Denon AH-MM400
Jan 31, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #916 of 1,435
  I'm FREAKING OUT! My AH-D2000 BROKE!! 1 fkning week after ordering some new velour pads of ebay.. THey are 6 years old now and they have broken on the hinge (Will add a picture)

Screws have fallen out at least 5 times, but luckily i always found them + the spring.. This time i was sitting in my chair, grabbed the cups and popp, right side right off again, gotten so used to it so I imidietly started looking on the floor trying to find them.. After 30min and not a single screw I was already freaking the hell out.. Then looked at the cans, and thet 3mm alu hinge/holder/connector was actualy broken straight off including the tiny screw. I'm sad, I'm MAD I have no idea what to do!

Happened Night Friday/saturday and I slept 3 hours and drove to the nearest electronic store and bought some Sony mdr-A1's (suprisingly good for 140$!) But I just can't keep those, Horrible to wear over time, feels like a toy.. And sound is far from the d2000,, Wich has developed so insanely good over... 10,000h+ of listening.

My D2000's is my first, and only hifi cans! Bought in may 2010.. Used with 3.5 jack plugged right into a macbook pro + a ipod classic 7gen for 2 years!

After 2 years, i built a new computer Got myself a Asus Xonar STX soundcard. And i almost **** myself when first turning my music on, sitting in my chair for, seriously I think 48h straight only taking a piss. Was one of the best experiences in my life, so fantastic. Actually think i got tears in my eyes some times when the cans started pulsating and vibrating on my head filling it with so much solid bass i could not believe it.. "Cuz I had no idea you needed something else than a single transistor to drive some propper headphones.... X-|

Anyway, just felt like tossing our story in there, of course they still play.. But WHERE can i find replacement parts!? Nowhere..

So I hope that all you that have experience with Denon mm400 also have some experience with the D2/5/7 and how my D2 compares to these new MM400's? maybe owned a pair to compare..? At least i hope there are som previous owners here.

I have however looked at these new MM400 since the first pictures apeared on the web last year! And was also baffled That they did not get a thread here before months after.. I had no money and I was still in love with my d2000 so i did not care to much (exept that part that always want something new) And the MM400 is still the most good looking Cans i have ever seen!!

So Please! I have decided that Mastercard will save this situation and make me feel sorry later. But will these MM400 do the job Coming from the ah-d2000's??

I did see one guy in this thread comparing the Sony A1's to the mm400 and favoring the A1's.. What was that All about?? I drown in bass on the A1's using them on gear that makes my d2's play clean.

What I am worried about: AH-MM400, Build quality - Component Build Quality + Tiny cable inside cans and that folding mechanism?? - Possible to replace earpads? I did survive almost 6 years with the stock d2's.. But It really needed a replacement.

I'm actualy most worried about that tiny headband cable Anyone had a issue with that? ++ And The Main headphone cable! SO THIN!?? How are your experience using those? Is the one with the controller thinner than the longer one without the controller?

Reason for me asking is because I have no amps or anything anymore, PC with STX is gone, No DAC and.. Just nothing.. All i have is the old crappy Ipod classic 160gb.. Only I have installed Rockbox on it and that actually improved it 500% actually making the D2's vibrate, on +Bass, impressively enough.. Not great, but good enough for the buss..

I have tried on 20+ Cans from friends and family, but nothing beating my belowed D2000's.. Im just so anxious to buy a new Pair, just need to feel secure about it lol..

I am going to most probably Buy a FiiO X5 2nd.. I just don't have it right now, and nothing to compare the D2's with the MM400's

Anyway thnx for any responce, and that my atempt to make it funny to read worked. Peace.

Edit: Can't up Pics Yet.

I like the MM-400s alot
  I'm FREAKING OUT! My AH-D2000 BROKE!! 1 fkning week after ordering some new velour pads of ebay.. THey are 6 years old now and they have broken on the hinge (Will add a picture)

Screws have fallen out at least 5 times, but luckily i always found them + the spring.. This time i was sitting in my chair, grabbed the cups and popp, right side right off again, gotten so used to it so I imidietly started looking on the floor trying to find them.. After 30min and not a single screw I was already freaking the hell out.. Then looked at the cans, and thet 3mm alu hinge/holder/connector was actualy broken straight off including the tiny screw. I'm sad, I'm MAD I have no idea what to do!

