Denon AH-D7000
Feb 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #6,946 of 7,464
Hi,

Am I the only one having a problem with the smell of the faux-leather ear pads ?

I've washed them twice, dried them carefully, still that mix of foam and plastic smell.

You may say ears are supposed to ear, not smell, but that is a concern for me.

I've read the Angle Pad from Lawson were nice, but may modified trebles.

Any other options ?

Alpha pads ? Perfume ?

I had a pair of D2000's that stank due to the previous owner smoking around them or whatever and what I did was place the entire headphone in some Tupperware with a box of baking soda, sealed them and let them sit there for a few days. The baking soda obsorbed quite a bit of the smell. Didn't completely take away the odor but it made them much easier to use.

FYI do not pour the baking soda out just cut open the top and leave it in the box so it can do its thing. And I really liked the Alpha's on the D7000

Thanks,

:evil:

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #6,947 of 7,464
Brian from BTG audio fixed the one problem I felt these amazing headphones had...............the stock cable.  Q French Silk with a terrazzo plug, also from Q Audio. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #6,949 of 7,464
Beautiful Frank, Congrats!

Thanks Eric. It was your inspiration on the TH900 that gave me the idea to do this. That cable is incredibly light and flexible.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #6,950 of 7,464
Nice recable! Any idea how easy it is to get to the drivers in the d7000? I would love to do my own recable, probably terminate them in a balanced plug. I've never heard a d7000 with a recable so don't know how it might change the sound, but I hate the length and twisting of the stock cable.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #6,951 of 7,464
Nice recable! Any idea how easy it is to get to the drivers in the d7000? I would love to do my own recable, probably terminate them in a balanced plug. I've never heard a d7000 with a recable so don't know how it might change the sound, but I hate the length and twisting of the stock cable.

Simple. Remove the pads (which for a first time Denon pad remover can be difficult), then remove the cups by taking out the screws seen through the pad ring snap hole and you then have the wire connection right in front of you.

There's a video on removing the pads on the Lawton audio website to help.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #6,952 of 7,464
The cable on the D7000 is a problem indeed. 

To me, it's not only too long, but it's also too easy to kink.
I cannot critic the cable quality, as I've never been able to hear any difference between cables.

Yours Oregonian, looks terrific.  

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,953 of 7,464

I cannot critic the cable quality, as I've never been able to hear any difference between cables.

Denon AH-D7000 cables are 7N grade, like TH900.
You won't notice any differences unless you go higher pure silver + 1% gold, but that's very expensive cable.

Q French Silk is copper type2 litz, I think the stock is just a copper, not much improvement other the look IMO.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #6,954 of 7,464

You won't notice any differences unless you go higher pure silver + 1% gold, but that's very expensive cable.

Q French Silk is copper type2 litz, I think the stock is just a copper, not much improvement other the look IMO.

All I was after was the flexibility and lightness.....................score! 

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #6,955 of 7,464
My dealer re-cabled my D7000 before shipping, so I never enxperienced the "Denon kink."

@ The French - great username!
@ Oregonian - great looking cable!

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #6,956 of 7,464
All I was after was the flexibility and lightness.....................score! 

Oh ya, I think that I agree with you. :) This is so far the best looking and flexible cable ever seen for D7K.
I don't mind re-cabling mine one day :) but cost too much for the pure silver.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #6,957 of 7,464
  My dealer re-cabled my D7000 before shipping, so I never enxperienced the "Denon kink."

@ The French - great username!
@ Oregonian - great looking cable!

What cable do you have on your Denon?  And how does it compare to your HE-6?  Been meaning to ask you that.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6,958 of 7,464

i've heard some say that the stock cable isn't very good...but you guys seem to think that it's quality cable, just the implementation (length, ease of kink) is bad.  i was thinking of just chopping some of the length off and putting a balanced connector at the end, maybe making the SE side into an adapter.  i've been going back and forth between the d7000 and the alpha dogs and while the alpha dogs are very good, i just think the d7000 is much more fun to listen to. the only problem i have with the d7000 (besides the cable) is that it doesn't seal as well on my head. the alpha dogs fit perfectly for me, the d7000 not so much.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #6,959 of 7,464
  i've heard some say that the stock cable isn't very good...but you guys seem to think that it's quality cable, just the implementation (length, ease of kink) is bad.

I've always thought the stock cable on the D7000 was great.  Has everything I want / like  (except being removable).  It was the cable on the D5000 that kinked up on me around the y-split for no reason, that was kind of odd.  But the cable on the D7000 I have has held up perfectly.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #6,960 of 7,464
i've heard some say that the stock cable isn't very good...but you guys seem to think that it's quality cable, just the implementation (length, ease of kink) is bad.  i was thinking of just chopping some of the length off and putting a balanced connector at the end, maybe making the SE side into an adapter.  i've been going back and forth between the d7000 and the alpha dogs and while the alpha dogs are very good, i just think the d7000 is much more fun to listen to. the only problem i have with the d7000 (besides the cable) is that it doesn't seal as well on my head. the alpha dogs fit perfectly for me, the d7000 not so much.

I am doing this this weekend, bought couple of Neutrik 4 pins and solder station with mundorf/cardas solder.
I might post some pictures. :wink:

My next project is to completely replace the stock cable with pure silver or siver+gold, :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back