Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #2,567 of 4,391
Just saw the comment of this headphone here
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/
"Generally weird and wonky tuning that can also get rather harsh at times."

What's your comment as D9200 owner?
I'd recommend to listen for yourself... while I appreciate how much time Crinacle invests in taking a look at so many headphones and in-ears, I know that my taste differs substantially from his. To me the D9200 sounds neither weird nor wonky, and also not harsh. But everyone has a different taste and different expectations, so its not easy to interpret others descriptions of tuning.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #2,568 of 4,391
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,569 of 4,391
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,570 of 4,391

With all due respect to Crinacle but as a Denon AH-D9200 owner, when paired with a good setup, it's one of the best closed headphones ever.

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #2,571 of 4,391

I could see some finding it slightly bright at times maybe? Even that is a stretch. Weird and wonky sounding? Could not disagree more, but he is entitled to his opinion - I just hope people do take it as gospel.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #2,573 of 4,391

I cut at 5400Hz to take care of a bit of brightness to my ears, boost a little at 2150Hz to bring vocals forward a touch and take a scoop out in the mid bass centered around 160Hz for clearer bass punch. No different to any other headphone I own - I EQ all of them and have yet to find one that I didn't want to futz with :darthsmile:

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,574 of 4,391

Personal opinion combined with hypothesis:
These people never heard the 9200, only the 7200. Same exact review, word by word,
It's not the first time it has happened.

As an owner, there is definitely nothing harsh or wonky (whatever they mean by that) about these headphones.
Lush, elegant, slightly open... as someone said before, paired with good gear, and also a good cable (a must) these headphones are about the best closed back sound you can get, at a fraction of other names.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,575 of 4,391
Seems like your 2 favorite headphones of the bunch of the lcdx 2021 and the d9200
Sorry for the late reply. I've been a little tormented by the LCD-X as it is a good headphone - if you take the time to EQ it. Without EQ it's just lifeless. Recently I've been listening almost exclusively to the LCD-X and ERA-1s to give them and my brain a little time to burn in. I find that they both need eq, and the eq is quite similar for both of them. Where they differ is that the ERA-1s have better bass punch, while the Xs have better treble extension and sound cleaner. Although the ERA-1s have better bass punch, it comes at the cost of a slightly metallic boxy resonance.
Today I got to listen to a few headphones, including the Focal Utopia, and I felt that it would be the best open back complement to the D9200 that I've heard so far. I auditioned the Utopia not long after it came out and thought it was good then, but I appreciated it much more now that I own the Denons. They're the only things I've heard which can really stand shoulder to shoulder with the Denons. All the other open backs I've owned and tried may have had the benefit of sounding more open (not by much in some cases), but haven't had the resolution to match, and many have needed a lot of EQ.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,576 of 4,391

That depends on your reference. Compared to dynamic, most planar and especially closed headphones, the D9200 is more on the smooth and natural end of the spectrum.

However, when I compare it with top e-stats, they are even more fluid, smooth and natural, so in comparison the D9200 does feel a bit more harsh -- but remember that e-stats come with their energizer and there are a lot of good & smooth amps that can enable the D9200 sing smooth and natural. So I would not draw a general conclusion about this.

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #2,578 of 4,391
D9200 and Arctic Cables Magnus
20210627_094802.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,579 of 4,391
I've had these a couple of days now (finding a pair in stock was not easy!) and although I've not had a massive amount of time with them yet I'm liking them a lot so far.

Comfort is okay, not the best with the HD800 being the best I've owned but also not the worst with the LCD2 being the most uncomfortable for me. These rank somewhere in the middle, they are also not as comfortable as the TH900 as I'm quite sensitive to headband pressure on the top of the head which these do have a slight issue with. Luckily they are not too heavy so they are still bearable for extended periods and you can mitigate this somewhat by extending the headband so the fit is quite loose, although this does come with its own issues.

Like many people have said there isn't a lot the D9200 does wrong and they are very good all rounders. I don't really understand how people find these to be a bright headphone though, I could understand it with the TH900 as that was unnaturally bright but the highs on the D9200 are not harsh at all to my ears and much smoother than the TH900. With some tracks and at very high volumes they can sound sibilant but that is to be expected from most headphones to be honest and isn't cause to class them as bright IMO. But then I am someone who liked the TH900 and its sibilance never really bothered me so maybe I'm not as sensitive to it as some people.

Soundstage and imaging are good but soundstage is not quite as large as the TH900 from what I remember (no longer have it to directly compare). Bass quality is really good but they don't have the impact or extension of the TH900 (that much I do remember), I think if the D9200 had the sub bass rumble of the TH900 it would be my perfect headphone and I would have no need for anything else. But there is no such thing as a perfect headphone so I think this is as close as I will get for now!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,580 of 4,391
Hi chaps
Heads up
I have my new R2R DAC Pontus II running through A90 for several days now and can recognize a very natural and revealing tonality, wide stage, no too warm coloring as my Shanling M8 is providing but massively more detail and endless layering as of the likes of DX220 Max but without its striking reveiling upper mids and harshness at times.
So in that regards I am happy.
I am also running my Trailliis through that setup and it is working and sounding good whereas I feel like Denons are sounding better through that setup.
I was informed that no other amp can drive Trailliis as good as Shanling C9 but that desktop amps can outperform C9 for the likes of Denon AH-D9200.
Anyone here owning both Traillii and Denon AH-D9200 and can tell me their jack-of-all trades amping beyond DAP output?
Thx!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back