in to sound there best don't judge them on first listen as they usually sound bass heavy and veiled. The T1's were to sibilant for me with some recordings but I am sensitive to them so take it with a grain of salt.

Will definitely burn them in (after listening to them first of course; just ordered them today and am impatient already).  Just hoping they are comfortable enough as I am very picky on that factor, even more than the sound quality.  Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back