Denon AH-D7000
Sep 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6,841 of 7,464
I swapped an old copper RCA pair from my homefi onto my setup, and the sound was too bodacious..the magic was lost n i quickly put back the silver RCAs;
now its singing again...goes to show each piece of the puzzle plays a part in reaching the magical WOW for each person.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

smashing....Les Miserables Suite is awesome, broadsweeping..crescendo-ing...
my ears being caressed by the reverbs..the phroommmm of the drums ever so often.

geezzz...caress is too mild a word, right at the end of this piece, the drivers were shakkkkking.!!

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #6,842 of 7,464
Hi, I would like advice and recommendations regarding modifying D7000 from single ended to balanced to use with a Schiit Moljnir balanced amp. Please provide impressions using D7000 in balance configuration

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #6,843 of 7,464
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm

this is for a 4pin XLR.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #6,846 of 7,464
i am using the audiogd nfb10.32....not exactly a Nordic gord, 
but i just did some hotswitching on the fly betw SE n BM...(not recommended in case u blow your drivers)

first off the volume diff, on SE i was at vol 10, on BM i had to bring it down to a 5 or 6..
not a life n death matter...almost blew my drivers &(*%^&*(!!!
( this amp is doing about 2watt on SE, and about 6watts on BM  if my memory works)

2nd, the punching of the bass is tighter/harder on BM...say about 23.4% more bite.

3rd, separation is better/more focused on BM...thats another 18.3% clearer..

which do i like?  if i have not listened to BM b4, SE is fine..for vocals, jazz..small ensemble 
but....
biggrin.gif

quicktested on copland /MJ  /  Hayley Westenra / Earth Wnd Fire

=============

Just put Whitney Houston's I AM EVERYYYY WOMAN on the stage...
replayed the first two minutes back n forth...
i am not going back to SE.
beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #6,847 of 7,464

Ok another question then. Burson HA-160 with the D7000 is a great match right? I hear good things but still on the fence so anyone wanna pitch in?

I don't have Burson HA-160 but HA-160DS and it's fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif
even with Audeze LCD2.1 it's pretty amazing for the price.

I am also running the Burson HA-160DS with my D7000 and they're a brilliant combo. The DS uses the alps blue potentiometer not the stepped attenuator for the volume so no issues at all with these that I'm aware of.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #6,848 of 7,464
  i am using the audiogd nfb10.32....not exactly a Nordic gord, 
but i just did some hotswitching on the fly betw SE n BM...(not recommended in case u blow your drivers)

first off the volume diff, on SE i was at vol 10, on BM i had to bring it down to a 5 or 6..
not a life n death matter...almost blew my drivers &(*%^&*(!!!
( this amp is doing about 2watt on SE, and about 6watts on BM  if my memory works)

2nd, the punching of the bass is tighter/harder on BM...say about 23.4% more bite.

3rd, separation is better/more focused on BM...thats another 18.3% clearer..

which do i like?  if i have not listened to BM b4, SE is fine..for vocals, jazz..small ensemble 
but....
biggrin.gif

quicktested on copland /MJ  /  Hayley Westenra / Earth Wnd Fire

=============

Just put Whitney Houston's I AM EVERYYYY WOMAN on the stage...
replayed the first two minutes back n forth...
i am not going back to SE.
beerchug.gif

Thank you for the reply I'm planning to use with AudioGd 10SE3.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #6,849 of 7,464
Just joined the D7000's club last week and to be honest I wasn't impressed at first. I've owned all the older Denons D1100 D2000 D5000 and now D7000. Even the person child that is the D600 and I can't tell you how hyped I was to finally be able to own them and at first I was like... meh... Sounds like a boring D5000. Same great bass but none of the sparkle and energy that made them special. Definitely smoother and cleaner but kinda boring... That was until I added the Alpha pads earlier today and there is was... Its finally sounded like the headphone of legend that so many people loved and admired. Maybe my issue was I still can't get over how amazing the TH600's are and I was hoping that these would match or at least carry the same (to me) perfection. It does not but adding the Alpha's gave it an extra kick in comfort and opened them up quite a bit! 

I still maybe selling them to get me some TH600's but until that time comes I happy knowing that I've got to own one of the best closed cans ever made. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #6,850 of 7,464
Has anyone tried the D7000's with the Alpha Pads, Lawton Angle Pads, and J$ Pads that could comment on their sonic differences compared to stock pads?

(I'm using the Lawton Angle Pads for their increased comfort and larger soundstage; albeit with some tradeoffs as well. I like swapping pads for most of my cans, but am hesitant to drop $60 on the Alpha's if they are very similar to the Angle's. Thoughts?)

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #6,851 of 7,464
Just joined the D7000's club last week and to be honest I wasn't impressed at first. I've owned all the older Denons D1100 D2000 D5000 and now D7000. Even the person child that is the D600 and I can't tell you how hyped I was to finally be able to own them and at first I was like... meh... Sounds like a boring D5000. Same great bass but none of the sparkle and energy that made them special. Definitely smoother and cleaner but kinda boring... That was until I added the Alpha pads earlier today and there is was... Its finally sounded like the headphone of legend that so many people loved and admired. Maybe my issue was I still can't get over how amazing the TH600's are and I was hoping that these would match or at least carry the same (to me) perfection. It does not but adding the Alpha's gave it an extra kick in comfort and opened them up quite a bit! 

I still maybe selling them to get me some TH600's but until that time comes I happy knowing that I've got to own one of the best closed cans ever made. 

Thanks,

:evil:

Hi there! Why don't you go all the way with TH900? I thought that they were superior compared to TH600?

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #6,852 of 7,464

Thanks,

Hi there! Why don't you go all the way with TH900? I thought that they were superior compared to TH600?

Good question... Probably because of price. But if one shows up I'll make a play for it

Thanks,

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #6,853 of 7,464
Alpha pads from MrSpeakers ? I have it and tried on various headphones and never really liked it.
It generates lot of heat and discomfort due to angle-design.  To me making the pads angled is really not an ideal way to increase the sound stage.

Like Senns, beyer, should angle the driver inside the headphone housing.

Anglepads do not distribute the pressure evenly, that results in the frontal clamps, like Audeze as an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back