Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,616 of 4,414
I don't think that this has so much sound impact, yet I still love headphones with wooden cups. My initial thoughts were about the same, why cheap bamboo on the top model? Yet holding them in hand it has nothing cheap about it, it's beautiful without being overboard like some strange wooden cups that are polished and just too much look-I'm-real-wood-with-structure. I also like that no rare tree had to die for those cups... and the craftsmanship that went into building them is impressive.
I keep an open mind too, and have SOMETIMES been able to perceive a subtle difference between cables, materials etc, so I assumed that bamboo was specifically chosen as the grain brought forward the mids and tamed the bass :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (joke?)
Once you get out of the cities in Japan bamboo grows everywhere with massive clusters of it on the roadsides, whole forests of it. Often you see it used for budget products but in Japan it can be used for beautiful high-end products, especially traditional items like vases. My partner is from Japan and pre-Covid I have been going for the past 22 years and love every aspect of the country so a Japanese brand headphone with bamboo cups is right up my alley.
This was just a cheap ¥100 vase I use on my desk for pens etc a budget object of beauty, the D9200 will compliment it nicely one day

20221102_084104.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,617 of 4,414
Good points.
It's all about everyone's own POV. :)

As i've said last year, the cups on the D7200 were better suited on the D9200, for my liking ofc. :)
Just looks more "premium" for a high tier headphone like the bigger brother.
But that's just me. :)

Every decision made by the manufacturer has a purpose, maybe it was a subtle one - but worth it. And it was definitely. :thumbsup:
I’ve tinkered with D9200, D7200 and D5200 cups, and found that they do sound subtly different. At the moment I own a set of D9200s and D5200s with D9200 drivers. I don’t listen to the 5200s much as they’re more of a backup in case anything happens to their sibling, but I remember them sounding a tiny bit richer than the 9200s.

Looks-wise though, I think they all look great. The zebra wood looks very nice, although the inlaid logo on the D9200s looks more premium.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #3,619 of 4,414
I have paired my Denon D9200 with a Hifiman EF400 DAC/AMP which is connected with a Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable to my PC. So far I am very pleased with the result. I am considering getting myself an XLR 4-pin balanced cable for the headphones. Do you think that this will improve anything or is it just a waste of money?

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #3,620 of 4,414
I have paired my Denon D9200 with a Hifiman EF400 DAC/AMP which is connected with a Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable to my PC. So far I am very pleased with the result. I am considering getting myself an XLR 4-pin balanced cable for the headphones. Do you think that this will improve anything or is it just a waste of money?
It depends on the amp.
If it's truly differential design, than there could be a benefit.
But you don't need that much for the D9200 to drive, imo.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #3,621 of 4,414
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a pair of D9200s. Anyone looking to sell in the UK, let me know!

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3,622 of 4,414
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a pair of D9200s. Anyone looking to sell in the UK, let me know!
There was one listed in classifieds

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,624 of 4,414
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #3,626 of 4,414
D9200 has such a pleasing treble. Good detail and clarity, yet so smooth without a hint of sibilance. I can literally listen to these all day with zero listening fatigue. Wasn't love at first sight, but the D9200 is fast becoming my all time favorite!

Earpad comfort is light years ahead of d5200 too. Minus the slightly flat headband shape, good size, weight, and pads all contribute to all day comfort.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,627 of 4,414
I still consider them bright, visible on measurements, too, and compared to other headphones.
But the D9200 treble depends also on the earpads (everything else, too, but treble is a bitch and not all pads will affect the treble).
For instance, these (the leather version, not the protein ones) are very good earpads to start with, even in stock form.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000908305455.html

ali-pads1.jpg
ali-pads-foam1.jpg

In addition, if you dare to mod them, they become quite stunning, much better than the original pads, and far cheaper. Kind of different take than the Stax 007 or 009 pads (which are still better), but with these Chinese pads the treble is less of a problem. The mod is the same as with nearly all other pads: trimming the internal foam, all 4 circular edges (so it becomes more of a toroidal form) and some of the height in the back, about 20-25% of the mass. Resewing is not strictly needed, as the leather folds over the foam completely. Attach to the frame with double sided adhesive patches, not with the plastic mounting rings. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #3,629 of 4,414
I bought a D9200 from the classified, should arrive in a few days.
In my headphone journey i JUST realized that i mostly prefer a rise in the upper treble / air frequencies, so 10k+. A large portion of my library is rock and when i listen to the VC it just does not sound as engaging and i realized that i miss certain frequencies. With the 1266, Sus & Hemp i got exactly that, i love them. I am very interested when the Denon arrives, the graph says that it has some air. I also wanted to get a Stellia but that now i checked its frequency response graph and it also doesn't have much air.
Now i'm double hyped for the Denon. I will also check for that in future purchases if i prefer the Denon over the VC.
Chances are pretty high that i got brandmarked by the Sundara that started the journey haha.

Dec 1, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #3,630 of 4,414
Anyone tried Denon AH-D9200 with Hiby RS6?
Combination is supposed to be bedside rig only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back