Denon AH-MM400
Mar 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #946 of 1,435
I think after a while they definitely would annoy you if you would be moving about a lot. Mine don't really clamp very tight and if I bend down to pick something up they tend to travel a bit as well.

Perhaps try the Focal Classic - this had very good clamping but felt a little too hard for my liking at the time (I did have a cold though). Sound is similar to Denon - in fact I almost wish I had kept those.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #948 of 1,435
You can also try Denon AH-MM200. They are really tiny, comfortable and very good looking headphones. Overall build quality feeling is even better than with their bigger brother mm400. And they can also be easily modified to accept almost every 3.5mm plug (you just need to cut off small piece of plastic ring). 

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #949 of 1,435
Oh, I was looking into them but I am actually pretty set on buying over-ear headphones this time around.

I have a question though: Do you consider MM400 a worthy upgrade to V-Moda M80(my current portable phones)? I would assume that they will be more open and detailed than the m80s

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #950 of 1,435
  Oh, I was looking into them but I am actually pretty set on buying over-ear headphones this time around.

I have a question though: Do you consider MM400 a worthy upgrade to V-Moda M80(my current portable phones)? I would assume that they will be more open and detailed than the m80s

I have not heard the M80s, but the MM400 sounds great to my ears. I guess it depends on how portable you need it to be. I use my MM400s as a portable around the house and sometimes at work. I don't consider them very portable for other activities. The max input of the MM400s is 1000mW and while a smartphone and other devices can power them and they sound decent, they really come alive with a good portable amp like the Cayin C5. I cannot find the specs for the power of the M80. 

Personally if I needed an upgraded portable headphone that I needed for home, work, public transportation, I would look at the Oppo PM-3. It is said to have a very similar sound to the MM400s. It also has a higher sensitivity with lower impedance per spec sheets theoretically being a little easier to drive from a smartphone or portable MP3 player. Plus they fold flat when you need to hang them around your neck. I am planning on buying the PM-3s next and keeping the Denon's as well.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #951 of 1,435
I have not heard the M80s, but the MM400 sounds great to my ears. I guess it depends on how portable you need it to be. I use my MM400s as a portable around the house and sometimes at work. I don't consider them very portable for other activities. The max input of the MM400s is 1000mW and while a smartphone and other devices can power them and they sound decent, they really come alive with a good portable amp like the Cayin C5. I cannot find the specs for the power of the M80. 

Personally if I needed an upgraded portable headphone that I needed for home, work, public transportation, I would look at the Oppo PM-3. It is said to have a very similar sound to the MM400s. It also has a higher sensitivity with lower impedance per spec sheets theoretically being a little easier to drive from a smartphone or portable MP3 player. Plus they fold flat when you need to hang them around your neck. I am planning on buying the PM-3s next and keeping the Denon's as well.

Oh, I see. I would definitely consider the oppo. I have fiio x3 so I would probably be able to power up the denon fine. But thanks for the advice guys! I will test both the oppo,denon and the focal classic

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #952 of 1,435
Let us know what you think after the test!

If you use your X3 for testing, I don't think you can get the full picture what these three headphones a capable of. I've tested the PM-3 with X1, X3 II, X5 and with a bunch of amps, and I own both MM400 and FS Classic. All three need better amping than what these players can offer to reveal their full potential.

I'm very happy with my MM400/Cayin C5 pair. I prefer my FS Classic paired with Fiio E12A. Recently, I bought the new HiFime 9018 DAC/amp, and so far I've been impressed by its sound quality for $69. I'm positive it will pair very well with PM-3, although I haven't heard the combo yet.

In regards to portability alone, I believe the PM-3 is the better option, as MM400 is rather transportable than portable, and FS Classic's clamping force is too high for long listening sessions. But in regards to SQ, MM400 have the edge for my tastes and music genres.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #953 of 1,435
  Let us know what you think after the test!

If you use your X3 for testing, I don't think you can get the full picture what these three headphones a capable of. I've tested the PM-3 with X1, X3 II, X5 and with a bunch of amps, and I own both MM400 and FS Classic. All three need better amping than what these players can offer to reveal their full potential.

I'm very happy with my MM400/Cayin C5 pair. I prefer my FS Classic paired with Fiio E12A. Recently, I bought the new HiFime 9018 DAC/amp, and so far I've been impressed by its sound quality for $69. I'm positive it will pair very well with PM-3, although I haven't heard the combo yet.

In regards to portability alone, I believe the PM-3 is the better option, as MM400 is rather transportable than portable, and FS Classic's clamping force is too high for long listening sessions. But in regards to SQ, MM400 have the edge for my tastes and music genres.

