Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,186 of 4,391
Ok,small update.
Yesterday my occ cable 4.4 came,and i modified my wm1a with new firmware..
Oh my gosh, these sound damn good,now the treble don't have any issues,everything sound more definite,airy and open..really beautiful improvement.
A question...can i change my pads with zmf pads?can i maybe modify them to work with my 9200?i'm asking just for improve the soundstage

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,187 of 4,391
i definitely do use gear to listen to music and not the other way around.

current plan of action will be ordering the 9200 week monday. found a dealer with a 30 day window of return and a small discount too. if they fit me well i'll keep them and my system will be complete. it needed a TOTL headphone to compliment my pm1's//chord stack hence the prolonged hesitation. photos pending.:camera:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #1,188 of 4,391
I’m putting the 9200s up for sale, since this hobby has become a little too costly for me to appreciate now...

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,189 of 4,391
Follow up. After putting some dekoni elite hybrid pads on my ah-d7000 and hearing them through my D90 and thx 789 amp I had to be honest with myself and admit I already had the best phones. I had them for so long but never did them justice. They really do scale very well with equipment and with all else being equal they just sound better to me. Congratulations to everyone that found the right source combo for the ah-d9200 because I couldn't figure it out. I got close but I don't have the money to keep buying and selling gear to get perfect synergy and the covid thing has me at reduced hours with an uncertain future which led me to selling the 9200 on ebay. I will pray to the headphone gods to protect my d7000's from harm.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,190 of 4,391
Follow up. After putting some dekoni elite hybrid pads on my ah-d7000 and hearing them through my D90 and thx 789 amp I had to be honest with myself and admit I already had the best phones. I had them for so long but never did them justice. They really do scale very well with equipment and with all else being equal they just sound better to me. Congratulations to everyone that found the right source combo for the ah-d9200 because I couldn't figure it out. I got close but I don't have the money to keep buying and selling gear to get perfect synergy and the covid thing has me at reduced hours with an uncertain future which led me to selling the 9200 on ebay. I will pray to the headphone gods to protect my d7000's from harm.
Glad you found your headphone. Enjoy listening to music.

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #1,191 of 4,391
i hope the 9200 finds a good home.

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,193 of 4,391
you will have a multi $$$ headphone later.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #1,194 of 4,391
I got my pair of D9200's in last week, and I have some thoughts and impressions.
They do need some burn in. These are as amp picky as other people have mentioned. The included cables also do make a difference. Felt there was slightly more treble energy and treble bias on the silver cable. My Monolith THX 788 DAC/AMP sounded incredibly clean and analytical, but when dealing with flagships, the cans themselves have all the headroom they need for this. I feel that these are resolving enough that THX makes them too clean and too analytical. Meanwhile plugging these into my Denon PMA 800 and OHHHHHHH BOY. I have a very strong suspicion that the Denon integrated amplifier line was the way that these were intended to be listened to. I stumbled into this article which is a fantastic read and I encourage everyone that has a pair to read this. It goes into so many of the details of the production of this headphone and explains what I mean with my above claim.
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/1147497.html

I'm going to quote this section (translated from google)
Prototype headphones using bamboo housing. The sound was checked by Shinichi Yamauchi, a Denon sound manager familiar with AV Watch. It is the "gatekeeper" of Denon's sound, and if Yamauchi does not shake his head vertically, the product will not be released. Not only does it make a final check, but is involved in the development stage and provides feedback to the development department. It is the key man of the sound of Denon that repeats it and raises the perfection of the product.

“In the D9200, I wanted to“ create something that I can fully understand by myself. ”Since the image of the goal of the sound existed from the beginning, tuning progressed relatively smoothly. The sound produced is the same as what we are pursuing with Hi-Fi components ”(Mr. Yamauchi).

Mr. Yamauchi's ideal sound is "a vivid and spacey sound," as I have introduced in previous interviews. In other words, there is no element that impedes the momentum or spread of the sound that comes out or traps it in the frame, and it spreads to the endless space, where a vibrant, energetic and emotional sound is localized. Sound ... will it be? If you've heard about the equipments Mr. Yamauchi worked on, such as 2500NE, 1600NE, and 800NE, which are single component components, you'll have experienced the world.

Shinichi Yamauchi is also the person with his signiture on the 'Thank you' paper with the serial number attached to each headphone.

