Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,156 of 4,392
I too experienced the 9200 can easily change with amps , dacs , cable's etc.
Im very glad that I haven’t sold the headphone before getting my HA500H, I love this Denon so much now :beyersmile:.
What really baffled me is that even the Questyle CMA600i, which my friend had before his HA500H, would not make for a good match with the Denon, despite it being a highly competent DAC/AMP.

EDIT: What cable are you using? I am currently looking to get myself a Forza Audioworks Noir MK2 as soon they are available again.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,157 of 4,392
Im very glad that I haven’t sold the headphone before getting my HA500H, I love this Denon so much now :beyersmile:.
What really baffled me is that even the Questyle CMA600i, which my friend had before his HA500H, would not make for a good match with the Denon, despite it being a highly competent DAC/AMP.

EDIT: What cable are you using? I am currently looking to get myself a Forza Audioworks Noir MK2 as soon they are available again.
I do enjoy trying out different cables. Copper/silver , copper , or silver , but Im ok as is with the 9200. I did notice that the 9200 enjoys power , sound will change with power. Been using the Romi 5W Class A portable amp and it made the 9200 sing.

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,158 of 4,392
Is there somewhere a direct comparsion between the Denon AH-D9200 and the Fostex TH900 (mk1 or mk2 doesn't matter)?

Which have the better bass (quality and quantity, punch and deep)?

I searched for it but did find only quite brief statements and not what i was looking for...
:k701smile:

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,159 of 4,392
Is there somewhere a direct comparsion between the Denon AH-D9200 and the Fostex TH900 (mk1 or mk2 doesn't matter)?

Which have the better bass (quality and quantity, punch and deep)?

I searched for it but did find only quite brief statements and not what i was looking for...
:k701smile:
You didn't see my post? It would go to D9200 for bass quality and punch although TH900 seems deeper.

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,160 of 4,392
Just wanted to give you my impressions about the Denon AH-D9200:

At first I didn't like the headphone nearly as much as originally anticipated and I was very close to selling it and getting a Focal Stellia. The Denon 9200 sounded to bright and lacked "soul". I came from an Focal Clear, which doesn't sound colored either, but wasn't nearly as bright as the Denon with my Denon DA-300USB AMP/DAC. I therfore upgraded to a Marantz HD-DAC1, which made the 9200 better but still not life-like sounding. Also the HD-DAC1 has that notorious Marantz mid-bump, which sounds pleasing at first but can get quite fatiguing after a while. The stereo image also was quite narrow, but better as with the Denon DA-300, more inline with what I remebered with my original Focal Clear+DA-300 combo.

Last month a friend of mine has bought himself a Cocktail Audio HA500H (also known as Novafidelity HA500H) for his Meze Empyrean and I had the chance to demo it with the Denon AH-D9200. OH MY GOD! What a difference! It literally blew my mind what abilities this headphone has when paired with a matching DAC/AMP! I really don't want to overhype a particular setup, as preferences tend to vary quite a bit. But this Combo is the endgame for me!

Very good stereo image (wide and deep), "airy" sound with no sharpness (with tubes engaged), brutally detailed and very fast+punchy while staying neutral!
After one evening at my friends house I ordered a HA500H. :) It completly transformed my opinion of the Denon 9200, it is now my favourite headphone!

Headphones that I have also tested: Meze Empyrean, Focal Clear, HD 800 (stock), Fidelio X2, DT990 Pro 250 Ohm

Have a good one my friends and enjoy this masterpiece from Denon!

P.S.: I found the Meze quite lacking in punch/speed when compared to the Denon. Also the Denon is way less colored in sound signature compared to the Meze, making it a better match to the sound of the HA500H when tubes are engaged. Also it is way cheaper :wink:
Curios how different the experiences can be with this dac/amp.

I did a listen to this amp with the D7200 at a local dealer where I bought my Elac speakers 4 weeks ago.
It doesn't sound like your description. The D7200 on my R28, which I took with my for serious comparison, sounded miles ahead to the HA500H.
I've to add that the chain on the dealers side was "Hp notebook -> wireless Lan -> Lan -> Sonos Connect -> MH500H -> D7200 se" and "my Surface Pro 7 -> usb -> MH500H -> D7200 se".
My chain was "my Surface Pro 7 -> usb -> AGD R28 -> D7200 se.

On the HM500H, the D7200 sounded somewhat thin and lifeless. I didn't expect that out of a 2k Dac/H-amp.
With the R28, the D7200 been to shine within the whole frequency scale.

Same with the Cocktail Audio X45 connected to the Elac Air-x 407, which i've bought after listen to them with the R 28.
It sounded a bit fuzzy compared to the R28.
My dealer was curious about the AGD and attested a very clean and enjoyable listening out of the R28.
Later one, he did a search for and made an order for himself. ^^

I don't know what was happening with the CA devices. At least with the chain of my dealer.

Anyway, it looks like the Denons higher tier headphones are extremely picky with the source.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #1,161 of 4,392
Curios how different the experiences can be with this dac/amp.