Happened Night Friday/saturday and I slept 3 hours and drove to the nearest electronic store and bought some Sony mdr-A1's (suprisingly good for 140$!) But I just can't keep those, Horrible to wear over time, feels like a toy.. And sound is far from the d2000,, Wich has developed so insanely good over... 10,000h+ of listening.

My D2000's is my first, and only hifi cans! Bought in may 2010.. Used with 3.5 jack plugged right into a macbook pro + a ipod classic 7gen for 2 years!

After 2 years, i built a new computer Got myself a Asus Xonar STX soundcard. And i almost **** myself when first turning my music on, sitting in my chair for, seriously I think 48h straight only taking a piss. Was one of the best experiences in my life, so fantastic. Actually think i got tears in my eyes some times when the cans started pulsating and vibrating on my head filling it with so much solid bass i could not believe it.. "Cuz I had no idea you needed something else than a single transistor to drive some propper headphones.... X-|

Anyway, just felt like tossing our story in there, of course they still play.. But WHERE can i find replacement parts!? Nowhere..

So I hope that all you that have experience with Denon mm400 also have some experience with the D2/5/7 and how my D2 compares to these new MM400's? maybe owned a pair to compare..? At least i hope there are som previous owners here.

I have however looked at these new MM400 since the first pictures apeared on the web last year! And was also baffled That they did not get a thread here before months after.. I had no money and I was still in love with my d2000 so i did not care to much (exept that part that always want something new) And the MM400 is still the most good looking Cans i have ever seen!!

So Please! I have decided that Mastercard will save this situation and make me feel sorry later. But will these MM400 do the job Coming from the ah-d2000's??

I did see one guy in this thread comparing the Sony A1's to the mm400 and favoring the A1's.. What was that All about?? I drown in bass on the A1's using them on gear that makes my d2's play clean.

What I am worried about: AH-MM400, Build quality - Component Build Quality + Tiny cable inside cans and that folding mechanism?? - Possible to replace earpads? I did survive almost 6 years with the stock d2's.. But It really needed a replacement.

I'm actualy most worried about that tiny headband cable Anyone had a issue with that? ++ And The Main headphone cable! SO THIN!?? How are your experience using those? Is the one with the controller thinner than the longer one without the controller?

Reason for me asking is because I have no amps or anything anymore, PC with STX is gone, No DAC and.. Just nothing.. All i have is the old crappy Ipod classic 160gb.. Only I have installed Rockbox on it and that actually improved it 500% actually making the D2's vibrate, on +Bass, impressively enough.. Not great, but good enough for the buss..

I have tried on 20+ Cans from friends and family, but nothing beating my belowed D2000's.. Im just so anxious to buy a new Pair, just need to feel secure about it lol..

I am going to most probably Buy a FiiO X5 2nd.. I just don't have it right now, and nothing to compare the D2's with the MM400's

Anyway thnx for any responce, and that my atempt to make it funny to read worked. Peace.

Edit: Can't up Pics Yet.

I have the Denon D5000s, (have auditioned D2ks and D7ks extensively). I also own the Fostex Massdrop X00s, D7100s, D600s and the MM-400s.

I would say that honestly your best bet is the D600s if you want to replicate your D2ks - clarity and hard, tight bass + sub bass (Vshaped sound). MM-400s are smooth (read soft on clarity in a way on treble). I like the MM-400s alot for casual listening. D600s and D7100s got a lot of slack because they were not the D5ks nor D7ks and looked abit like Beats. However, I would seriously discount the hate reviews. I would take the D7100s over the D5ks any day. I still use my D600s more than my MM-400s. D600s would be an upgrade to the D2ks potentially. Controversial statements among Fostex/Denon fanboys but I love Denon too... and just don't want you to waste your cash on MM-400s if it's the D2k sound sig you want. MM-400 will NOT fulfil your needs. The end of the story.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #918 of 1,435
  I like the MM-400s alot

I have the Denon D5000s, (have auditioned D2ks and D7ks extensively). I also own the Fostex Massdrop X00s, D7100s, D600s and the MM-400s.