I feel like the PMA 800/1600/2500 really is the way that these were intended to be listened to. The PMA 800 has a warmish sound and brings up the sub bass and bass by a not insignificant amount. It just has so much more low end energy than my THX (feeding the 788 DAC into the 800 as the 800's dac has weird left channel noise on my unit, and the monolith dac sounds better). Loses a bit of treble resolution but there is treble resolution in abundance on the 9200 I really did not miss the slight drop in treble resolution it is very slight and it quells a good deal of the harshness at the same time. Mids also get warmed up a bit, bass doesn't overpower the mids or anything. Bass maybe loses a bit of tightness, but once again not a bad thing, the 9200 has tight bass to spare, still plenty tight, just with a good jump in quantity of bass as well. They just sound so... right on my PMA 800 full, resolving, and fun. It just fills in the other ranges to compliment the D9200 treble so well. The only thing is now I have a cable running across my face as I have my PMA 800 above my monitor on a shelf on my desk setup... But holy ****. I highly recommend anyone that has a chance to plug these into one of Denon's higher end integrated amplifiers that Mr. Yamauchi has worked on, they do so. The Monolith THX 788 is the highest end dac and amp that I have heard so maybe I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to dacs and headphone amps, but I don't think that is the case not with how right the 9200's sound on the PMA 800.

I've heard that the Mojo also has a bass emphasized reduced treble resolution sound signature. Can't comment on the mojo firsthand but I can imagine that may be why people sing its praises in this thread. If so, it could make for a great pairing if you can live with the crappy battery situation. Someone else can probably offer a better comment on this than I can though.

I have a feeling tubes are gonna be the next step. The Project Ember has been calling my name for a while.

Also another good Japanese article. This one is mainly picture focused. https://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=41665

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,195 of 4,391
If chord released a mojo-like desktop unit that never runs out of batteries it would be perfect for the d9200. I couldn't justify spending $5000 on a hugo tt just to listen to headphones so hopefully a mojo tt comes out soon. If they do that I might buy the 9200 again.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,196 of 4,391
If chord released a mojo-like desktop unit that never runs out of batteries it would be perfect for the d9200. I couldn't justify spending $5000 on a hugo tt just to listen to headphones so hopefully a mojo tt comes out soon. If they do that I might buy the 9200 again.
Take a look at a Audio GD R28 or R27. It's a (R2R) FPGA dac also :wink:

Same thing with more power and never runs out of juice. :) :)
Though with a hugh food print on the desk. ^^

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,197 of 4,391
Hi everyone I am just sneaking around and got curious about this headphones. They seems to win a lot of pride and good feedbacks among the realm of closed back headphones :)
I see they are already a better choice over the sony mdr-z1r! Do 9200 share the same headphone cable connectors?
I was thinking maybe the pw1960 for this headphones can do magic :)

How do the 9200 compare in sound tonality vs the ath-awas?

Have anyone tried pairing those with wm1z? Wouldnt that be a sublime marriage as 1z is warm lush and easy and musical?

May 5, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,198 of 4,391
Hi everyone I am just sneaking around and got curious about this headphones. They seems to win a lot of pride and good feedbacks among the realm of closed back headphones :)
I see they are already a better choice over the sony mdr-z1r! Do 9200 share the same headphone cable connectors?
I was thinking maybe the pw1960 for this headphones can do magic :)

How do the 9200 compare in sound tonality vs the ath-awas?

Have anyone tried pairing those with wm1z? Wouldnt that be a sublime marriage as 1z is warm lush and easy and musical?
Hi,i don't know ath-awas,but for the connectors..9200 use classical 3.5 mm,but the z1r connectors from the photos seems shorter than stock 3,5mm.
While for pairing,i'm pairing my 9200 with my wm1a (custom firmware WM1Az1 and MX3 region) and is absolutley outstanding,sound extremly natural and emotional.IMHO with wm1z should be even better than wm1a; the 9200 isn't brigth..it's lively...with wm1z warm should be a perfect pairing!!

May 6, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,199 of 4,391
Just got my D9200. First impressions compared to my beloved D7200 that I own since it was released: it's bright but not to the extent of being sibilant. The subbass amount is a little bit less than on D7200, however it's more controlled, has more texture. The overall sound signature is more refined, more detailed, more neutral and audiophile that does not necessarily always translate into more fun, especially with electronic music like techno and IDM. I have to adapt to the extended treble that reminds me of some Beyerdynamic headphones. Burning them in to tame the treble even if I don't believe in burn-in as I have never experienced any changes in the character of sound after using headphones for a prolonged period of time. Using them with Questyle QP1R on the go and Audiolab Q-DAC at home (Tidal and FLAC downloads). The cable is from Forza Audio.

View attachment DSC_1812-Exposure.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,200 of 4,391
Just got my D9200. First impressions compared to my beloved D7200 that I own since it was released: it's bright but not to the extent of being sibilant. The subbass amount is a little bit less than on D7200, however it's more controlled, has more texture. The overall sound signature is more refined, more detailed, more neutral and audiophile that does not necessarily always translate into more fun, especially with electronic music like techno and IDM. I have to adapt to the extended treble that reminds me of some Beyerdynamic headphones. Burning them in to tame the treble even if I don't believe in burn-in as I have never experienced any changes in the character of sound after using headphones for a prolonged period of time. Using them with Questyle QP1R on the go and Audiolab Q-DAC at home (Tidal and FLAC downloads). The cable is from Forza Audio.

Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back