Hey,
I wasn't able to test all three of them, but I managed to check the MM400 and the Focal Classic. They both sounded great in my ears, but the MM400 were the winner for me. Their sound is pretty hard for me to explain. I just coudn't find any major deficiencies. I have tested them with several different genres and they sounded awesome with all of them. They are involving, sound very natural, have good separation, great soundstage etc. Plus, they were really comfortable. I had to re-adjust them when I did several quick movements with my head, though. It's not so bad, but still. My other gripe is that from what I have read so far most 3.5mm audio cables wont fit. Laaaame.

The Focals were pretty good too, mostly flat. The mids sounded a bit "dull" for me? My main gripe with them was that they were really tight ( the employee told me that they get more comfortable after a week or two of regular use).

The audio center I visited didn't have the Oppos. I probably won't buy them though since in my country they are about 40% more expensive than the MM400s. Even in amazon.co.uk  the price difference is about the same.

So, I will most likely buy the MM400 when I get my paycheck next month. After that, I will follow your advice and buy Cayin C5 or some other decent amp, since there really was a difference when I plugged them in with only my Fiio X3 (maybe a placebo? Dunno since I am an amateur)
Well, that's it from me. I am aware that this comparison/review was a bit sloppy. Sorry for that. Thanks for your recommendation for amp. Will keep that in mind. BB money in my wallet ;(

PS: Do you think that the M400 will age well? Will they still look good in 2 years or so?

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #954 of 1,435
Hello there,

I've the mm400.

I'm curious as to how I can purchase this unique cable.

I'm looking for aftermarket cable which manufacture high quality 3.5mm 4-3 Pole Male To Male cable.

As that's how the stock denon cable is manufactured, it's hard to find!

So anyone know where I can purchase it from?

My local authorised service centre that repair Denon gears do not sell any replacement cable for this Denon model.

Thank you.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #955 of 1,435
Hey,
I wasn't able to test all three of them, but I managed to check the MM400 and the Focal Classic. They both sounded great in my ears, but the MM400 were the winner for me. Their sound is pretty hard for me to explain. I just coudn't find any major deficiencies. I have tested them with several different genres and they sounded awesome with all of them. They are involving, sound very natural, have good separation, great soundstage etc. Plus, they were really comfortable. I had to re-adjust them when I did several quick movements with my head, though. It's not so bad, but still. My other gripe is that from what I have read so far most 3.5mm audio cables wont fit. Laaaame.

The Focals were pretty good too, mostly flat. The mids sounded a bit "dull" for me? My main gripe with them was that they were really tight ( the employee told me that they get more comfortable after a week or two of regular use).

The audio center I visited didn't have the Oppos. I probably won't buy them though since in my country they are about 40% more expensive than the MM400s. Even in amazon.co.uk  the price difference is about the same.

So, I will most likely buy the MM400 when I get my paycheck next month. After that, I will follow your advice and buy Cayin C5 or some other decent amp, since there really was a difference when I plugged them in with only my Fiio X3 (maybe a placebo? Dunno since I am an amateur)
Well, that's it from me. I am aware that this comparison/review was a bit sloppy. Sorry for that. Thanks for your recommendation for amp. Will keep that in mind. BB money in my wallet ;(

PS: Do you think that the M400 will age well? Will they still look good in 2 years or so?

I've tried the Oppo PM 3:

1) Weight is Heavy on my head
2) Can bassy for me

However, that is me and my taste. I do know many people like the Oppo PM 3 very much and love the sound signature.

I fell for Denon mm400 after A/B comparison and a week of pondering and finally A/B comparison again before deciding on mm 400.

I also tested together with Sennheiser over ear Momentum 2:
1) Too Bassy, more Bassy than PM 3.

This is my view and opinion.

Thank you.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #956 of 1,435
Finally got balanced cable from Pono to AH MM400, I notice improvement on the soundstage and tighten the bass.

@djenkov Mine already about one year old and it got blackish on the wood cup. Probably should properly take care the wood cup since the beginning (for the look). 
But even though it doesn't looks tough, imho it is built for last. I usually throw this (in its pouch) to my backpack almost everyday and have no issue at all.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #957 of 1,435
Does any1 know how these cans compare to the Meze 99 Classic?

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #958 of 1,435

138 hours into burn-in on my Fiio X7 AM2 with v-moda cable using Isotek System Enhancer in WAV format at 50% volume.

Sounds I've not heard before are all coming out and clearer. For minute details, I can even tell what kind of instrument is that!

Beautiful combination I can not explain the beauty of this pair.

I listen to mainly acoustic, edm (Yes it's wow listening from these headphones). Also the AM2 is a tad warm compared to the AM1.

It wasn't all that nice when listening to EDM with the AM1 but vocals shine and clarity is almost amazing with acoustics and classical genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back