Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #3,737 of 4,391
I recently got some 9200s, before that I tried the xc 2021, kennerton magni v3, msr7bs and demo'd a whole lot more. I would say if you are after some enjoyable headphones which just make you smile and not worry about all the other bits of the chain then go for it.. I miss my xc's but I always felt I was missing something with them while with the 9200 I can't fault them (Apart from how the stupid headband looks on my bald head). So in short... yes still relevant I'm 2023

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #3,738 of 4,391
Anyone using some Chord Hugo 2 here?
How is the synergy with the 9200?
Will bass thump suffer as it's told to be tuned more on the leaner side in that regards?

I have been using that. Good synergy, no problems there IMHO. I would not say it was lean.

The D9200 bass (and mids too) are held back by the ear pads far more than any amp or cable could compensate. After trying dozens of pads, a few of them worked well, like the modded Stax 009, 007, the Chinese pads linked earlier, and the modded Denon pads, all of them used without the plastic mounting rings. The modded Denons likely make most sense.

So, try the following and stop where you want:
1. Take out the plastic rings, use the original pads directly on the housing, eventually attached with (not too strong) double sides adhesive patches.Don't obstruct any orifices on the housing.
You can also rotate the pads 180 degrees, so the thick part is in front, makes it a bit more open, but ultimately I prefer it the normal way.
2. Get replacement pads for D5200/D7200/D9200 via your Denon dealer, doesn't really matter which. Basically do the mods described here. We want to get out the foam insert, and trim 20-30% of its mass:
- measure the foam on a precise scale (I used an Acaia Lunar coffee scale, but also a cheap good espresso scale can do it) - calculate ~25-30% less (where you want to stop). Where to cut that mass off:
- trim around the outer upper edge, i.e. cut off the edge in 45 degrees
- trim around the inner upper edge
- take off a little (~20%) from the height in the back, and about 10% in the front.
- trim around the outer lower edge
- for the remaining, trim from the inner side at least in the front and back, making the inner diameter of the foam insert slightly larger.
- sew back the leather flap, you can omit the dust protector canvas, it doesn't make it brighter, just more clear
- attach the pads directly on the housing.
The end result is softer pads, with better comfort, bass, mids, clarity, inner musical details, and a tone that's just beautiful.
Pictured the modded D7200 pads on my D7200. Same story on the D9200.

lv8dgJKGlSy_CARLkzmQvK5NiqFTNqBxggXE82OZP_PwFB9PJ91BU6uzmVl5sCtGB5fG6Fv-XK8mY9c5u7DbuW3gL7GGaBKSxPfCpQEuWXYfNbEkZhOeV-f0uzM3FdwM1rEX6S5O1XlUVVHBD62IT9VWdDv9B9Bn6D5rPmSvs4EEeqzECH6ck9rqTVzAkjaxxnGYxL_-eX7_K0VGZ00mFpHNwI1XnY2pe-KhuXBg3y-gLxJeZlCMirfdnbrZ6AscvYdobmL1uN9hxx1aGNhBKZkSe6dGgqylrGupFvhp9K_mxGO-sioziD3IKtdi7SUucoNNYe4YimhjxnlXavDPClMP9nE1uoP7ij901gR3OiH3IwSWHgQBtP5fSIxiapdH09EJ2okLNyVLwFpCHhzJ0hZzjE68RxzOGgURgyD6AK3CrtJPt0318CG6Yx_AIUBseTocR-IHGw2Lqm5dN8aT8_qs6jUcV5ioTl9fx0RzP6mebqrU7UyZj4pZfOJMp1BqQ-ZBDPDLBv4NMKQt_pY5CtCzE7sal8Baey1LiGvg_pqIfURoaLzd96bgdkGvrcbL6JaqRKrVR_5fgo23C8DKZzZIzRdFjQ1jdAcTqOLCjyfXr9o0ppQHETW5S67hZM0xFVqZ3QsaABdgwHgzKgBlbuM7cHPtMboi5ngAjwHNquGsUGzUgPPbrgN5SrwEUKK8BSj2xHkezPOvXx-Xn2b4YogpPdRaMCHh75cE0b55hkM93HxBEMQoCVBUBpGTRpsjzwn9NdTMeWKdUdTmu4QMpUBFavhnJxHeN6-335iF8q_BQdgWNB8Kz9vsct5UzMyhghjBHNkhI2RSyPFt6NDzHHngZwDuwr_uAcEy-qfCiVMqMvDozcsBwAXy6LSSz3A24IhawtQMnDNdZK3-8DWzM5_E6OIJn617PdjYWk4BB6Avu1sgfA=w1307-h980-no

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #3,740 of 4,391
I use the Cayin N6ii with R01 dac/amp (R2R) with my Denon AH-D9200. That combination is the best one I’ve ever had with it. I’ve tried other R2R with the RU6 and Hiby RS6 with no such synergy.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #3,741 of 4,391
On the verge of getting the 9200. Pairing possibly with Luxury Precision W2 or Questyle M15. Still worth it in 2023? Any good alternatives?
I honestly think it is a fantastic headphone. I listen to mine every night laying in bed with my Tazzy with my wife right next to me and she doesn't hear anything. Great bass thump, very well rounded, and very enjoyable with any style of music. I had the VC and the Z1R and I prefer the Denon.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #3,742 of 4,391
I had the VC and the Z1R and I prefer the Denon.
Same!
If you like Hifiman's slightly more brighter sound signature the Denon is really good, it has top dynamics (punch and slam), a slight bass elevation (slightly V-shaped but not of the cost of midrange) and high resolution.
Highly recommended.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #3,743 of 4,391
Thank you guys for steering me on an amp, I have overspent (don’t we always!) on my speaker set up, so preference would be to get a straight amplifier for circa £1k.