I would say that honestly your best bet is the D600s if you want to replicate your D2ks - clarity and hard, tight bass + sub bass (Vshaped sound). MM-400s are smooth (read soft on clarity in a way on treble). I like the MM-400s alot for casual listening. D600s and D7100s got a lot of slack because they were not the D5ks nor D7ks and looked abit like Beats. However, I would seriously discount the hate reviews. I would take the D7100s over the D5ks any day. I still use my D600s more than my MM-400s. D600s would be an upgrade to the D2ks potentially. Controversial statements among Fostex/Denon fanboys but I love Denon too... and just don't want you to waste your cash on MM-400s if it's the D2k sound sig you want. MM-400 will NOT fulfil your needs. The end of the story.

Remeber that I wanted those Massdrop Fostex's really bad. Beautiful phones for sure.

Realized that I will probably have to adapt for some different sound. I have never owned Open headphones before so wondering a little about that.. Philips Fidelio X2 vs MM400 is that even possible to compare? :p Really hate this situation, so many choices and not possible to try them all first.. Wish I had a spare set of Phones, and this is probbably how my collection 20y from now begins lol.. I did go from my 10y Koss porta Pro to the D2's..

Hard choice indeed. Did sometimes find the ah-d2000 to be a little agressive on the high notes tho, but learned to live with it :)

And does anyone know what material that superthin-headband cable for the right can is made of? silver OFC? I was worried that it could give the Right can less sound, but that would sure be stupid of Denon, and all of you say it sounds good so not worried about that anymore, curious tho!

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #919 of 1,435
I have not compared the D600 to MM400 but many have said the MM400 is the more balanced of the two.

The cable goes into the left headphone and it's just regular OFC, no silver or tinning. There is no discrepancy between the two sides from what I could tell having now tried several sets of MM400's. I do find the stock cable to sound a little boring compared to the GE and definitely the Sentey mentioned on the last page.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #920 of 1,435
But does it sound good...

I try to stay away from mic audio cables.

Sounds fine. If there are any differences from the stock, I would say they're minimal and the v-moda is maybe a smidget warmer.
I personally bout it for aesthetics, the remote and mic are a bonus, very useful in cold weather (these are my portables). I also like how v-moda made the mic separate from the remote, makes more sense (mic is closer to the face, remote further down)

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #921 of 1,435
  I like the MM-400s alot

Remeber that I wanted those Massdrop Fostex's really bad. Beautiful phones for sure.

Realized that I will probably have to adapt for some different sound. I have never owned Open headphones before so wondering a little about that.. Philips Fidelio X2 vs MM400 is that even possible to compare? :p Really hate this situation, so many choices and not possible to try them all first.. Wish I had a spare set of Phones, and this is probbably how my collection 20y from now begins lol.. I did go from my 10y Koss porta Pro to the D2's..

Hard choice indeed. Did sometimes find the ah-d2000 to be a little agressive on the high notes tho, but learned to live with it :)

And does anyone know what material that superthin-headband cable for the right can is made of? silver OFC? I was worried that it could give the Right can less sound, but that would sure be stupid of Denon, and all of you say it sounds good so not worried about that anymore, curious tho!

They have a second drop available still...

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

A massive upgrade for you.

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #922 of 1,435

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Have seen it, and have been drooling on my screen lol.. asked about how they compare to my girlfriend, but i guess they just are better :p

Do they have the same drives as the D2/5's?

Only big problem is that I live in Norway, and with all the import charges I have calculated that they will end up costing  680$............ And that's a little out of my price range right now.

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #923 of 1,435

Yes have seen it, and man do I want it! I really wonder if they have improved on that mechanism at all (Screws and alu pieces) I do hope so.

Asked there how they compare, but i guess they sound just the same + extra i guess..

Do you know if they use the same drives/elements as the D2/5K's ?  I would guess the x00 would give the sound of a Marble hitting teak floor compared to a Marble on stone floors d2's :p

I feel like I'm watching a LavaLamp looking at those, Thick, lush, Soft, BIG earpads ahhhh..

