Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #3,647 of 4,398
Then never buy a Beyer haha. The Hifimen are also similiar in the treble.
You can tame them a bit with a class A or AB amp and the "S" noises did get less sharp compared to a solid state but at that point you should look elsewhere.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,648 of 4,398
You can tame them a bit with a class A or AB amp and the "S" noises did get less sharp compared to a solid state but at that point you should look elsewhere.

Why buy an expensive Class A or Tube amp, when you can just EQ out the "S"?

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #3,649 of 4,398
What about the 3rd generation T1 and T3?

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #3,650 of 4,398
I had a chance to listen to the ZMF Verite Closed and Atrium at the SOCAL Can Jam back in September. I brought my D9200’s with me with so I could compare them. I am not great at explaining what I heard. I thought the 9200’s sounded just as good as the ZMF VC; I think the VC edge the 9200’s out in tonal sound but not enough for me to buy a set. My intentions were to buy a set of the VC closed. I enjoyed the Atrium over the VC but open back headphones are a no go in my house, says the wife of 36 years. I also had a chance to listen to the Focal Stellia and Meze Audio Liric and I enjoyed the Denon 9200’s more. I am currently using a Schiit Folkvanger (amp), Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (DAC), and the Schiit Lokius EQ and my PC is feeding the audio signal via USB to the Bifrost. I know how something sounds is very subjective but I wonder if there is a closed back headphone that trumps the 9200’s.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #3,651 of 4,398
I had a chance to listen to the ZMF Verite Closed and Atrium at the SOCAL Can Jam back in September. I brought my D9200’s with me with so I could compare them. I am not great at explaining what I heard. I thought the 9200’s sounded just as good as the ZMF VC; I think the VC edge the 9200’s out in tonal sound but not enough for me to buy a set. My intentions were to buy a set of the VC closed. I enjoyed the Atrium over the VC but open back headphones are a no go in my house, says the wife of 36 years. I also had a chance to listen to the Focal Stellia and Meze Audio Liric and I enjoyed the Denon 9200’s more. I am currently using a Schiit Folkvanger (amp), Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (DAC), and the Schiit Lokius EQ and my PC is feeding the audio signal via USB to the Bifrost. I know how something sounds is very subjective but I wonder if there is a closed back headphone that trumps the 9200’s.

No, there is not! The D9200 is the end game ... unfortunately. :) Thanks for the compare info, I was wondering how these sets do compare to them.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3,652 of 4,398
I will have a chance to listen to the Stellia for a few days and can give my impressions. With open backs the "obtainable" ultimate headphones are the Sus for musicality and timbre and realism and the 1266 for dynamics, fun and bass, maybe right below it the Stax SR009 (and then there are the 3 "bull*** expensive" cans with Shangri La, HE-1 and Warwick Aperio). There are A LOT of other TOTL cans in the open back segment that are top-notch and offer different sound signatures.
There is no stated winner in terms of closed backs, i've often read that some people do not like the DCA Stealth. I realized that i want a flat bass or boosted subbass, if boosted then i need a drop at ~150Hz so it doesn't bleed into the mids. I want recessed (or at least not shouty) mids that are not shouty, i am ok with a bit boosted treble as long as it's not too much. Then i want boosted air frequencies in the upper treble. Honestly, that's not easy to find in the closed back market. 90% of cans are open and half of the closed ones don't have that good of an isolation factor (sadly the Denon belongs in that catergory too).
The DCA Aeon Noire 2 has that sound signature and i might try it, but it will lose in terms of technicalities versus the likes of the D9200 or the VC.

However, there a A LOT of IEM's, but that's a different story.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #3,653 of 4,398
What about the 3rd generation T1 and T3?
T5 3rd gen is actually a very relaxing listen, boosted bass and treble is pulled back somewhat, no sibilance issues or listening fatigue to speak of. Mids are also very lush if not a bit veiled. This qualities in conjunction with its ease of drivability and compact form factor made it my go-to for portable listening (off go blu or dap)

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #3,654 of 4,398
T5 3rd gen is actually a very relaxing listen, boosted bass and treble is pulled back somewhat, no sibilance issues or listening fatigue to speak of. Mids are also very lush if not a bit veiled. This qualities in conjunction with its ease of drivability and compact form factor made it my go-to for portable listening (off go blu or dap)
Just how relaxed are we talking?

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,655 of 4,398
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #3,656 of 4,398
Does anyone here have any experience with these and the old AHD-7000s? Are they close on sound signature, weight, and comfort? Thinking about adding one to my collection. Getting a bit tired of the super long cable and the headband that's peeling and falling apart on the old Denons.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #3,657 of 4,398
Just how relaxed are we talking?
I would say they went with a more 'consumer' focus with the tuning, so nothing offensive across the frequency range and boosted bass. Details are still there but you have to listen closer for them, so in this regard (esp compared to D9200) they might be a bit too relaxed, depending on how upfront you like your details. It's more of a sit back and relax headphone, where you enjoy the music instead of analyzing the headphone, because as mentioned it doesn't graph so well.
The graph indicates that the treble is not the problem, have you seen the mids? They look very wonky.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/beyerdynamic-t5-3rd-gen/

That's a bass bleed into a recess (way later than DT1770 or closed back focals) into a big bump from 500-1,5k... Wonky...
Also no air for me.
This is the cost of going for a consumer focus, its tuning no longer really appeals to critical listeners who want sound to be dead flat or adhere to a certain target. I would say the bass is more boomy and fun, but yes it definitely bleeds to mids at times.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #3,658 of 4,398
I would say they went with a more 'consumer' focus with the tuning, so nothing offensive across the frequency range and boosted bass. Details are still there but you have to listen closer for them, so in this regard (esp compared to D9200) they might be a bit too relaxed, depending on how upfront you like your details. It's more of a sit back and relax headphone, where you enjoy the music instead of analyzing the headphone, because as mentioned it doesn't graph so well.

This is the cost of going for a consumer focus, its tuning no longer really appeals to critical listeners who want sound to be dead flat or adhere to a certain target. I would say the bass is more boomy and fun, but yes it definitely bleeds to mids at times.
Would you call the T1 3rd dynamic? I understand that it's more of a laid back presentation, I'm just trying to get an idea as to how much. If I like the dynamics and note weight of cans from Focal and Kennerton, does this headphone get anywhere close? Have you heard the NightOwl by any chance?

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #3,659 of 4,398
Getting a bit tired of the super long cable and the headband that's peeling and falling apart on the old Denons.
Have you reached out to fullcompass.com and asked them if they have the headband?

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #3,660 of 4,398
Would you call the T1 3rd dynamic? I understand that it's more of a laid back presentation, I'm just trying to get an idea as to how much. If I like the dynamics and note weight of cans from Focal and Kennerton, does this headphone get anywhere close? Have you heard the NightOwl by any chance?
Unfortunately I haven't heard the T1.3, but t5 is actually quite dynamic though I don't really have a frame of reference in terms of focal or Kennerton headphones, the only Focal I had was Utopia which does slam quite a bit harder, but it also costs 4x as much, and I haven't heard anything from Kennerton or the nightowl yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back