Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #991 of 4,398
These has really grown on me after I got into hiphop music lately. I can't listen to anything else for hiphop. It's just perfect for hiphop, the bass is so much fun! Definately an improment over Fostex Ebony.

I've noticed improvement when I switched to usb for my Hugo 2 out of Mac mini. So, I think using a Mac improves the sound, sounding more detailed and precise. I've been listening to a lot of hiphop lately due to this headphone.
I came from the TH900 , I still enjoy the TH900. At first I found the 9200 good but not great , but after many hours of use, weeks , months the 9200 changed and I like it a lot. I notice the 9200 loves power.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #992 of 4,398
I came from the TH900 , I still enjoy the TH900. At first I found the 9200 good but not great , but after many hours of use, weeks , months the 9200 changed and I like it a lot. I notice the 9200 loves power.
These headphones are low ohmage so I believe they match well with clean solid-state with near 0 output impedance.

Let's say that we compare bass to bass, would TH900 come ahead, also for sound stage? Sound stage isn't the strength of 9200. I like open-backs for some genres due to the air. For upper frequencies, the TH900 comes out ahead right?

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #993 of 4,398
These headphones are low ohmage so I believe they match well with clean solid-state with near 0 output impedance.

Let's say that we compare bass to bass, would TH900 come ahead, also for sound stage? Sound stage isn't the strength of 9200. I like open-backs for some genres due to the air. For upper frequencies, the TH900 comes out ahead right?
Im using six TH900s along with the 9200. The TH900 bass is always pounding deep and hard while the 9200 will pound mostly when called for. Yes the 9200 doesnt need a lot of power but for me it starts to pound more with more power like ² watts of power. 9200 mids are slightly more upfront and treble maybe slightly more rounded than the TH900. Sound stage are pretty close.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #994 of 4,398
Im using six TH900s along with the 9200. The TH900 bass is always pounding deep and hard while the 9200 will pound mostly when called for. Yes the 9200 doesnt need a lot of power but for me it starts to pound more with more power like ² watts of power. 9200 mids are slightly more upfront and treble maybe slightly more rounded than the TH900. Sound stage are pretty close.
i heard the th900 in stock form many times, and the biggest difference is 9200 has a gentler treble in which the th900 sometimes can get harsh. the other difference is the mids are more natural on 9200 than th900 and have more body

As for my buddy @jmills8 modded th900 I never heard those

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #995 of 4,398
I find the d9200 bass interesting due to the way it's express, which I said the same about the Fostex Ebony back in the day. The d9200 bass is weighty in the deep portion, which I'm sure is a draw for those love deep digging bass, but also moves that weight around fairly quickly, as that part can be sluggish, and this would depend on how it's amped. How it's amped causes how cleanly the bass is expressed, but with that deep digging weight.

I like deep bass with a lot of weight moved around quickly. HD800 if amped well, can have this really fast bass with a large area, but not really digging deep. I guess we can say that the deep low bass is by nature slower?

With hiphop, there's a lot of emphasis on bass, and there's a lot to the music than 'lots of bass' if the right headphone is used I find. hiphop is interesting with bass due to different expressions of bass.

Funny story. Somebody said HD600 is good for hiphop for them. They really need to hear these types of the headphones for hiphop. It would blow their minds. The old Beats headphones were never really the real hiphop headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #996 of 4,398
i heard the th900 in stock form many times, and the biggest difference is 9200 has a gentler treble in which the th900 sometimes can get harsh. the other difference is the mids are more natural on 9200 than th900 and have more body

As for my buddy @jmills8 modded th900 I never heard those
That's the thing about D9200, it doesn't have that much body to the sound. It still has a bit of a V-shaped characteristic I say, and doesn't sound like as much as TH900 based on what I read around. What I read is the TH900 has a unique bass that really stands out (and big question is, relative to D9200 how different better or not?). HD800 didn't have much body to the mids either, but the 800 definately has more treble peakiness, emphasis, but the upper frequencies (of the D9200) arn't relatively peaky in comparison to what we can generally say is peaky.

With Jazz, I like Utopia. With electronic, I like HD800S. With hiphop, D9200 to be the best for the genre I've heard so far.

Another factor D9200 I'm not so thrilled with is the small stage, it seems more in the head, but some recordings do expand the stage.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #997 of 4,398
I as looking at measurement, and this response makes sense to me, but with more more bass emphasis I'd imagine. I think I hear it toward the V-shape and less upper-mids supper with treble standing out. It may have the treble raise like the HD800 on graph, but it does't have 6-7k on it, probably makes the difference to seem not harsh. HD800 has the 6-7k as well. Now I'm getting why it as compared to HD800, although a different animal.

