Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,706 of 4,398
Speaking of pads, which pads are people using for replacements and rolling? I wish I could find a round opening pad that doesn't affect the stock tuning too much.

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #3,707 of 4,398
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,708 of 4,398
Speaking of pads, which pads are people using for replacements and rolling? I wish I could find a round opening pad that doesn't affect the stock tuning too much.
I still consider them bright, visible on measurements, too, and compared to other headphones.
But the D9200 treble depends also on the earpads (everything else, too, but treble is a bitch and not all pads will affect the treble).
For instance, these (the leather version, not the protein ones) are very good earpads to start with, even in stock form.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000908305455.html

ali-pads1.jpg
ali-pads-foam1.jpg

In addition, if you dare to mod them, they become quite stunning, much better than the original pads, and far cheaper. Kind of different take than the Stax 007 or 009 pads (which are still better), but with these Chinese pads the treble is less of a problem. The mod is the same as with nearly all other pads: trimming the internal foam, all 4 circular edges (so it becomes more of a toroidal form) and some of the height in the back, about 20-25% of the mass. Resewing is not strictly needed, as the leather folds over the foam completely. Attach to the frame with double sided adhesive patches, not with the plastic mounting rings. Worth a try.
I recently ordered a set of these, recommended by @zolkis . They seem to have a round opening, like Fostex. When I owned Fostex I didn’t try the pads on the Denons because iirc the mounting skirt would have needed trimming.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,709 of 4,398
Are you sure you are not mixing this up with the other Dx200 headphones? Doesn't seem to be a 'often talked about' problem on the D9200 afaik. Pads seem to be a problem for more people.
Nope, not mixing this up. This thread alone makes numerous mention of the headband discomfort, for some.

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #3,710 of 4,398
Nope, not mixing this up. This thread alone makes numerous mention of the headband discomfort, for some.
Comfort is always such a personal thing… and I don’t think that the D9200 has a real design flaw in that regard, so it’s within variations between different people I’d say. Personally I have zero problems and the D9200 has to me better comfort than the D7200 or the TH900, which has a similar frame yet completely different headband padding.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #3,711 of 4,398
Comfort is always such a personal thing… and I don’t think that the D9200 has a real design flaw in that regard, so it’s within variations between different people I’d say. Personally I have zero problems and the D9200 has to me better comfort than the D7200 or the TH900, which has a similar frame yet completely different headband padding.
You are right, one persons comfort is another persons malaise, but the complaints concerning the D9200 headband at least seem to be a lot less common than in regards to the other two models.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3,712 of 4,398
I have paired my Denon D9200 with a Hifiman EF400 DAC/AMP which is connected with a Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable to my PC. So far I am very pleased with the result. I am considering getting myself an XLR 4-pin balanced cable for the headphones. Do you think that this will improve anything or is it just a waste of money?
Hi
Do you still own that amp?
I was wondering getting it as a bedside rig instead of Topping DX5 and am wondering about your experiences especially with the Denon AH-D9200.
Does it sound musical or harsh?
Volume range ok or hardly usable due to the power of the EF400 but can depend on the low gain implementation.
Have you tried some balanced cable meanwhile?
Thx!

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #3,713 of 4,398
Hi
Do you still own that amp?
I was wondering getting it as a bedside rig instead of Topping DX5 and am wondering about your experiences especially with the Denon AH-D9200.
Does it sound musical or harsh?
Volume range ok or hardly usable due to the power of the EF400 but can depend on the low gain implementation.
Have you tried some balanced cable meanwhile?
Thx!

Yes, I do. I really like the synergy between both. With my previous AMP (Audio-GD) the D9200 sounded a little bit harsher, but the EF400 made it much better.

Yes, I have switched to a balanced cable from Beyerdynamic. However, I could not tell you if there is any difference between the stock and the balanced cable, because I did not do a longer A/B-comparison. I kept it, because it is more robust and it did not worsen anything.

Overall, I really like this setup.

I also tried the ear pads from Aliexpress which were recommended here. Unfortunately they do not isolate the sound as well as the stock pads. Meaning: Others in the room can also listen to what you are listening. This is a no-go for me.

Dec 26, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #3,714 of 4,398
Yes, I do. I really like the synergy between both. With my previous AMP (Audio-GD) the D9200 sounded a little bit harsher, but the EF400 made it much better.

Yes, I have switched to a balanced cable from Beyerdynamic. However, I could not tell you if there is any difference between the stock and the balanced cable, because I did not do a longer A/B-comparison. I kept it, because it is more robust and it did not worsen anything.

Overall, I really like this setup.

I also tried the ear pads from Aliexpress which were recommended here. Unfortunately they do not isolate the sound as well as the stock pads. Meaning: Others in the room can also listen to what you are listening. This is a no-go for me.
Thx mate, very helpful!
Getting mine through Amazon on Wednesday.
Will report back

Dec 26, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,716 of 4,398
Immediately after buying the 9200, I replaced the stock cable with a custom balanced 4.4 pentacon. I also use it with the EF 400, and I can say that the balanced output on it sounds better than the SE
Where are you on the volume wheel in balanced mode?
No issues with channel imbalance and too much sensivity?
Am asking as this was the reason for me returning Ifi Diablo which also has lots of power and an analogue (and not digital) potentiometer

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #3,718 of 4,398
I am at 9 o'clock with the volume knob. If I want to hear louder then I go between 09 and 11 o'clock. This is all on "High Gain OS". No issues here.
Very helpful, thx
So you think high gain sounds better than low gain?
How bad have you perceived the reported static noise issues?
Is it true that these never appear in OS mode?

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #3,719 of 4,398
Very helpful, thx
So you think high gain sounds better than low gain?
How bad have you perceived the reported static noise issues?
Is it true that these never appear in OS mode?
I like it more on high gain, but there is not much of a difference qualitywise.

I do not perceive any static noise at all, but I only use High Gain OS.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #3,720 of 4,398
Regarding the oft talked about headband discomfort. I wonder if a headband protector would work?, like the one I have on my Oppo PM2 (see pics)
It does help! Made it much better for me.

I love D9200 a lot

Have been using it with Shanling M6 Pro where it seemed to be a bit too bright on some songs
Recently bought Fiio K7 and it pairs so nicely, the treble area is smoother to my ears and the low-end more engaging.

When I wanna go full party mode I pair it with go Blu x-bass or Q5K... It takes EQ like a champ and is so easy to drive 🚀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back