Class A or A/B has been my reason for using vintage amps to now. Amazing results with a Marantz SC-6 Esotec pre, and Denon PMA-850.

The Ferrum seems endgame, but as I’ll only use the Denon’s seems overkill, perhaps.

I can get a Violectric V200 for a good price used, which spec wise would seem a good bet. Comments seem to lean towards it being warm, so may give it a try.

Others being considered:

- SPL Phonitor (too sterile?)
- Moon 430HD (DAC/pre not needed)
- SparkoS Labs Aries Base
- Ifi ICan Sig (appeals due to bass control and other options to alter sound)
- Naim DAC V1
Rest of my system for context:

TT - Rega RP6/Shelter 501/Valab LCR
Digital - Auralic Aries G1
DAC - Aqua La Scala
Pre/power - Dynavector L300/HX 1.2mk2
Speakers - Shahinian Arc
I’m also using Dynavector/Shahinian and have a suggestion that you might not have considered.
For many years I had an L300/HX100 with Obelisk 2 speakers, but I recently bought a standalone phono stage (EAR 88PB to go with my EAR HP4) and then tried a Benchmark LA4 preamp in place of the L300. I have to say that the LA4 blows the L300 out of the water and works well with the DV power amp.
How about trying the Benchmark HPA4 (basically an LA4 with a headphone amp built in)? I think you can try one at home for 30 days to see whether it works for you.
You can probably cover most of the cost of the HPA4 by selling the L300. You will,
of course, also need to buy a phono stage but the DV P75 is not too expensive (especially if you can find one used).
Just a thought…
Oh, BTW, in case anybody was wondering, the D9200s sound *great* on the end of an EAR HP4 😎
(Far better than the TH900Mk2 that I was using previously, which sound claustrophobic & veiled with overblown bass by comparison)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #3,744 of 4,391
I’m also using Dynavector/Shahinian and have a suggestion that you might not have considered.
For many years I had an L300/HX100 with Obelisk 2 speakers, but I recently bought a standalone phono stage (EAR 88PB to go with my EAR HP4) and then tried a Benchmark LA4 preamp in place of the L300. I have to say that the LA4 blows the L300 out of the water and works well with the DV power amp.
How about trying the Benchmark HPA4 (basically an LA4 with a headphone amp built in)? I think you can try one at home for 30 days to see whether it works for you.
You can probably cover most of the cost of the HPA4 by selling the L300. You will,
of course, also need to buy a phono stage but the DV P75 is not too expensive (especially if you can find one used).
Just a thought…
Oh, BTW, in case anybody was wondering, the D9200s sound *great* on the end of an EAR HP4 😎
(Far better than the TH900Mk2 that I was using previously, which sound claustrophobic & veiled with overblown bass by comparison)
Great to hear from someone with a similar system. This is something I have been considering, as I have found a used HP4 for sale, and sourcing/servicing Dynavector is becoming increasingly difficult. In fact, I am using an L100 whilst my L300 mk1 is being repaired, and the opportunity to buy an L300 mk2 seems to have fallen through.

In what way would you say the LA4 outperforms the L300? It would be a massive advantage to combine HP and pre, as I have a decent standalone phono stage (Valab LCR).

I can imagine the HP4 would pair well with the 9200, bags of power and clarity. I have a valve DAC to sweeten things a little, Aqua La Scala, so may be a good balance.

I would really appreciate further experience regarding your system, will PM to avoid derailing the thread if that’s ok.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #3,745 of 4,391
Great to hear from someone with a similar system. This is something I have been considering, as I have found a used HP4 for sale, and sourcing/servicing Dynavector is becoming increasingly difficult. In fact, I am using an L100 whilst my L300 mk1 is being repaired, and the opportunity to buy an L300 mk2 seems to have fallen through.

In what way would you say the LA4 outperforms the L300? It would be a massive advantage to combine HP and pre, as I have a decent standalone phono stage (Valab LCR).

I can imagine the HP4 would pair well with the 9200, bags of power and clarity. I have a valve DAC to sweeten things a little, Aqua La Scala, so may be a good balance.

I would really appreciate further experience regarding your system, will PM to avoid derailing the thread if that’s ok.
Sure, PM me to continue the discussion offline 👍🏻

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #3,746 of 4,391
Any Chord Mojo 2 users here owing the Denon AH-D9200?
Got it today and while I am impressed about built quality and the detail it provides I need to decrease mids (only 3khz is possible in the 4 band equalizer) by at least 5db to not get into listening fatigue with songs like Rockferry by Duffy.
No such issues on my big setup and not even on my small Qudelix 5k 🙄

Edit:
Have been experimenting more.
DLNA playback seems to be a bit smoother than straight Roon through Mconnect, Audirvana.
Have now adjusted Roon with a slight upsampling max 192khz and volume auto leveling and I find it now very precise, live like and vibrant.
That's neither the typical laid back AKM sound nor the super correct ESS wall of sound and also not the engaging punchy Ifi Diablo signature I ve been listening lately with demo gear below 1k bucks but something entirely else - it's my first Chord...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back