The way the treble stands out relative to other frequencies, it does have that, before treble frequencies lowered kinda sound. So, two parts that stands out is the deep bass and the treble area. I'm merely meaning standing out, not harsh or too much, because it gives off an impression of fairly balanced.

So, can this headphone be classified as warm? I say no, as I define warm headphone as headphone that has thickness in the mids, not just bass lift. This headphone has no mid thickness that can cloud the upper frequencies is what I'm saying. Mids is a bit cooled off to create clarity with deep bass presence. This is a closed-back, so the response will look different when damping the resonances compared to an open-back I imagine. They must have done a better job at dampening the cup resonance because it doesn't have the cup thickness sound.

I will say that JVC DX1000 was a terrible closed-back in comparison. It's response was colored in a wonky way that it didn't sound natural across the board.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #998 of 4,398
Just reporting back about my new cable from Mimic cables. I got a 16 foot so I can chill in my recliner across the living room and got it with a 3.5mm to fit my chord mojo without an adapter. I wanted to have a minimum of weaknesses in the connection and have one style of cable all the way to the source instead of a headphone cable to an extension to an adapter to the mojo. I got a basic occ copper cable with paracord braid and eidolic connectors for $160. It was a third the cost of some others I checked out so I decided to give it a shot since the snake oil levels were lower. The paracord sheath was recommended to me for minimum microphonics and it seems to be an improvement. I can make it rustle a little sometimes if I try but it doesn't seem to be a regular nuisance like it was with the original cord so the improvement is noticeable. The cable is light which I appreciate after feeling all those connectors and super thick cable tug at my phones with their combined weight before. Sound quality seems to be good. I can't tell the difference but maybe if I switch back and forth a lot there's something subtle that my untrained ears couldn't find in certain songs. As it stands I'm a happy customer. https://www.mimic-cables.com/collections/sleeved-cables

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,000 of 4,398
Sorry for my late Reply, i was totaly focused on listening to the Denon and some other Things which were Audiorelated (sorry for my bad english :wink: )
The Denon sounded with the TT2 absolutely precise from the bottom bass frequencies up to the highs, after some hours of break in the soundquality is better than with my Audeze XC´s, even more detailed and this bass is from outer space.

Since Yesterday i am the owner of an Custom Made Feliks Audio Euforia Anniversary Edition from Poland, and this combination is even absolutely fantastic but needs a little time to break in.

Sadly my Chord TT2 has gone up in smoke this morning for the second time within one year. This Stuff sounds fantastic but has a build quality that is dissapointing for this price. So I only have the Mojo as a DAC for the Break In of the Euforia :triumph:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,001 of 4,398
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I got into game when I listened to music on a friend's AH-7000's, and so, eventually it came time for me to get my own and I started with the signature Schiit beginner stack and Denon AH-7100's. I knew they didn't sound like my friend's 7000's but I gave them a chance and grew to love them. I've since upgraded to the Lyr 3 and am starting to get into different tubes.

I've pulled the trigger and purchased an AH-9200 that arrives next week. I cannot wait to hear them after what I have read in this thread. See y'all soon!

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,003 of 4,398
Got a Drop THX AAA 789 amp hooked up to the mojo in line out mode tonight. The ah-d9200's sound great. Like they did with the mojo alone but a bit more meat on the bones of the sound with a bit more separation and definition. Like a mojo with more power. Maybe slightly less laid back but definitely not suffering from the weird peakiness I got with the atom amp. It's weird because they're both supposed to be transparent. Not sure why the atom sounded good with the d7000's and not the d9200's. Anyhow the THX amp seems pretty kickass so far with the d9200's.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,004 of 4,398
the apparent sound quality increase you are experiencing with amping the mojo is just extra RFI noise appearing to falsely improve the sound quality by presenting an artificial brightness and artificial soundstage width and depth etc. i would go back to mojo on its own. the darker sound with added real sound stage depth and width is better. the extra amp on top of the mojo is just adding unwanted distortion. the mojo is capable of driving the denon 9200 and far more difficult to drive headphones with no problem at all.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,005 of 4,398
the apparent sound quality increase you are experiencing with amping the mojo is just extra RFI noise appearing to falsely improve the sound quality by presenting an artificial brightness and artificial soundstage width and depth etc. i would go back to mojo on its own. the darker sound with added real sound stage depth and width is better. the extra amp on top of the mojo is just adding unwanted distortion. the mojo is capable of driving the denon 9200 and far more difficult to drive headphones with no problem at all.
RFI? Where are you getting all this from? He amped the signal from Mojo, and it's whatever coming out of it. In order for you to know what has result you have to hear the output of the amp, not speculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back