I did a listen to this amp with the D7200 at a local dealer where I bought my Elac speakers 4 weeks ago.
It doesn't sound like your description. The D7200 on my R28, which I took with my for serious comparison, sounded miles ahead to the HA500H.
I've to add that the chain on the dealers side was "Hp notebook -> wireless Lan -> Lan -> Sonos Connect -> MH500H -> D7200 se" and "my Surface Pro 7 -> usb -> MH500H -> D7200 se".
My chain was "my Surface Pro 7 -> usb -> AGD R28 -> D7200 se.

On the HM500H, the D7200 sounded somewhat thin and lifeless. I didn't expect that out of a 2k Dac/H-amp.
With the R28, the D7200 been to shine within the whole frequency scale.

Same with the Cocktail Audio X45 connected to the Elac Air-x 407, which i've bought after listen to them with the R 28.
It sounded a bit fuzzy compared to the R28.
My dealer was curious about the AGD and attested a very clean and enjoyable listening out of the R28.
Later one, he did a search for and made an order for himself. ^^

I don't know what was happening with the CA devices. At least with the chain of my dealer.

Anyway, it looks like the Denons higher tier headphones are extremely picky with the source.
I never have heard the D7200, but I firmly disagree with the HA500H beeing liveless in sound characteristic. I see that Audio-GD has a model (D27.38), which uses the excact same DAC's (Dual ES9038Pro) as the HA500H. So maybe the 7200 just didn't work as good in combination with the HA500H as the 9200 does?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #1,162 of 4,392
I never have heard the D7200, but I firmly disagree with the HA500H beeing liveless in sound characteristic. I see that Audio-GD has a model (D27.38), which uses the excact same DAC's (Dual ES9038Pro) as the HA500H. So maybe the 7200 just didn't work as good in combination with the HA500H as the 9200 does?

Risky comparison .. The FiiO M15 and the Astell&Kern SP2000 both have AK4499EQ dacs, yet they sound worlds apart ...

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,163 of 4,392
It could be, yes.
As i said, i don't know what has been wrong at this audition.
But the MH500H was sounding way off in that shop. :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #1,164 of 4,392
Risky comparison .. The FiiO M15 and the Astell&Kern SP2000 both have AK4499EQ dacs, yet they sound worlds apart ...

How different sounding are the DAPs? which do you prefer?

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,165 of 4,392
Apr 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,166 of 4,392
It could be, yes.
As i said, i don't know what has been wrong at this audition.
But the MH500H was sounding way off in that shop. :frowning2:
I just took a listen to "Holiday" from Madonna in MQA from Tidal, which the HA500 can natively decode. And it sounds just flawless to my ears. I will give the Audio GD R-28 a try in the future, as I am currently very sattisfied with my combo. Is the Audio GD R-28 superior to the D-27.38? Or is it the other way around?

Edit: Or in simpler terms: What is considered the competing product to the HA500?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,167 of 4,392
I just took a listen to "Holiday" from Madonna in MQA from Tidal, which the HA500 can natively decode. And it sounds just flawless to my ears. I will give the Audio GD R-28 a try in the future, as I am currently very sattisfied with my combo. Is the Audio GD R-28 superior to the D-27.38? Or is it the other way around?

Edit: Or in simpler terms: What is considered the competing product to the HA500?
I don't know the 27.38, therefor i've no clue or opinion of which device is superior to the other.
For a serious comparison, i've to spend some days with them side by side, i guess.
A R2R Dac will always sound a bit different compared to SD-dacs by its technology.
The whole thing is a matter of "unbiased" taste, and we all know that taste will never be unbaised. ^^

Anyway, if i would be on the hunt, i'd take my time and share some days with these beauties to evaluate my preferred sound signature.
Atm, i like the sound out of the R28 a lot. :wink:
In NOS Mode, it will pairs best with brighter headphones and give them a smooth touch.
On OS 8 mode, the sound is more crisp and textured and would fit to warmer (darker) headphones better.
Also you can change the modes for different genres to get the best music experience with your beloved headphone.
Of course, take all of my descriptions with a grain of salt.

I didn't audition all the "competitors" on the market and i'm not that knowledged like other guys within the audio community.
Just a guy who likes to listen to music and to be able to share his thoughts and experience with others.:L3000:
Maybe i'll give the MH500H a second chance at home.
But atm, i'm very pleased by the sound of the R28.
I got so many years left to listen to so much more great engineered stuff out there. :)
Also curios about the differences between D7200 and D9200 and i've the hope to audition both of them side by side one day.

Never stop listen to music, guys.

Hope all is well and have a great day.

Chris

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,168 of 4,392
Also curios about the differences between D7200 and D9200 and i've the hope to audition both of them side by side one day.

Appreciate your enthusiasm:v:
Made my input about the comparison in post #353, page 24 with me concluding that the 9200 is a marginally better pair though auditioned not using a heavy rig. Just from a quick skim-read, the thread had developed into users reporting about great drivability of the 9200s.

I haven’t got the access to my Denons for quite sometime though...might need to give them an audition again before finally selling them. Hope you try them both someday too.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,170 of 4,392
You didn't see my post? It would go to D9200 for bass quality and punch although TH900 seems deeper.

Thanks for the hint. I searched again for your posts in this thread and found some mention the TH900.

Link #1
Link #2
Link #3

I have the TH900 paired with a quite strong amp, a Violectric v281, the amount and deep of the bass is great, but i miss sometimes the punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back