Only problem is that I Live in Norway, And from some calculation they would end up costing 680$ after the import charges, and that's out of my price range now..

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #924 of 1,435

Yes have seen it, and man do I want it! I really wonder if they have improved on that mechanism at all (Screws and alu pieces) I do hope so.

Asked there how they compare, but i guess they sound just the same + extra i guess..

Do you know if they use the same drives/elements as the D2/5K's ?  I would guess the x00 would give the sound of a Marble hitting teak floor compared to a Marble on stone floors d2's :p

I feel like I'm watching a LavaLamp looking at those, Thick, lush, Soft, BIG earpads ahhhh..

Only problem is that I Live in Norway, And from some calculation they would end up costing 680$ after the import charges, and that's out of my price range now..

I don't know how bad is your D2000 broken down, but maybe this https://sugru.com can help to fix?
Last time my D2000 screw loosen after number of test mods that I was doing and I put some bluetac to help the screw together, not ideal but enough to fix.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #925 of 1,435
Btw I got replied from Denon Japan about the balanced connection inquiry and from the pin layout I think it is wired for balanced connection but I'm not so sure, please advice.
Here is the pin layout that I got from them:

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #927 of 1,435
Hmmm....not sure about these. Compared to the DT1350 I find the sound rather thin. The Beyers have better mids in my opinion, more forward, fuller sounding. The Denon mm400 sounds rather nasally at times. Soundstage is better with the Denons but I would not trade mids for it. Denons are going back. Shame cause they are aesthetically gorgeous and the folding mechanism is what I prefer.
confused_face.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #928 of 1,435
  Hmmm....not sure about these. Compared to the DT1350 I find the sound rather thin. The Beyers have better mids in my opinion, more forward, fuller sounding. The Denon mm400 sounds rather nasally at times. Soundstage is better with the Denons but I would not trade mids for it. Denons are going back. Shame cause they are aesthetically gorgeous and the folding mechanism is what I prefer.
confused_face.gif

They need a good bit of burn in. Takes time till the fun begins, including the upper mids. They will remain a bit recessed in that range, and the upper base range is pulled a bit. It that troubles you, this is not the set for you.

What do you mean by "fuller sound" and "nasally at times"? I lost you on that part.

Anyway. This set is all about music and musicality, not perfect balance of base, mids, and highs.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #929 of 1,435
confused_face.gif

I haven't heard DT1350. Depending on your listening habits and music genres, I agree with you that you may prefer "more forward" aggressive sound signature. But the moderate energy of attacks of the MM400 is exactly what makes them sound very musical, and it's how I like it. My Denons never sound nasal nor lacking fullness even with my dryer and neutral ODAC/O2. Any fuller sound than that will make it feel congested and lacking detail to me.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #930 of 1,435

They need a good bit of burn in. Takes time till the fun begins, including the upper mids. They will remain a bit recessed in that range, and the upper base range is pulled a bit. It that troubles you, this is not the set for you.

What do you mean by "fuller sound" and "nasally at times"? I lost you on that part.

Anyway. This set is all about music and musicality, not perfect balance of base, mids, and highs.

What I mean is, male vocals sound strained at times. Female vocals sound okay. Listening to Rap, Hip Hop, Lorde, Lana Del Rey and everything in between.

Not really a believer of "burn in" if I am honest. I'll give it a shot though.

I haven't heard DT1350. Depending on your listening habits and music genres, I agree with you that you may prefer "more forward" aggressive sound signature. But the moderate energy of attacks of the MM400 is exactly what makes them sound very musical, and it's how I like it. My Denons never sound nasal nor lacking fullness even with my dryer and neutral ODAC/O2. Any fuller sound than that will make it feel congested and lacking detail to me.

The Beyers are more congested, however fuller, forward, better mids and do not lack details thanks to tesla drivers. Also, the mid bass hits harder.

The Denons have mids a row or two back compared to the Beyers, have better soundstage, same detail, better low bass, not as much mid bass.

As frodeni states, I guess the Denon's are just not what I am looking for. How sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back