Denon AH-MM400
Dec 29, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #903 of 1,435
  Enjoy your Denon. It's a better headphone than its predecessors i.e. D7100 or D600. And it looks great as well!

I read that they are similar or better to the D600 but even better that they can rival the 7100's, that's at least a $300 difference btw those two models.
  ...and very comfortable too!

Very good to know that; they arrive tomorrow so really looking forward to testing them out!

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #905 of 1,435
Received my Denon MM400's yesterday. First impressions:

Design; Very solid construction, beautiful design. The only plastic part is the inner part of the ear cups, which is covered with metallic paint. Overall, they look more expensive than their price tag.  The wood cups are gorgeous.  They are packaged nicely and come with two copper free detachable cables, one with volume and track control.  They also include a small soft carrying pouch (would not take them in these for traveling, a hard case is necessary for this quality of headphone)

Comfort: This is the part that I really did not want to have to write about, but the biggest reason for why I won't be keeping them.  As soon as I put them on, I could already feel that the earcups were just a bit on the smaller side and over time, there is an increased clamping force from the headband that I just could not ignore.  I tried to adjust these several different ways but after some time, I had to take them over and readjust them.  These are not fit for long sessions, at least not for me.  My $45 HD 349's are so much more comfortable than these!

Sound:  On first try, there was only sound coming from the right side.  I figured it had something to do with the cable so I adjusted that, but couldn't get it to work.  Tried the other longer cable and same result.  After about 5 minutes of fiddling with it I finally had to twist the cable while in place to get it to work....but it was certainly a defect in the phone where the cable connects.  When I could finally hear out of both sides and listened to the music, I was impressed with the sound.  While it didn't blow me away, they were very pleasant to listen to and there was a nice clarity and separation.  The soundstage is definitely not very big but for a closed headphone, still decent. Unfortunately I could not keep them on my head long enough to fully appreciate and test them with different genres because they were just too uncomfortable for me.  The Sony MDR 1A's I tried have spoiled me - they definitely get the edge on comfort.

Overall, their $400 price tag is not justified in terms of comfort and sound quality.  They sound light years better than my HD 439 (obviously) but not better than the cheaper Sony MDR 1A.  The Sony's have a better soundstage yet the bass was too pronounced and punchy...but they also literally disappear on my ears - so comfortable.  The Beyer DT 770's also had better clarity than the Denon's and were more enjoyable to listen to; however they are definitely not portable which is one of the reasons I returned them.  So, needless to say, the Denon's are already back in the box and I will be shipping them back today.  My search continues!

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #906 of 1,435
  Received my Denon MM400's yesterday. First impressions:

Design; Very solid construction, beautiful design. The only plastic part is the inner part of the ear cups, which is covered with metallic paint. Overall, they look more expensive than their price tag.  The wood cups are gorgeous.  They are packaged nicely and come with two copper free detachable cables, one with volume and track control.  They also include a small soft carrying pouch (would not take them in these for traveling, a hard case is necessary for this quality of headphone)

Comfort: This is the part that I really did not want to have to write about, but the biggest reason for why I won't be keeping them.  As soon as I put them on, I could already feel that the earcups were just a bit on the smaller side and over time, there is an increased clamping force from the headband that I just could not ignore.  I tried to adjust these several different ways but after some time, I had to take them over and readjust them.  These are not fit for long sessions, at least not for me.  My $45 HD 349's are so much more comfortable than these!

Sound:  On first try, there was only sound coming from the right side.  I figured it had something to do with the cable so I adjusted that, but couldn't get it to work.  Tried the other longer cable and same result.  After about 5 minutes of fiddling with it I finally had to twist the cable while in place to get it to work....but it was certainly a defect in the phone where the cable connects.  When I could finally hear out of both sides and listened to the music, I was impressed with the sound.  While it didn't blow me away, they were very pleasant to listen to and there was a nice clarity and separation.  The soundstage is definitely not very big but for a closed headphone, still decent. Unfortunately I could not keep them on my head long enough to fully appreciate and test them with different genres because they were just too uncomfortable for me.  The Sony MDR 1A's I tried have spoiled me - they definitely get the edge on comfort.

Overall, their $400 price tag is not justified in terms of comfort and sound quality.  They sound light years better than my HD 439 (obviously) but not better than the cheaper Sony MDR 1A.  The Sony's have a better soundstage yet the bass was too pronounced and punchy...but they also literally disappear on my ears - so comfortable.  The Beyer DT 770's also had better clarity than the Denon's and were more enjoyable to listen to; however they are definitely not portable which is one of the reasons I returned them.  So, needless to say, the Denon's are already back in the box and I will be shipping them back today.  My search continues!

Out of the box, they don't sound very good. I let mine burn-in continuously for about a day and the overall sound became more refined. Everything seem to open up. Pair with a good amp and I think this is one of the best portable hp in recent times.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #907 of 1,435
So I'm new to head-fi but I've followed it over the years for researching different headphones.. now as I am a happy customer of the AH-MM400's.. I wanted to share some info about replacing the stock cable.

I sifted through some older pages referring to Audioquest Big Sur as a recommendation.. and have since bought it and listened.

What a letdown.

For a $108 cable, it does not outperform GE (General Electric)'s Ultra Pro Audio cable costing 1/10th the price. I originally bought this cable for my phone into my car but thought I'd try it with the Denon's.

It has a thicker sound than the stock cable and even made the Big Sur sound thin and bright.. though that typically means "clear".. but not in a desirable way in this instance.

