Denon AH-MM400
Apr 23, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #977 of 1,435
I know that these denons and the pm3 are both highly rated, and on average seem to do very well against other phones. But the 2nd gen beoplay h6 also seem to hold their own in a review or two. Anyone heard the 2nd gen and can compare to the denon? I wear glasses so comfort with glasses are important. And b&o have them at 299 now. Thanks

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #978 of 1,435
Hi there !
I have been reading this thread for a while now, and I wanted to thank you all, because it helped me to make up my mind one year ago and buy the MM400s :)
First of all, I just wanted to say that these cans DO sound fantastic, and I can guarantee that they are worth the money !

I had the opportunity to compare them to their main competitors : the B&W P7, the Oppo PM-3, and the Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear). To my mind, they were the ones that sounded the best, followed very closely by the PM3, which are excellent headphones too. These are two very natural sounding pair of headphones. Nevertheless, I felt like the MM400s were a bit more extended than the PM3s, and I prefered their more intimate soundstage.
If someone needs a comparison between the MM400s and  the V-Moda XS/M80s, I could probably help because they were my previous cans, but as English isn't my main language, I'm afraid of not being able to explain the sound difference in a very detailled manner.

As many of you did, I also wanted to state that these headphones really OPEN-UP and gain a lot from being burned-in ! I was extremely disappointed when I took them out of the box and listened to them for the first time, but now I'm extremely happy with them and it's not because I became accustomed to their sound at all ! I remember that the sound was very harsh, completely deprived of bass, and I that couldn't listen to them for more than 10 minutes without hurting my ears. I downloaded pink/white noise and let them burn-in for several days and the sound really flattened ! After that, the sound kept getting better as time passed. I remember though that there was a period during which the highs were veiled, but it was nothing that the equalizer of my DX50 couldn't fix :wink:

May 8, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #979 of 1,435
While my baby is still burning in (and I'll talk about it later), I'm doing a serious quest for a DAP to pair it.

First I thought about Fiio X5ii, but the Onkyo DP-X1 topic got my attention. The only problem is the damn recessed hole, for that I think would be almost impossible to find a cable with 2,5 TRRS plug to a 3,5 mm TRRS (and recessed) plug to the HP, in order to get balanced conection. Of course I want to take the DP-X1 full potential.  

The Denon support is also very weak. Can't even find an e-mail to ask at least the TRRS of MM400 diagram, or where I can find cable parts/replacement etc.

May 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #982 of 1,435
Nice, thanks for the tip! How about the recess connector, had you any issue? And most important question is: how these sound with DP-X1? It's really worth to get an expensive balanced cable?

May 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #983 of 1,435
I have no recessed problem and as sound is very subjective I can only say that balanced is far more efficient. If you make the cable your self you can probably make one relatively cheap, maybe 40-50 depending on the cable you get

May 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #985 of 1,435
They have to custom make one for you, it would all depend on what type of cable you want. You just have to show them the connection diagram from the headphone side and tell them to use the balanced plug they have for a oppo pm3, the plug fits tight but it fits. And be warned the cable is not going to be cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back