Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,583 of 4,398
Really? Give us some examples and why do you think so.
I've only had half an hour with these, but I was utterly unimpressed. They sound decently spacious for closed-backs with a surprising amount of stage height. Bass was shockingly average and had a tendency of becoming a one-note blob. Midrange tonality was completely off, at least for my taste. Male voices sound thin and flat, with a shrill edge to them. Female vocals are a bit better but still no depth or volume. Guitars lack sustain and volume, too. The treble performance is actually quite good for closed-backs, but still nothing super special for my ears. I'd probably buy one for 400-500 bucks because they're gorgeous and very comfy.

Two alternatives here:

The DT1770 beat the Z1R in every department (I wasn't bothered by their treble peak at all)

The Denon 7200/9200 beat them in midrange and bass (and are equally good in the treble)

Any of the Sennheiser HD6** beat the Z1R in any department, except sub-bass and raw treble extension

Now you might say that comparing a closed back to open backs is unfair, but the thing is, the Z1R don't isolate particularly well, at least that's the impression I had. So you wouldn't buy a Z1R because you're after the isolating properties of a closed-back model. This paragraph could be completely off, though, because of my limited testing in a loud environment.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,584 of 4,398
I've only had half an hour with these, but I was utterly unimpressed. They sound decently spacious for closed-backs with a surprising amount of stage height. Bass was shockingly average and had a tendency of becoming a one-note blob. Midrange tonality was completely off, at least for my taste. Male voices sound thin and flat, with a shrill edge to them. Female vocals are a bit better but still no depth or volume. Guitars lack sustain and volume, too. The treble performance is actually quite good for closed-backs, but still nothing super special for my ears. I'd probably buy one for 400-500 bucks because they're gorgeous and very comfy.

Two alternatives here:

The DT1770 beat the Z1R in every department (I wasn't bothered by their treble peak at all)

The Denon 7200/9200 beat them in midrange and bass (and are equally good in the treble)

Any of the Sennheiser HD6** beat the Z1R in any department, except sub-bass and raw treble extension

Now you might say that comparing a closed back to open backs is unfair, but the thing is, the Z1R don't isolate particularly well, at least that's the impression I had. So you wouldn't buy a Z1R because you're after the isolating properties of a closed-back model. This paragraph could be completely off, though, because of my limited testing in a loud environment.
Yeah, didn't think Z1R all that either. At the price I was hoping for something that has solid technicalities, but highs sounded off sounding, especially the upper-mids. Bass quality is pretty avg.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #2,585 of 4,398
Yeah, didn't think Z1R all that either. At the price I was hoping for something that has solid technicalities, but highs sounded off sounding, especially the upper-mids. Bass quality is pretty avg.
Z1R great build , great comfort , but average sound so I sold it.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #2,587 of 4,398
I'm very disappointed with my AH-D9200s, after just six months the left driver stopped working when I put them on today... :slight_frown:

Would you suggest me things to do in order to check if the driver is dead? I tried the R cable in L side and still no sound. I will try the other cable included in the bundle...

Purchased 6 months ago and were used alternating with my other headphones... I need to check it to claim for the warranty (3 years in the shop I purchased them, but they are not available now).

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2,588 of 4,398
Today I got to listen to a few headphones, including the Focal Utopia, and I felt that it would be the best open back complement to the D9200 that I've heard so far. I auditioned the Utopia not long after it came out and thought it was good then, but I appreciated it much more now that I own the Denons. They're the only things I've heard which can really stand shoulder to shoulder with the Denons. All the other open backs I've owned and tried may have had the benefit of sounding more open (not by much in some cases), but haven't had the resolution to match, and many have needed a lot of EQ.
I find this very interesting. Unfortunately, I have never had the pleasure of hearing a D9200. I find the Utopia to be hyper detailed. I really never thought that the Denon was on that level with detail. What are the other open back headphones that you have tried that lacked in comparison with detail compared to the Denon? I agree that the ERA-1 and the LCD-X are not the end all in detail.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #2,589 of 4,398
I'm very disappointed with my AH-D9200s, after just six months the left driver stopped working when I put them on today... :slight_frown:

Would you suggest me things to do in order to check if the driver is dead? I tried the R cable in L side and still no sound. I will try the other cable included in the bundle...

Purchased 6 months ago and were used alternating with my other headphones... I need to check it to claim for the warranty (3 years in the shop I purchased them, but they are not available now).

Is there denon customer support in Spain?
https://www.denon.com/es-ES

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,590 of 4,398
I find this very interesting. Unfortunately, I have never had the pleasure of hearing a D9200. I find the Utopia to be hyper detailed. I really never thought that the Denon was on that level with detail. What are the other open back headphones that you have tried that lacked in comparison with detail compared to the Denon? I agree that the ERA-1 and the LCD-X are not the end all in detail.
It's not. Don't expect it to be like the Utopia.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,591 of 4,398
Jul 1, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #2,592 of 4,398

Good luck on this journey.
I'm with you. :)

Hope it turns out well.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #2,593 of 4,398
Here, Denon says that I have to contact with the shop. That's what I'm going to do. I'll report here about the evolution of this...
Here, Denon says that I have to contact with the shop. That's what I'm going to do. I'll report here about the evolution of this...
Did you tell them the shop no longer exist? What did they say?

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,594 of 4,398
Did you tell them the shop no longer exist? What did they say?
No, the shop (ProfesionalDJ) is open, I meant that they don't have the 9200s available.
Good luck on this journey.
I'm with you. :)

Hope it turns out well.
Looking at your comments about, I was thinking in buying the 7200s and now this. If this issue is solved satisfactorily, I will go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back