I highly recommend the MobilePal 4 pole adapter for the headphone-side connection as it has no short extension cable on it like some other similar adapters.

Target is the only place I can find that sells the GE cable:

http://m.target.com/p/ge-ultra-pro-audio-3-5mm-cable-black-10517/-/A-15077075

It's worth $20 to try this combination instead of the stock cable.. and let me know what you think.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #908 of 1,435
FWIW, I had a slight defect in my first pair of AH-MM400's.. the right driver would vibrate on substantial bass passages with little else happening in the music for me to notice it.

Got a fresh pair from Amazon today and immediately heard a difference between the two pair. Not as boomy bass and clearer 4-8khz. So I assume not all headphone designs are created equal.

Other than that, I'm very satisfied with my new pair.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #909 of 1,435
After further deliberation..

I decided to get another 4 pole adapter just to see how it sounded.

I prefer this over the MobilePal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EHL7OFM/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1453537767&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cablesonline+4+pole+3.5mm&dpPl=1&dpID=31Exhpry5xL&ref=plSrch

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #911 of 1,435
As the GE is a very great alternative to the stock cable, I must say this tinned copper cable may have the edge.

It reveals more details in finer print and is a little lighter sounding overall but if it is a deal maker that it is tinned copper, think jumping from 44.1khz to 176.4khz with a cable.

$1 cheaper for 1 ft. less.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RZSOOU2/ref=sr_ph_1?qid=1453959877&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sentey+3.5mm+cable

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #912 of 1,435
The V-Moda cable from the M-100, etc fits fairly well (a bit snug but nothing crazy). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012B7SD9O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Its not the cheapest at $30, but probably worth the $

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #914 of 1,435
I'm FREAKING OUT! My AH-D2000 BROKE!! 1 fkning week after ordering some new velour pads of ebay.. THey are 6 years old now and they have broken on the hinge (Will add a picture)

Screws have fallen out at least 5 times, but luckily i always found them + the spring.. This time i was sitting in my chair, grabbed the cups and popp, right side right off again, gotten so used to it so I imidietly started looking on the floor trying to find them.. After 30min and not a single screw I was already freaking the hell out.. Then looked at the cans, and thet 3mm alu hinge/holder/connector was actualy broken straight off including the tiny screw. I'm sad, I'm MAD I have no idea what to do!

Happened Night Friday/saturday and I slept 3 hours and drove to the nearest electronic store and bought some Sony mdr-A1's (suprisingly good for 140$!) But I just can't keep those, Horrible to wear over time, feels like a toy.. And sound is far from the d2000,, Wich has developed so insanely good over... 10,000h+ of listening.

My D2000's is my first, and only hifi cans! Bought in may 2010.. Used with 3.5 jack plugged right into a macbook pro + a ipod classic 7gen for 2 years!

After 2 years, i built a new computer Got myself a Asus Xonar STX soundcard. And i almost **** myself when first turning my music on, sitting in my chair for, seriously I think 48h straight only taking a piss. Was one of the best experiences in my life, so fantastic. Actually think i got tears in my eyes some times when the cans started pulsating and vibrating on my head filling it with so much solid bass i could not believe it.. "Cuz I had no idea you needed something else than a single transistor to drive some propper headphones.... X-|

Anyway, just felt like tossing our story in there, of course they still play.. But WHERE can i find replacement parts!? Nowhere..

So I hope that all you that have experience with Denon mm400 also have some experience with the D2/5/7 and how my D2 compares to these new MM400's? maybe owned a pair to compare..? At least i hope there are som previous owners here.

I have however looked at these new MM400 since the first pictures apeared on the web last year! And was also baffled That they did not get a thread here before months after.. I had no money and I was still in love with my d2000 so i did not care to much (exept that part that always want something new) And the MM400 is still the most good looking Cans i have ever seen!!

So Please! I have decided that Mastercard will save this situation and make me feel sorry later. But will these MM400 do the job Coming from the ah-d2000's??

I did see one guy in this thread comparing the Sony A1's to the mm400 and favoring the A1's.. What was that All about?? I drown in bass on the A1's using them on gear that makes my d2's play clean.

What I am worried about: AH-MM400, Build quality - Component Build Quality + Tiny cable inside cans and that folding mechanism?? - Possible to replace earpads? I did survive almost 6 years with the stock d2's.. But It really needed a replacement.

I'm actualy most worried about that tiny headband cable Anyone had a issue with that? ++ And The Main headphone cable! SO THIN!?? How are your experience using those? Is the one with the controller thinner than the longer one without the controller?

Reason for me asking is because I have no amps or anything anymore, PC with STX is gone, No DAC and.. Just nothing.. All i have is the old crappy Ipod classic 160gb.. Only I have installed Rockbox on it and that actually improved it 500% actually making the D2's vibrate, on +Bass, impressively enough.. Not great, but good enough for the buss..

I have tried on 20+ Cans from friends and family, but nothing beating my belowed D2000's.. Im just so anxious to buy a new Pair, just need to feel secure about it lol..

I am going to most probably Buy a FiiO X5 2nd.. I just don't have it right now, and nothing to compare the D2's with the MM400's

Anyway thnx for any responce, and that my atempt to make it funny to read worked. Peace.

Edit: Can't up Pics Yet.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #915 of 1,435
I own the D7000's which sound better than the D2000's.. and the MM400's are clearly superior to those.

The stock cable is thin and the same thinness with the mic cable as well and if you did not read my previous posts about replacing the cable, scroll up on this page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back